1/48 Harrier Falklands Harrier GR3

Hi all

Latest completion- Harrier GR3

Another Kinetic OOB build- all good fun.  Excuse the photography please.

I haven't quite mastered the art of getting the main wheels and outriggers to touch the ground together- I've got plenty more Harriers in the stash to get it right!!

Cheers

Shaun

Shaunspacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.pngy4mOGnPTjwU_DEwB9bZ0GIYEB0FI6pVkeLtc3uKp

• Like 66

Very nice work, nothing wrong with your photography. As for the landing gear it works quite well if you leave off the main gear until last,  so the model sits on the front wheel and the outriggers, like a tripod and then adjust the main wheel length accordingly. Hope that makes sense!

gazza l

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, gazza l said:

Very nice work, nothing wrong with your photography. As for the landing gear it works quite well if you leave off the main gear until last,  so the model sits on the front wheel and the outriggers, like a tripod and then adjust the main wheel length accordingly. Hope that makes sense!

gazza l

Thanks everyone for your feedback.  I have just noticed a couple if bits I need to fix up.   Funny what you can see in a photo but not notice in real life!

Hi Gazza

Thanks for your advice...great suggestion.

Well done !!

good painting too !!

For the wheels, it will come with modelling

Dry fitting is the way, guess how I know it ....

Keep carry on your Harrierities... I love it !!

Sincerely.

CC

Mistakes on the Kinetic instructions, for XZ997 during the Falklands War - the red 31 is missing from the fin above the fin flash with the yellow 31s on the outriggers; also at this period the front nozzles were painted and not natural metal, both were dark green. My tip on the u/c has already been suggested - I deepen the slots the pegs on the main u/c leg go into; others remove the pegs from the leg and slide some tubing over it, with more tubing fitted above the u/c bay going up into the fuselage for the leg to slide into. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Nick 

Edited by NG899
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

18 hours ago, gazza l said:

As for the landing gear it works quite well if you leave off the main gear until last,  so the model sits on the front wheel and the outriggers, like a tripod and then adjust the main wheel length accordingly.

A real problem for Harrier models in any scale, according to my friend who was a former head of BAE for North America, is  that the oleo on the front main gear strut is compressed when the Harrier is on the ground, more so than the other main gear strut; almost all kits have the oleo extended. The tripod method is a good one- set the main gear and outriggers in place, and then adjust the stroke of the oleo on the front main strut so that it just touches the ground. Also, the front tire  almost always  is more flattened/bulged at the bottom due to the low tire pressure used.

Mike

• Like 3

16 hours ago, NG899 said:

Mistakes on the Kinetic instructions, for XZ997 during the Falklands War - the red 31 is missing from the fin above the fin flash with the yellow 31s on the outriggers; also at this period the front nozzles were painted and not natural metal, both were dark green. My tip on the u/c has already been suggested - I deepen the slots the pegs on the main u/c leg go into; others remove the pegs from the leg and slide some tubing over it, with more tubing fitted above the u/c bay going up into the fuselage for the leg to slide into. 

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Nick 

Thanks Nick

I'll paint the nozzles and look for some numbers...

Thanks again everyone for your comments

• 4 weeks later...

Crikey Shaun, you were quick off the mark on this one.

Lovely build , can you fix the gear, or is it too well glued? I have the FRS1 on my to do list this year. Might build it alongside the AV-8A.

Bruce 

Great looking model Shaun! 😀 I had the same problem with the main gear on my Monogram AV-8B Harrier; they just barely miss touching down.  It has bugged me ever since it was built, back around 1988.    Your model is extremely well done sir!  :clap2:

Thanks very much Bruce and Gary!

I might fix the gear when I have an idle moment but have moved on for now...a very undisciplined modeller am I!

I really enjoy building the Kinetic Harrier family, they go together nicely.

Cheers

Shaun

• Like 1

looks great mate and the photos are fantastic. And a plane with an interesting history. A deck landing accident, damage during gale force winds on the island and repaired bullet holes from small arms fire. And they flew the nuts off it during the war.

I have recently become fascinated by the Falklands air war and have a Kinetic Sea Harrier ready to build for a diorama to include an A-4 from the Sanchez/Morgan encounter. But short nosed A-4’s basically dont exist anymore. Thanks Hasegawa!

Nice job.