Airfix 1/72 CA-13 Boomerang

srkirad

Good evening mates,

I've almost forgot on this GB - it came on the schedule pretty fast!

I will join you with one true oldy, and so far only one that is not Harvard/Texan itself :)

boomerang-001.jpg

I've done quite a few these old Airfix kits so far, so I'm kind of prepared what to expect in terms of assembling, positive panel lines, lack of details in cockpit (WHAT cockpit!? :D), while decals will need some time fixed on the window in order to remove that yellow layer on them.

I will probably make the boxart example - I really like those Aussies with white tails :)

Cheers and have a nice evening,

S.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, srkirad said:

I will join you with one true oldy, and so far only one that is not Harvard/Texan itself :)

Am I correct in thinking you mean to enter a Wirraway, not a Boomerang?  

12 hours ago, John Masters said:

Am I correct in thinking you mean to enter a Wirraway, not a Boomerang?  

This one is Boomerang.

In topic about predecessors of Harvard/Texan there is a paragraph that states:

"So I'd like to propose a STGB dedicated to the Texan and its predecessors/derivatives such as the Harvard, Yale, Wirraway, the P-64 and yes Aussies, the Boomerang (as the wings were largely based upon the Wirraway which itself was based upon the Texan/Harvard)..."

Cheers,

S.

• Like 1

Glad to see the Boomerang in the GB, hopefully we'll get to see a Wirraway too.

Good luck with your build.

• Thanks 1

Keen to see this come together, I think I must have built this only a few years after it was released. With a boxing bagging of that age, you should get a good kit, the last one I bought was not too flash, nevertheless, it'll build some time. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Yup, release year for this "bag" package is either 1965 or 1967, so some 10-12 years before I was born :D

I tackled flash on fuselage halves a bit, was busy with some other kits, but couldn't resist to give it a go, at least these small steps :)

As canopy is small and relatively thick, cockpit won't be too much of a sight, but I will probably upgrade "seat" a bit... and maybe I'll make instrument panel, according to Special Hobby kit's assembling manual.

Decals are fixed onto the window, sunny weather finally arrives these days, so there will be plenty of it to remove yellowness on decals...

I'll post some photos when I do something from above mentioned around cockpit area...

Cheers, and thanks for comments - I'm glad this kit brought back old memories to some of you :) 

S.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't plan to do much of upgrade work around cockpit area, but... devil is in details :D

Few days of ~1hr of work and here we are... ready for primer and painting of cockpit area...

boomerang-002.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

Looking forward to seeing this one progress. I built several when I was a small kid (50 years ago) and I still have one in my stash now that I'm a big kid. SrkiRad, you have some nice looking models on your blog!

• Thanks 1

@John Masters sorry for delay, I was quite busy during last week, so didn't have time to photograph kits. I did manage though to assemble cockpit with fuselage halves - it looks a bit rough at the moment, as fuselage halves are a bit different sizes, so upper part requires some putty.

Well, I added some sprue goo on joins of fuselage halves, and some styrene sheets on nose area.

I'll leave it for few days to cure, and then sanding, sanding and more sanding... 

Here is the current state of Boomerang...

boomerang-003.jpg

boomerang-004.jpg

boomerang-005.jpg

boomerang-006.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Some small progress - lower part of wings are glued to the fuselage, upper halved are waiting for sanding away of styrene reinforcement.

Nose area of fuselage has been sanded, but more work will be done here when cowling gets to its place.

Cowling and engine were painted with Stainless Steel and Dark Iron metalizers.

Hopefully not too long until primer stage - some sanding work will be needed around joins of fuselage and cowling...

boomerang-007.jpg

Cheers,

S.

• Like 4

Making solid progress there S! What are your plans for the rivets - do you plan to sand them off, since Boomerangs were flush-riveted?

• Thanks 1