Too much sand.....

My humble offering of the Tamiya 1/35 M3 Grant Mk 1, made OOB.  Main issue with this was the tracks supplied but as the replacement Bronco tracks cost more than the kit, I stuck with the kit ones.

My first attempt at using an airbrush on this build, using Humbrol Matt 103 as the base coat.  Wash using AK Enamel Wash and a mix of Vallejo pigments for the finish.

I've gone for a dusty/sand weathering on this one, as I hope the pictures show.

y4ma5RZfilVeQwXqwReNzYPmHX1k-bmrlVztquCs

y4mhoJtU2rfngmsNqnU3hFTgta-u9hlwSwJUtyhl

y4m94_WgX8kDAy3jWW9ZNbkDRY0Zb73-oWcjl-pw

y4mUXiXohnyrgHLubAA7MUKul8CTcLIZyLh0AGBi

y4mwwHPM9RIDOjrbjQlawpqq2sEfVSO4lOT8m8UQ

y4mI1S-Rvg7hNs9MdeK1oE5em3Z3h-JfaIVfuyUT

y4m65WRg29Zjdccs9jMou_rP0-iFi2rKUdb8cuue

y4mSP9D8um2SlGcg2qyZ97a9lOBXWxHMBCQ5Alke

Critique/comments from the aficionados out there please!

The next build is a complete shift from AFV - trying out a build of the Airfix Bristol Blenheim Mk IV!

Steve

• Like 33

Looks good to me.

I'd have tried to make the tracks look a bit rusty on the wheel side, and a bit more "sandy" overall.

I had the same problem with my Chally 2 Desertised, but went completely the other way and applied far too much weathering !

Good luck with the Blenheim, I suspect filler and sanding sticks will be required 😀

• 9 months later...
On 04/04/2021 at 14:16, Test Valley Models said:

Looks good to me.

I'd have tried to make the tracks look a bit rusty on the wheel side, and a bit more "sandy" overall.

I had the same problem with my Chally 2 Desertised, but went completely the other way and applied far too much weathering !

Good luck with the Blenheim, I suspect filler and sanding sticks will be required 😀

And you so right.......the kit I'd got was an old one.  The undercarriage was an absolute pain in the $$$$ and the less said about the transparency the better!. It's currently on the shelf as I've reverted back to type and am halfway through a build of the Tamiya 1/35 MK III/IV 'Queen of the Desert' (I do like modelling desert vehicles)

I think that's pretty good. I like the base and it's a nice tidy build.

I suggest using a wash that's closer to your base colour. The very dark shadows/dirt seem a bit out of place in the desert environment. Same with the dark tracks and tyres, they wouldn't be black for long.

• Like 1

That looks great. Nothing wrong with the kit tracks either in this case. It's not always necessary to swap them for aftermarket ones. The overall effect is more important, IMHO...

13 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

I suggest using a wash that's closer to your base colour. The very dark shadows/dirt seem a bit out of place in the desert environment. Same with the dark tracks and tyres, they wouldn't be black for long.

Interesting point...I had used AK Enamel wash for DAK vehicles and AK Enamel Streaking Grime  (I know this is an Allied vehicle), as I bought the washes specifically because the majority of my stash is German AFV that I'm modelling in DAK finish.  

12 hours ago, IanC said:

That looks great. Nothing wrong with the kit tracks either in this case. It's not always necessary to swap them for aftermarket ones. The overall effect is more important, IMHO...

That's my thoughts exactly - I've got back into modelling as a hobby as I only have limited time  available due to my work, as well as limited budget.  My intention is to enjoy it (which I do) and not necessarily be (totally) historically accurate (I can see the keyboards twitching now :) ) - most of my builds will OOB and I will add extras, as I've had a bash at making tarps from tissues

13 hours ago, Bertie Psmith said:

13 minutes ago, Watto64 said:

Interesting point...I had used AK Enamel wash for DAK vehicles and AK Enamel Streaking Grime  (I know this is an Allied vehicle), as I bought the washes specifically because the majority of my stash is German AFV that I'm modelling in DAK finish.  

Would something like this be better? spacer.pngand maybe a similar one for British (Allied) desert vechicles?

34 minutes ago, Watto64 said:

Would something like this be better? spacer.pngand maybe a similar one for British (Allied) desert vechicles?

I'm afraid I couldn't advise on a particular type as I make my own up from humbrol paint and thinners. I just pick and mix a colour by eye to sorta match any photos I have.

• Like 2

Yes. All those enamel washes are fine and can of course be applied to any model, irrespective of subject, but it's much cheaper to make your own. Either using enamel paint as above, or in my case oils - raw or burnt umber, Paynes grey and black etc - and odourless thinners. The tubes of oils last for ages. And you can also apply them neat for other effects.