Airfix 1/72 CA-13 Boomerang

srkirad

• 2 weeks later...

Main work of shaping and sanding is done now - all main parts are glued together, just exhaust is to be fitted prior to painting, and clear parts of course.

As I wrote in Bf 109 GB topic - my AB compressor is under repair work at the moment, so in few days I will be able to start with primering of this little "piggy" :)

Instrument panel and headrest were also made from styrene sheet and now are fitted on their positions...

Having on mind that this kit mould is from the 60's, I'm pretty satisfied with how it went so far, while cockpit scratchbuild turned out much better than I expected in the beginning.

boomerang-008.jpg

boomerang-009.jpg

boomerang-010.jpg

boomerang-011.jpg

boomerang-012.jpg

boomerang-013.jpg

boomerang-014.jpg

boomerang-015.jpg

boomerang-016.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 6

Thanks mates!

Compressor is fixed, and finally some paintjob to do 😌

Today I've sprayed a coat of Mr. Surfacer 1200 as a primer, and also did preshading (upper surfaces matt black, lower RLM66) and painted wheel bay in Green Chromate...

If I maintain this mojo level, I could maybe even paint whole camouflage during weekend, which leaves me a plenty of time to do the gloss coat, decals, wash and final varnish coat.

What bothers me most are antenna wires which are a bit complex on Boomerang... but hey... one step at a time... :)

boomerang-017.jpg

boomerang-018.jpg

boomerang-019.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

Thanks @Derek_B, I'm trying to do my best :)

Today I've painted tip of the tail into dark blue (roundel blue approx.), and gave some additional preshading colours on some panels on upper surfaces - this is the first time I'm experimenting with a kind of color modulation as a preshading, so we'll see what effect this will cause after applying of camouflage colors...

Also, lower surfaces are painted into light blue - I've mixed 3 shades of blue and some white to lighten it up.... It's probably not totally correct shade of RAAF Sky Blue, but it looks satisfying to my eye - I did my best to match the color as close as possible...

boomerang-020.jpg

boomerang-021.jpg

boomerang-022.jpg

boomerang-023.jpg

Tomorrow I hope I will be able to apply camo colors...

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

As promised yesterday - camouflage is (almost) done!

Orange and red preshading really did its magic - on panels are visible different shades underneath camo colors, and whole camo looks unevenly spread and avoids monotony.

Also, orange and red areas emphasized colorfulness of brown camo fields.

Foliage green is Gunze H302 (FS34092), while Earth Brown is mix of Gunze H72 (Dark Earth) 90% and H47 (Red Brown) 10%

What remains to be done is tail area that goes to white color - I will apply Ammo scratch fluid before spraying white color in order to produce some small scratches around rudder and rivets.

Plan is to do that step tomorrow :)

boomerang-024.jpg

boomerang-025.jpg

boomerang-026.jpg

boomerang-027.jpg

boomerang-028.jpg

boomerang-029.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 5

Thanks @stevehnz you really made me laugh with that "psychedelic tartan" :D and actually you're so right with that term.. it really reminded of that :)

Today I've completed camouflage - tail was painted in white color, but with underlayer of Ammo Scratch Fluid.

I wanted exactly this effect - to have subtle chips on panel lines and rudder edges, with some more on underneath the tail.

Painting was done with Gunze White, so I had to work area by area (one side of tail and then chipping, etc...) because Gunze colors dry really quickly and they become resistant to scratching with this technique (with hairspray it's even more difficult to remove white color).

Overall I'm satisfied with the result, I'll leave it now for 2 days to give colors some time to cure before applying gloss coat before decals... Hopefully I might finish this one before deadline...

boomerang-030.jpg

boomerang-031.jpg

boomerang-032.jpg

boomerang-033.jpg

boomerang-034.jpg

boomerang-035.jpg

boomerang-036.jpg

boomerang-037.jpg

boomerang-038.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 3

Decals are set, and sprayed over with protective gloss coat, although I can see some silvering visible on wings.

Unfortunately, this couldn't be better done - decals are definitely 50+ years old, and their adhesive is almost non-existent, so work with them was pretty painful...

I gave them heavy treatment with softener and setter and this is best I could achieve.

I will try not to overmatt them with final coat of varnish, and hopefully wash will mask silvering a bit before final varnish coat.

Probably next photos will be of finished model, so take a bit of patience for them :)

boomerang-039.jpg

boomerang-040.jpg

boomerang-041.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

Hi,
When You taking pictures of the model, You have strengthened color saturation?
Your Boom looks quite unnaturally, such "vivid" colors are exaggerated. In my opinion, it would be appropriate to try to desaturate colors, use more gray, dirty shades than such strong colors.

spacer.png

But this may only a matter of processing and preparing this photo. How does your model look really?

Rgds, KF

Edited by KayFranz
(de)saturate... - my stupid mistake
  • Like 2

I've set my Canon camera for a bit more vivid colors, because my other hobby is photography, and I like to have a bit more colorful photos.

As I take photos of models with assistance of flash, camera's white balance is set for "final" photos with white background, and due to that these "in progress" photos are a bit more vivid than reality.

Earth Brown on Boomerang is a bit duller and lighter in vivo.

You'll see more realistic colors on final photos - during next week I hope :)

Thanks for suggestion and regards,

S.

• Like 2

Not being sure we would get an GB extension I pressed on finishing work, so today marks the end of my saga of Boomerang!

I did some dot filtering with artistic oils, and subtle wash just on engraved main panels, weathering was done with MIG pigments, while antenna wires are made of fishing nylon wire (0.07mm)

Navigation lights were made from Kristal Klear droplets over Chrome Silver dots, and then clear colors over Kristal Klear...

I'm pretty sattisfied how this one turned out - I was a bit sceptical because of kit's age (1965 mould), but I'm glad that whole cockpit interior really IS visible, so a bit of attention there paid off :) 

Thanks for the great GB, it made me finish this oldy, and give it another life :)

Cheers,

S.

boomerang-042.jpg

boomerang-043.jpg

boomerang-044.jpg

boomerang-045.jpg

boomerang-046.jpg

boomerang-047.jpg

boomerang-048.jpg

boomerang-049.jpg

boomerang-050.jpg

boomerang-051.jpg

boomerang-052.jpg

boomerang-053.jpg

boomerang-054.jpg

boomerang-055.jpg

boomerang-056.jpg

boomerang-057.jpg

boomerang-058.jpg

boomerang-059.jpg

boomerang-060.jpg

boomerang-061.jpg

boomerang-062.jpg

boomerang-063.jpg

boomerang-064.jpg

boomerang-065.jpg

boomerang-066.jpg

• Like 3

A beautiful job on that old kit, I made my first one when it was only a couple of years old. Airfix really did do some interesting stuff back then. You have made it look like a superbly designed modern kit when the superb bit is in the craftmanship on display. Great going. :thumbsup:

Steve.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...