Wingnut Wings 1:32 Junkers D.1

Hi all,

I've had this in my stash for a couple for years (I was lucky enough to get it from WNW before they closed and the kits started going for even crazier money!), but was kind of avoiding it as I didn't think I would make a good enough job of it. I eventually bit the bullet, and I should have built it ages ago, it's a lovely kit. The level of detail etc. is very well known, but it's so well engineered and thought out as well, I really enjoyed building it. Of course, it's no accident that my first ever WW1 kit is a monoplane with only one bit of rigging at the undercarriage! :) It's not perfect, but any issues are definitely my own, and in the end I'm happy enough with how it turned out. There is stunning detail in the cockpit and its enclosure that can't be seen, but I do recommend looking up pictures online to see how that subassembly comes together. @Viking has a great build thread on here that I found really helpful. It took me about 2 and a half months in total, but I didn't get near the bench for a few weeks in the middle of that, so it's a relatively quick build, for me anyhow!

Anyhow, here are the pics, any comments etc. are always welcome!

Kit: Wingnut Wings Junkers D.1
Scale: 1:32
Paint & Weathering: MRP, Tamiya and AK Interactive paints, Oils and Pastels for weathering
Extras: Some wire for the throttle, gun, rudder controls and magnetos.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 47

You have made a superb job of that Jason, it looks fantastic. The engine is particularly good, I love that you wired up the magnetos, it really does add that extra touch.

Glad you found my build log helpful too! Do you any more Wingnuts in the pipeline? (such a shame that they ceased production.).

Cheers

John 

• Thanks 1

Thanks a lot everyone! Yeah @Viking it was your build that encouraged me to do the wiring. And I was delighted to see that WNW had predrilled holes in the long tubes that the magneto wires come out of, little things like that really made the kit, their engineering being designed just in case you decided to add optional wiring! Now if only they'd predrilled the actual magnetos themselves! 😀

No other WNW kits in my stashette, and I won't be buying more at the prices they go for now.

Thanks everyone...

On 4/9/2021 at 9:32 PM, sanfrandragon said:

This looks awesome.  I particularly appreciate how you got the decals to conform to the corrugations, the layering on the prop and the finish on the exhaust.

I'm actually quite happy with the prop, my first time trying that, and very happy with the exhaust as the first time I tried it I wasn't happy so I gave it another go...

• 1 month later...
On 4/10/2021 at 10:32 PM, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks everyone...

I'm actually quite happy with the prop, my first time trying that, and very happy with the exhaust as the first time I tried it I wasn't happy so I gave it another go...

What did you do differently on the prop?

Stunning build.

Meng has released the WNW Focker Dr.I, so there is hope that the other molds will return as well.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sanfrandragon said:

What did you do differently on the prop?

Nothing different as such, I'd just never done a WW1 laminated prop before. I painted it the lighter wood colour, put thin strips of masking tape on it, painted the darker colour, brushed on some oil paint to add some "grain" and bring it all together and then varnished it. It's not perfect but it's not a bad attempt I think.

• Like 1

Thanks a lot! Have to say, the result is down to the kit, it's just excellent. Those are kit supplied PE machine gun barrel shrouds, they do look the part. And apart from the wiring, the engine is straight OOB