Initial Tiger 1 no-100 502nd Pz.Abt Leningrad sector 1942

• M3talpig changed the title to Tiger 1 no-100 502nd Pz.Abt Leningrad sector 1942
23 hours ago, M3talpig said:

yes i was but it might be a little boring...as i will be doing it as it would have been seen during mobility trials at Aberdeen proving grounds...which means boring ole olive drab and no markings to speak of

Well, it's a very big beast of thing, and interesting to look at, I think the size and shape of the thing would carry a simple olive drab paint job maybe, and the build log would be interesting, far from boring, the Takom kit can be tweaked a little bit as well I think, I would be following along that's for sure, because I was thinking of doing one as well ;)

Matt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Farmerboy said:

Inspirational build Steve, you may have turned my head a little bit more as l’m becoming tempted by armoured subjects over aircraft, what is happening to me!!!!

I've ended up with now 2 Tigers ( so far) after involvement with this...be warned !

• Haha 2

Mmm, Tiger 100 502nd and side stowage bins.  Was this the Tiger 100 that the Russians captured at Leningrad?  I assume it was the same tank being '100' in 502nd at Leningrad and with side turret bin, the latter being somewhat unusual I think.

Marshall Zhukov inspecting Tiger 100 captured from Leningrad.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Except that tank only had one side turret bin, on the left.  Note horseshoe.

Perhaps it did have two side turret bins, and one was damaged, removed before capture. 

spacer.png

https://blog.tiger-tank.com/incombat/tiger-combat-debut/

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2017/06/27/tiger-and-max-december-1942/

Not withstanding anything else, a truly exceptional build!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Cerberus said:

Well, it's a very big beast of thing, and interesting to look at, I think the size and shape of the thing would carry a simple olive drab paint job maybe, and the build log would be interesting, far from boring, the Takom kit can be tweaked a little bit as well I think, I would be following along that's for sure, because I was thinking of doing one as well ;)

Matt

Well must admit i have a bit of a fascination with the T-program and all its children........ as a build i think i might be able to make it interesting as i have been unable to find a photo etch kit for it within the UK so a lot of scratch building will be order of the day........ who knows.

9 hours ago, Harry Callahan said:

Excellent work i like especially the chipping effects at the gun, looks so realistic. 

A masterpiece. 

You made my dayyyy.

Oh thank god Harry ...for a minute i thought you were going to get your huge weapon out :D

7 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Inspirational build Steve, you may have turned my head a little bit more as l’m becoming tempted by armoured subjects over aircraft, what is happening to me!!!!

Come over to the darkside ...actually we have a bit of a habit of corrupting the other classes here...we nabbed Andy from the car modelling scene just recently .......... as i said on your thread you show great promise ..your Tiger was a fantastic rendition.

6 hours ago, Phil1960 said:

Outstanding job, Steve! Do you know the story behind the long exhaust pipes?

Ciao

Filippo

Hi Filippo.... i believe it was simply a way of keeping exhaust fumes under some kind of control..... they are field made mods as were the turret bins and only one or two of the very first nine Tigers had them ..... in Otto Carius book "Tigers in the mud " Otto does talk about how two grenadiers were found dead on the engine deck of a Tiger in his company after falling asleep in the cold conditions and being overcome by fumes ...he said from that day on whenever he had tank riders he always warned them not to fall asleep on the deck.

3 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Mmm, Tiger 100 502nd and side stowage bins.  Was this the Tiger 100 that the Russians captured at Leningrad?  I assume it was the same tank being '100' in 502nd at Leningrad and with side turret bin, the latter being somewhat unusual I think.

Hi Peter ...yes that's the same vehicle on display in Moscow in 1943 at the war trophies exhibition....... the artwork you have found there shows how she was pulled from the bog she got stuck in...there were actually two Tigers captured that day 100 was intact and the second had destroyed her transmission try to get free.... as for the turret bins there is some photos of her at the war trophies display from the other side and you can clearly see the remains of the brackets on the right side of the turret were the bin was torn off. i have chosen to depict her shortly after arrival in the sector but my original intention was to show her shortly after capture...but a famous modeller beat me to it so didn't want to copy .........and thank you for the kind words

2 hours ago, WarhammerAdjacent said:

Great job! I know there’s a lot of incredible detail but the mud splatter at the back is what caught my eye, absolutely spot on and helps to tell a story.

Thanks so much...i must admit the mud effects did give me a sleepless night or two .....you can really mess a model up if you get it wrong 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pig of the Week said:

I've ended up with now 2 Tigers ( so far) after involvement with this...be warned !

I put in an order with Precision ice and snow for there snow powder .......... the base is coming on well also have two figure on route so should be fun over the next few days as the display base comes together...................spent last night hand making scale barb wire from 50 gauge copper wire ...i swear i have done irreparable damage to not only my brain but my eyes too boot  :drunk:

• Like 2

On 4/7/2021 at 8:16 AM, Phil1960 said:

Outstanding job, Steve! Do you know the story behind the long exhaust pipes?

Ciao

Filippo

The exhausts would belch huge flames which the Russians could see from far off. This why later models of the tank were built with deflectors. But the crews in Russia with their newly invented Tigers had to come up with their own solution.

David

Edited by DByrden
typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Model Mate said:

wonderful result on this one. A very unconventional big cat and beautifully finished.

Thanks model mate

33 minutes ago, DByrden said:

The exhausts would belch huge flames which the Russians could see from far off. This why later models of the tank were built with deflectors. But the crews in Russia with their newly invented Tigers had to come up with their own solution.

David

Bloomin obvious really...don't know why i didn't think of that....... and it's such a simple fix......

Not bad Steve not bad at all.....infact absolutely awesome work mate simply stunning the best Tiger l I've seen to date 👍. However I think the best is yet to come....when this beast is sitting on it's base with the figure in place only then will we see the true masterpiece in all it's glory so get your finger out and crack on I'm excited to see the end result 🙂. Builds like this provide huge inspiration to people like me and others I'm sure and are the main reason I switched from car's to armour so keep them coming. Now that's more than enough praise for one day mate so when you're head has shrunk back to an acceptable level climb out the turret and crack on 😉. Brilliant mate absolute class 👏 👌 👍 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, theskits62 said:

Great work well done

Thanks bud

1 hour ago, mick said:

great work

Many thanks mick

22 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Not bad Steve not bad at all.....infact absolutely awesome work mate simply stunning the best Tiger l I've seen to date 👍. However I think the best is yet to come....when this beast is sitting on it's base with the figure in place only then will we see the true masterpiece in all it's glory so get your finger out and crack on I'm excited to see the end result 🙂. Builds like this provide huge inspiration to people like me and others I'm sure and are the main reason I switched from car's to armour so keep them coming. Now that's more than enough praise for one day mate so when you're head has shrunk back to an acceptable level climb out the turret and crack on 😉. Brilliant mate absolute class 👏 👌 👍 

Ohhh he's back.........where the heck have you been....... and where's the rest of the horsemen.......been far too quiet around here lately...............starting to feel a bit neglected :D 

21 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

First class work Steve, it matches your reference photo perfectly. 

It almost makes me want to build a Tiger... almost.

Wayne

Go on do it Wayne the darkside is calling :D

17 hours ago, eazy10 said:

Really nice job. And interesting camo. 

They really were so varied. 

Thanks for the kind words.... :thanks: