Douglas DC-8 21 Revell 1/144

Not content with limiting myself to five unfinished airliner projects, I've started on a sixth. This is more of a refurb job. I originally built this model back around 1990 but it had long been confined to a shelf in my garage as not being "worthy" of my modern skills (cough). It was originally in the colours of Eastern Airlines (Golden Falcon scheme) - which was quite nice but the model wasn't that well built.

So, I have now stripped it back and have started on the process of rebuilding to a better standard. I have also obtained some resin Pratt and Whitney JT3C turbojets which are correct for the series 21. I will remove the original engines shortly - which are not very accurate and relate to the original Series 10 DC-8s. I will finish it in the colours of Spanish carter airline Air Spain - which were a common sight at British and Irish airports up until the mid 1970s ferrying holidaymakers to the exotic glamour of Torremolinos and Malaga.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 11

The original kit is very old and was released by Revell at the time the first DC-8s were entering service. As a result it is based on the original production version, the Series 10.

The Series 10 was powered by Pratt and Whitney JT3C pure turbojets. Virtually all of these Series 10 aircraft were upgraded to either Series 20 or 30 versions. This involved either replacing or upgrading the original engines to either JT4As (Series 10) or more powerful JT3C (Series 30). The main distinguishing feature of these upgraded early DC-8s is the ring assembly placed behind the jet exhaust. To accommodate this fitting, the pylons carrying the engines were enlarged. 

The kit (being a Series 10) only features the early engines and pylon arrangement and, as a result, really limits your options regarding colour schemes. 

By getting the resin JT4As (produced by F-RSIN), this opens up the possibilities no end.

By the early 1970s, these first generation of DC-8s were being retired by their original owners as they were replaced by the turbofan powered (JT3D) Series 50 models and the stretched and modernised Super 60 family. Consequently, the early 8s started being used by charter airlines. I loved watching them coming and going. Being pure jets, they were noisy and smokey - and full of character.

I originally bought this model in the early 1990s. It had re-appeared (after a long absence) in the box of Mexican Revell associate Lodela. And it then disappeared again. I haven't seen it for sale for ages.

I also have the Revell/Lodela boxing of the DC-8 Super 61/63 which may very well make its appearance on this forum before too long.

In more recent times the Minicraft DC-8 series of kits has been the "go to" choice for anybody building a DC-8. I have one in the stash and I am sure they are an order of magnitude more sophisticated than these old Revell kits - but I love "ancient" plastic and by all accounts, the Revell DC-8s are not too bad.

Edited by Eric Mc
  • Like 2

Ohh,a Revell DC-8🤗

They may be old,but I really like them.I finished quite a number of them and still have another one unbuild in my stash.

Looking forward to your refurbished DC-8.

Great choice of livery.

It would be nice if Revell,or Atlantis Models,would ever re-release these kits

• Like 1

• 1 year later...