RFI: Tamiya P-38G 1/48 Best Kit in World

Wow!  Great looking scale model Bob and yes, you've just about sold me getting one of these! 😀 The only P-38 I have in the stash is the ancient Monogram 1/48, and I've heard enough internet horror stories about that one to scare me off it for good.    You've done a fantastic job on this one!  :clap2:

26 minutes ago, Gary Brantley said:

Wow!  Great looking scale model Bob and yes, you've just about sold me getting one of these! 😀 The only P-38 I have in the stash is the ancient Monogram 1/48, and I've heard enough internet horror stories about that one to scare me off it for good.    You've done a fantastic job on this one!  :clap2:

Hi Gary...  i built that old Monogram kit in the 1970s and did the kit version of the all black nightfighter with the second crewman in the bubble canopy...  that was when i was about 12years old.  I was generally avoiding p38s the next 44years!  I did a 1/72 hasegawa in the late 1980s though and it was alot of hard work.

I heard so much good talk about this new Tamiya kit and enjoyed building it so much I am planning a second, maybe an F this time.

I am not getting kits for free, just letting you guys know this kit is a real winner and you all will love building it!

• Thanks 1

Beautiful! Everything I have read and all of the build articles I have seen echo what you have said. Appears to be better than their P-47's and they were pretty darn good in their own right. You should be proud of this one! 👌

Mike

17 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Beautiful! Everything I have read and all of the build articles I have seen echo what you have said. Appears to be better than their P-47's and they were pretty darn good in their own right. You should be proud of this one! 👌

Mike

Hi Mike...  I have built the Tamiys Razorback and it is classic shake and bake...  really nice and enjoyable build that one...  but honestly, comparitively, it is really outclassed by how much better this P38 is.  You will be shocked by how much better this is...

Very impressed! This is lovely. I must say it's a relaxation when you get a kit that goes together so well. My 1st Tamiya kit I built gave me a similar experience! The Mosquito I did used just a touch of filler but I felt the dry fit was so good I fully painted the wings off and it went together like a dream. 

Sometimes is what we need to get a modelling mojo back rather than worrying too much. Thanks for showing your brilliant model and it's a nice and fitting back story too! 

Cheers

Andy

You're right, Tokyo Raider . . . This kit is cetainly one of the best kits I've built, and it just falls together. I'm just about to start decalling mine, and if it turns out half as good as yours I shall be very pleased. thanks for sharing your photos.  :worthy::cheers:

Lovely jubbley mate,..... superb modelling and a wonderful kit. I bought one to convert to an Aussie PR aircraft but I`ll be building it as a USAAF P-38,..... too good to cut up and modify!

Cheers

Tony

Yep..........really looking forward to starting one of these. I have a USAAF P-38H and Armee de l'Air F-5A on my 'to do' list. Having previously wrestled with the Hasegawa and Hobbyboss kits, I am very encouraged with the reviews I have read from both 'professionals' and, perhaps more importantly, individual modellers who are less likely to be under pressure to deliver a slightly biased verdict. This is not to 'knock' bona fide reviewers but if you have personally paid for a kit, one has every right to truly speak their mind. 

Well Done, Sir ! 

1 hour ago, Beazer said:

I just cant wait until they release the J Version, need the Droop Snoot!

Hi Beazer...  I hope they do the other versions.  I would build all of them...  

Thanks alot guys for all the complements!  I found my way back into modelling a few years ago and recently got back into 1/48 scale after 1/72 became too hard at my age.

I am far from a pro modeller!  I learn alot from videos and help from other modellers.  Then a kit like this makes me look like a pro!

I am getting better every model i build, and its a really fun journey.  Sometimes i get upset when i goof up something, like decals, but a wise modeller friend of mine says, just finish it and move on to the next kit, you always learn as you go...