the venerable Airfix Westland Scout 1/72. Falklands war version.

A proyect taken again this holy week time, after more than 10 year stored in a shelf corner. The oldie Airfix AH1 1/72 planned to be a Falklands war subjet. 

Also the Airwaves weapons set was selected, but due the metalic material adds a lot of weigth to the thin plastic skies something must be do.  details and questions  as follow:

1. cut the access doors has shows some real  photos ( is posible the 4 doors were descarted during the war ?)

2. make the undercarriage skies with thin steel rod, available in some handcrafts stores. the partes were fixed with 2 part epoxy.

3. polish the clear part, built scratch seats, instrument panels and the underside tubing/anttenas

4. detail the rotor hub with plastic from spare parts box.

a step later will be detail the turbine and other parts like the AS.11 missiles launchers

in the last photos a dry test , proving the new undercarriage will support the ancient airwaves parts.

finallly a question regarding the falkland colours used, after check in the forum some topics related I can't find a clear answer, please if someboy has the answers:

1. the Scout colour squeme suggest dark green and black, but what is the humbrol paint suggested ( in colour photos looks like a olive drab tone) not the humbrol #30 tone.

2. the lettering as ARMY, ROYAL MARINES and codes were overpainted with black ?

thanks a lot and comments are welcomed: (and praying that Airfix release a new Westland and Wasp model kits)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Carlos Guate
spelling errors corrected
  • Like 18
  • Carlos Guate changed the title to the venerable Airfix Westland Scout 1/72. Falklands war version.

Looks good I like it

Can I just say here NEVER use Humbrol 30 as a dark green for any UK aircraft, ever.

If you are using Humbrol paints you should use Humbrol 163 RAF Dark Green, in Tamiya use XF-81 Dark Green 2 (RAF).

Humbrol 30 has been quoted for years but is a too bright green, nice if you want a basic green but just not for UK aircraft from any period I can recall.

Wasps often flew without doors because they needed less weight so  they could take loads further, Scouts less so.

I have this photograph of a Scout transferring casualties in the Falklands which show the rear doors removed.

It may be useful to you.

Casualties-transfer-to-a-Westland-Scout-

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm enjoying this build a lot Carlos, the extra interior detail is excellent but the skids are gorgeous. I really sat up and started paying attention when I saw them. Beautiful work.

18 hours ago, John_W said:

Remember the tinted part of the canopy was black, not green as shown on the box top. 

Ok, thanks for the info, a detail I didn´t know. the tone seems like the car tinted windows.....

My brother fixed them for the Army Air Corps for many years. It always annoyed him that the box was incorrect. Apparently the  prototype had a green tinted roof and the kit was based on that.

• Like 1

Anyone interested in the Scout (or Beaver, Skeeter, Sioux and Auster 1 and 9) should look up the Historic Army Aircraft Flight o Facebook as they post lots of photos taken during the maintenance carried out on these aircraft with the intention of assisting modellers.  

I have 2 kits of the scout one i will change to a wasp the other as per above. I found this site useful

https://www.pprune.org/rotorheads/523029-westland-scout-research.html

I bought this to convert to a wasp

https://www.shapeways.com/product/WEBLNRDC9/westland-wasp-conversion-kit-for-1-72-airfix-scout?optionId=65170056&li=marketplace

They also do the relevant rockets for both scout and wasp, there is a new decal sheet covering these as well, cant find the link yet.

The airwaves kit is great, oh and i will try to find the link to new engines, again they are 3d printed. 

Good luck and watching this with interest.

• 4 weeks later...

hi again, to present some advances related.

basic detail made from fine wire and clean the old airwaves parts...

every union with superglue and 5 minutes epoxi.  a really hard work fit the peewer parts

spacer.png

the access doors will be done with disposable plate plastic, like a sandwich, plastic-transparent-plastic

spacer.png

the detail with fine wire (more will be added after the final touch

spacer.png

an the paint (model master and humbrol used)

spacer.png

spacer.png

thanks for your comments and a question about serial related.

what are the serials of the Scout involved in the Falklands war ?

the RED DANGER sign on tail was overpainted ?

for your comments and answers, thanks in advance,

Carlos

• Like 9

The task force had six Scouts attached to 3 Commando. XT629 was one Royal Marines Scout, shot down by Argentine Pucaras on May 28, 1982, while supporting 2 PARA near Camilla Creek.  Pilot Lt. R. J. Nunn, D.F.C. was killed. 

The task force also had three Scouts attached to 656 AAC Squadron.  None was lost, according to my source.

I do not know other serials aside from the one given above.

Alex