Gloster Javelin FAW9R 1/48 Airfix

Finally I got out this big box from far shelf.
It's stunning model kit and I want build it. 
While I don't know what it will be marking variant, but I want plane with refuelling probe and grey-green camo. Perhaps I'll take variant from box, but maybe I'll find other. If it will be plane with history this will be very great.
I have wheel bays from Eduard, Master Pitot tube and some intakes from Quickboost for add 
And I saw the great build by Antti_K (HERE). I'll be use it like example for my model
I'll be very glad to your comments, critique and notices )))

IMG_20210228_133203

• Like 10

This is one of the best kits that Airfix have produced in recent years and captures the look and presence of the full-sized jet very nicely.

As far as I can remember 23, 33, 60 and 64 Squadrons flew Javelins equipped with AAR probes, some jets on 11, 25 and 29 Squadrons may also have had probes fitted.

You'll need to take a little care with the joint between front and centre fuselage, especially in the upper surface adjacent to the cockpit and installing the main undercarriage retraction jacks and side stays needs patience, three hands and a generously-sized swear box.

In service Javelins appear to have stayed quite clean and without significant paint finish deterioration.  Most grot accretion was along the belly between the ventral tanks and images show little evidence of chipped or scarred paint, even around frequently-remived panels or the plug-in points for the access ladder.

• Like 2

One thing to remember, if you build XH903. 

It was an FAW9, not an FAW9R - and never equiped with a refuelling probe.

Don't know why Airfix mislead modellers otherwise in their instructions.

Really annoys me every time I see a model of XH903 with the probe.

Javelin-FAW9.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hello ilius,

looking forward with this build; it is always nice to see more Javelins.

One more thing about the the re-fueling "boom": it was only used on ferry flights, never on operational sorties. It created a huge penalty to the aircraft's performance. The pilot had to use re-heat while receiving fuel from the tanker and actually using quite a lot of it while doing so. That is why the further two drop tanks were added.

Cheers,

Antti

On 4/4/2021 at 5:21 PM, stever219 said:

As far as I can remember 23, 33, 60 and 64 Squadrons flew Javelins equipped with AAR probes, some jets on 11, 25 and 29 Squadrons may also have had probes fitted.

stever219 thank you! I don't know the English so good for fluently reading books and other texts. And Your information makes easy my selection of the Javelins variant

On 4/4/2021 at 5:56 PM, Dr. Quack said:

A Gloster Door Wedge, and in my scale.......can I watch if I promise to be good?

Q

😆😆😆 Dr. Quack yes of course! Welcome to hall 

On 4/5/2021 at 4:07 PM, Antti_K said:

Hello ilius,

One more thing about the the re-fueling "boom": it was only used on ferry flights, never on operational sorties. It created a huge penalty to the aircraft's performance. The pilot had to use re-heat while receiving fuel from the tanker and actually using quite a lot of it while doing so. That is why the further two drop tanks were added.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks for Your attention and information, Antti_K

Last days I looked a lot of pictures and I got a couple books. I think, I can make a plane with a couple rockets, drop tanks and refuelling system during for some exercises. (I like the Javelin with the refuelling probe  )

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, I began not as usual 
At first, I cut off the upper parts  of the main wheel bays and cleaned walls. And I used Eduard's kit for wheel bays. It look better
I painted the wheel bays in Al and added some pipelines and wire lines.
On landing gear I added hidraulic tubes

IMG_20210320_151014

IMG_20210323_211231 IMG_20210323_211231

IMG_20210407_225141

The intake pipes and jet pipes has many press marks. I had to clearing them off 
I made in the end of the jet pipes the stripe covers from an aluminium glue tape and the small intakes from foil

IMG_20210326_182727

IMG_20210407_22525

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Great start Ilius - those Eduard main wheel bays look so much better than the kit ones.

Following this thread with interest, don't have this one in my stash but soon will....