Hobbyboss Tiger 1 - What to work on?

So whilst I wait for the figures to arrive (and paint), here’s a few photos of the 321. 
I’m pleased so far. I’m happiest with my painting of the tracks and I think that I’ve done a fair job on my first attempt at zimmerit. 

Overall, it’s my best tank so far...

What else would you do? Shall I call it a day on the weathering? I just don’t feel finished but I can’t quite identify what else I should do (other than dust the rubber around the wheels).

Also any tips on how to make the gun and mantlet look any better?

Thanks all.

0362BB00-07FF-4083-8E01-CD3D4FEBC13E

C8349283-DD1B-4150-A95E-D22B075E3670

1C38C066-E030-46CE-877A-F1B9ECEECE41

BD58FEB8-5A56-4BCB-9B39-A8D6AAA4F54B

C0B4778F-6EA9-4D21-96AA-9FFB47284E62

AE93973A-2576-4F10-A2E3-7FAAC2739182

5549054F-4B26-43C4-8020-B69BC23A956E

• Like 8

Looks good, if its a Normandy tank it could probably use some more dust on it ! :)

Is this the HB 1/16 job?.. I'm awaiting deliv. one of those myself, did you do a WIP thread on this at all..?

Also assuming it's the above kit, did you use the Zim 'scratch' tools that come with the kit ?

Edited by Pig of the Week

Hi, The Great Escape. 

This is looking great, from where I'm sitting. How did you do the Zimmerit? I have the ATAK Zimm resin set, blooming expensive but lovely quality with it.

I'll be interested to see your crew-figures, once they're done. 

Thanks for sharing with us.

Chris.   

It’s the hobbyboss 1:16 kit. I can thoroughly recommend it. It went together so well - there’s nothing I could say to fault the kit itself. The boxes it comes in are impressive themselves!

This was my first attempt at zimmerit and I used the supplied tools, which come in a variety of scraper sizes. I just used regular Milliput. I tackled a side each night and dotted tiny balls of milliput, no more than 5mm which I compressed just using my fingers. Then plenty of water and the side of a ruler to make it really smooth and thin. You need to dip the tool in water after pretty much each scrape. Have baby wipes ready to wipe the excess away. Baby wipes worked better than tissues.

It was probably the most fun I’ve had with a build.

Can’t wait for my figures to arrive as that’s what I really enjoy doing.

• Like 2

Hello. I am not an expert modeler but I can say that you have been impressive. I love the 1/16 Hobby Boss Tiger I and would like to build it one day. The zimmerit has been very realistic. I think there are some things that can be improved. First of all, something that attracts a lot of attention is the links of the turret chain. They shouldn't be shiny, they should be completely rusted. On the other hand, I would add pigmented powder to all horizontal surfaces of the hull. And it would add dirt and dust to the rubber treads on the undercarriage wheels. I hope to be of help. All the best.

• Thanks 1

Phew, 1/16...got the fright of my life, I thought it was 1/35 for a while, and you were thinking it was missing something!  Blood fantastic job!

The only thing that stands out for me, as mentioned by others, are the metal bright spare tracks on the turret, especially given the rusting that appears everywhere else.  The spare tracks should not have any shiny metal at all.  Also, the metal shine on the tools would be dulled or even rusted unless freshly used.

Otherwise it's a ripper!

3 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Phew, 1/16...got the fright of my life, I thought it was 1/35 for a while, and you were thinking it was missing something!  Blood fantastic job!

The only thing that stands out for me, as mentioned by others, are the metal bright spare tracks on the turret, especially given the rusting that appears everywhere else.  The spare tracks should not have any shiny metal at all.  Also, the metal shine on the tools would be dulled or even rusted unless freshly used.

Otherwise it's a ripper!

I will take the spare links off and weather them today. 
I purposely didn’t weather them... this was a conscious decision... I assumed that as they were ‘spare’ that they wouldn’t have received the same wearing as the tracks in use.

Exactly why I came to Britmodeller! Thanks for the advice all.

Glad to help. 

Off Topic:  Bournemouth...stayed overnight at the Heathlands Hotel (a mistake...) while driving to London via Hastings, Dover and Canterbury from visiting TE Lawrence's Clouds Hill, Corfe Castle, Stonehenge and of course the Bovington Tank Museum in 2017 during the Great Heatwave.  It was 38 degrees C at Stonehenge, black sky and 80 percent humidity, just like being in the tropics, and not an air conditioner anywhere.

9 hours ago, The Great Escape said:

It’s a shame I bought the wrong figure as the artillery guy came out quite well. I couldn’t resist putting him in the turret whilst I wait for the correct figure to arrive.

E1BEA16C-507F-4613-8C26-80413D0C23A7

EF62D1E1-2C26-4E13-8632-E76CAA448A52

You've given him a good character in the painting... I wouldn't want to be trying to squeeze into a tank hatch ( or worse, trying to escape from it ) with  all the MP 40 pouches and stuff on ! :)

• Thanks 1