28mm Dorchester ACV 3-D Printed Model by 3D Printing Valley

John

Interesting build John,

I know Milicast do one in 1/76 with optional awning but it is not something you see modelled very often - I guess unarmed command vehicles are not that popular but I am doing Monty's first " Caravan" over in the Africa GB which he seems to have preferred to the rather better armoured Dorchester. The amusing thing is that whilst Monty preferred an unarmoured but presumably more comfortable captured Italian command body transplanted on to a Leyland Retriever chassis, and later added another one transferred on to a Mack chassis, Rommel used two captured British Dorchesters in preference to the German equivalent, assuming there was one - can't actually think what they had that was similar offhand!

Looks even more straightforward than some of my resin builds, unless of course you decide to paint it in the Caunter scheme, but at least it is a far easier shape for that than an A9 or A10 Cruiser! I have Mike Starmer's book on Caunter which includes approximate paint mixes so if that would be of any help send me a PM.

Good luck,

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

On 4/3/2021 at 10:16 PM, PeterB said:

Interesting build John,

I know Milicast do one in 1/76 with optional awning but it is not something you see modelled very often - I guess unarmed command vehicles are not that popular but I am doing Monty's first " Caravan" over in the Africa GB which he seems to have preferred to the rather better armoured Dorchester. The amusing thing is that whilst Monty preferred an unarmoured but presumably more comfortable captured Italian command body transplanted on to a Leyland Retriever chassis, and later added another one transferred on to a Mack chassis, Rommel used two captured British Dorchesters in preference to the German equivalent, assuming there was one - can't actually think what they had that was similar offhand!

Looks even more straightforward than some of my resin builds, unless of course you decide to paint it in the Caunter scheme, but at least it is a far easier shape for that than an A9 or A10 Cruiser! I have Mike Starmer's book on Caunter which includes approximate paint mixes so if that would be of any help send me a PM.

Good luck,

Pete

Thanks.

I'm a great fan of Mr Starmer's work and I have all of his books. I'm planning to finish this in the Caunter scheme,

The primer coat showed up a flaw in the printing/casting in the shape of a diagonal scar on the near side rear. I superglued in a bit of Microrod and sanded it flush:

Dor6

The model then got 2 coats of Sovereign Hobbies Portland Stone. This is it after the first coat, it's still wet in the photo:

Dor7

John

• Like 2