Source of Wargaming Designs

nheather

Thinking f getting a resin printer, but my main use would be wargaming models - figures and vehicles, 10mm, 15/18mm, 20mm and 28mm.

I’ve seen what is available on thingyverse but interested whether there are any sites that offer higher quality designs for sale.

Anyone know of any.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hello Nigel,

there are plenty of vehicles and figures on CGtrader and they also have some that are free to download.  There are lots of subjects, including military vehicles and sci-fi types.   I have bought files from CGtrader and also downloaded free stuff from them.

Mike

• Like 1

Thanks, there are some good looking tanks on that site, a little pricey but okay for my 28mm skirmish games.

Anyone know of anywhere that does historical figures, like Napoleonic.

Cheers,

Nigel

Try - www.Thingverse.com - I've not looked for Napoleonic figures but there are some medievel knights there.

One thing though, I would look at the cost of printing. I think you might find that commercial plastic figures would be cheaper.

25 minutes ago, Niall said:

Try - www.Thingverse.com - I've not looked for Napoleonic figures but there are some medievel knights there.

One thing though, I would look at the cost of printing. I think you might find that commercial plastic figures would be cheaper.

Not come across any 15/18mm in plastic.  White metal 15/18mm figures are about £0.48 and £0.65 for each infantry figure and £1.00 to £1.40 for each cavalry figure.  Gets quite pricey when you need to have hundreds in an army.  So I reckon there are substantial savings to be made provided I can find the designs to print from.

They do have some on thingiverse but the designs tend to be quite basic - you can’t complain - they are free, but I prefer to pay for better ones.

Cheers,

Nigel

27 minutes ago, nheather said:

Thanks, there are some good looking tanks on that site, a little pricey but okay for my 28mm skirmish games.

They may sound pricey but they are not if you want to produce a few.  Look at it another way, if you bought a model kit or 3D printed tank then you would have one tank.  If you buy an STL  file (or whichever medium file you want) then, for the one price, you can print one, ten or even one hundred tanks.

Mike

4 minutes ago, bootneck said:

They may sound pricey but they are not if you want to produce a few.  Look at it another way, if you bought a model kit or 3D printed tank then you would have one tank.  If you buy an STL  file (or whichever medium file you want) then, for the one price, you can print one, ten or even one hundred tanks.

Mike

Yes I appreciate that.  Even at $12 they are well priced, but at 28mm I’m playing skirmish games like Bolt Action and Chain of Command where you tend to only field single vehicles.  At 15mm and 10mm you will want a lot more but there are some pretty acceptable free designs on thingiverse for those scales.

Cheers,

Nigel

What someone wins on the swings, others lose on the roundabout.  In other words, whilst it sounds that you won't benefit from these file prices, others will by printing out lots. :winkgrin:

Mike

1 hour ago, bootneck said:

What someone wins on the swings, others lose on the roundabout.  In other words, whilst it sounds that you won't benefit from these file prices, others will by printing out lots. :winkgrin:

Mike

I don’t doubt, I really can’t speak for others.  Clearly if I wanted to print of multiple models then it is good value.  But what I was saying that for me personally, for 28mm skirmish gaming I would only need one.  At that rate, $12 for the design file is not such a great saving over a rubicon model for £18.

Cheers,

Nigel

On 04/04/2021 at 14:50, nheather said:

Thinking f getting a resin printer, but my main use would be wargaming models - figures and vehicles, 10mm, 15/18mm, 20mm and 28mm.

I’ve seen what is available on thingyverse but interested whether there are any sites that offer higher quality designs for sale.

Anyone know of any.

Cheers,

Nigel

Hi Nigel

Try www.myminifactory.com

I use it a lot at the school I teach in.  It has some excellent pieces and they seem to guarantee that they will print, unlike those on thingiverse......

Hutch

• Like 1

Your best bet is probably Patreon, actually.  It seems to be a popular platform for people who do miniatures - you can find artists through various social media outlets.

2 hours ago, Hutch said:

Hi Nigel

Try www.myminifactory.com

I use it a lot at the school I teach in.  It has some excellent pieces and they seem to guarantee that they will print, unlike those on thingiverse......

Hutch

Thanks for the tip.  They seem to have a number all at decent prices.  My only disappointment is that they tend to be of a generic or cartoon style.

I guess one of the things that makes Napoleonic wargaming so expensive is not just the number of figures involved but the massive variety of unit types, nations and regiments and the complexity of the uniforms.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ICMF said:

Your best bet is probably Patreon, actually.  It seems to be a popular platform for people who do miniatures - you can find artists through various social media outlets.

I don’t think commisioning a job would be cost realistic - it’s not like detailed figures are not already available, it’s just that as they are metal and because you need so many it costs a lot.

1:72 packs like Airfix, Revell, Zevezda, HaT are nicely priced but unfortunately don’t lend themselves to rank and file units because of the variety of different poses in each box - the cavalry and artillery are pretty good it is the infantry that are the issue.

Cheers,

Nigel

Not commissioning.  Find artists you like, support them via Patreon and get access to their catalogue of previous works.

Which also works as broader advice.  Rather than asking a scale modelling discussion board where to find stuff that is off-topic (since any response here is going to be a generic 'here are some of the mainstream file sites'), follow stuff that specializes in your interests, find things you like, and then figure out where those people got it from.  There are probably various wargaming reddit and facebook groups for whatever thing you are interested in, and the various resin printing groups are full of miniatures people...  it just takes a bit of legwork to find stuff.

Edited by ICMF