Why did this paint do this? Hataka Red Line

David Womby

Can anyone suggest what happened here?  It is Hataka Red Line - acrylic for airbrushing - but I must confess to applying this with a brush.

spacer.png

This was the 3rd coat, applied 2 or 3 weeks since the last coat, and in a few places it acted like there was oil preventing it from staying in place.   It isn't oily, honest.  So any thoughts as to why it did this.  It's not catastrophic but a bit annoying and I'd like to not have it recur.

Thanks,

David

How much has the model been handled since painting? It does look as if something has been on the surface preventing the paint from adhering properly and water based acrylics are very fussy about even small amounts of grease. 

Did you wash the model before painting to get rid of all the release agent? I've found some models from the same firm seem to be saturated in the stuff whereas others appear not to be affected.

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

How much has the model been handled since painting? It does look as if something has been on the surface preventing the paint from adhering properly and water based acrylics are very fussy about even small amounts of grease. 

It could be finger oil if it was that one area but it also happened in areas underneath where nothing oily could have got near it.  Very odd but  hopefully it will rub out and disappear with a recoat.

David

2 hours ago, iainpeden said:

Did you wash the model before painting to get rid of all the release agent? I've found some models from the same firm seem to be saturated in the stuff whereas others appear not to be affected.

Yes, I did wash it before painting and this is the 3rd coat.  This didn't happen with the 1st or 2nd coat.

David

4 minutes ago, iainpeden said:

I managed to use an enamel thinner in an acrylic paint a while ago - might be something along those lines?

'fraid not.   This was brushed straight.  Not thinned.    I did shake it well for a full minute.  Longer than I think I did for the first 2 coats but maybe it was not long enough and there were some unmixed parts in the paint? i.e. the thinners in the paint separated and didn't get mixed properly?

David

It's  a bit of a mystery, did the paint go on alright with any signs of it not taking? I assume it went on alright but just checking. The only other thing I can think of is something landing on the paintwork while you were doing something else. I have had something like that happen to me, although with somewhat more serious results 

I had this recently on a paint mule that I hadn't used for several weeks. I wonder if that is a clue. That was using Vallejo Game Air paint. It looked exactly like your image but as it was a mule I wasn't concerned. The paint worked fine on the real model.

Maybe dust or something like that gets in between the existing layer and the new paint?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mr T said:

It's  a bit of a mystery, did the paint go on alright with any signs of it not taking? I assume it went on alright but just checking. The only other thing I can think of is something landing on the paintwork while you were doing something else. I have had something like that happen to me, although with somewhat more serious results 

It started to happen while I was applying the paint.   Ah well, I guess it will stay a mystery.  I'll give it a rubdown with  1000 grit and apply another coat.  Hopefully that will look OK.

David

• Like 1

Just been looking at the website for Hataka, and the tech info for the red line of paints.

According to Hataka, Red Line is specifically designed for airbrushing, and not brush painting and needs thinning before use (30/70 to 50/50 thinner to paint). They also state that ideally, red line should be painted onto a primed surface. Did you prime first or paint directly onto the plastic surface? Also how long did you wait between coats? It's always possible that if the previous coat had not fully dried/cured, when applying the next coat, it "wetted" the previous coat and "dragged" the paint along with the next layer. I'm not making assumptions, I'm giving suggestions as to why you've had the problem and using the technical information from the Hataka website to provide ideas and solutions.

If brush painting Hataka paints, they do a Blue line which is formulated for brush painting

• Like 1

To me it looks more towards paint lifting. When I get a grease spot and paint doesn't stick the edges are kinda round, these ones look jaggedy, like the paint coat is being torn by the brush.

• Like 1