"THE ROAD TO BERLIN" T-34 85 1/35 EASTERN EXPRESS

Great! :yes: Interesting build Francis.  Especially, I love weathering result. But in my opinion there are too many streaks of rust. 

Edited by IGKent
  • Thanks 1

On 12/04/2021 at 18:50, Badder said:

Hi Francis, me old mucker!

Sorry I didn't comment earlier, but I was glad to see you were still about and have your mojo back! I have been busy messing about with my scratch-bulding building trying to get the damned thing finished lol, but have a few moments to comment now.

Were you carted away by aliens, to be replaced by an even more skillful clone of yourself? Your weathering was always excellent, and always improving, but you've improved even more lol Great work.

I am now going to do that 'Badder thing' and nit-pick, purely cos I'd want you to do the same to me.............. Your skills are top notch, so get rid of that kit canvas roll and make your own! It's not bad, but it could be a lot better. That's it. I can't find anything else to 'nit-pick' about lol

Loving your new autographed photos too.

TC

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder,

Many thanks for your follow, like and most kind comments (and "Badder thing..lol), i'm glad you like it.

I'll try to make tarps on my own, I don't promise anything ... lol (let's see how they fit me), on the other hand, I'm not so sure that my skills are improving ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

On 20/04/2021 at 13:32, IGKent said:

Great! :yes: Interesting build Francis.  Especially, I love weathering result. But in my opinion there are too many streaks of rust. 

HI Igor, 

Many thanks for your kind words, There may be more "dirt" than it should ... I couldn't tell you, my idea was to get a vehicle with a lot of use and that was in constant advance (hence the name of the topic ... lol), anyway I have other Soviet vehicles to post, and I think its weathering is somewhat lighter, although I do not renounce a good "dirty" ... lol.
I don't know if you also build 1/35 models, but I imagine that on a scale like 1/100, the difference in weathering will be substantial, more evident on a larger scale ... or not? ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

On 23/04/2021 at 10:33, Federciccio said:

Great work, congrats to you! The wearing and wheathering are performed very well and gave complexity to a simple shape of this tank.

Hi Federciccio,

Many thanks for your kind words, i'm glad you like it.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Сергей Никитин said:

Hi!
Great work on this old kit!
But I have a small fly in the ointment.
If it's important, of course.
Your model, although assembled at a very good level, does not correspond to the prototype.

Hi Сергей Никитин,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad yuo like it.

I imagine what you mean is that the original vehicle in the photo looks newer and cleaner, or does it not?
Undoubtedly these photos would have come in handy for me at the time of doing it, although sometimes it is almost impossible to find what we are really looking for.
Anyway, my main objective when making a kit (apart from having fun, of course ... lol), is to get a model with personality, I don't worry too much if it fits exactly to a very specific vehicle. Without a doubt if in addition to getting an attractive model, it is historically adjusted, well, better than better, but for me it is something very secondary ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Сергей Никитин,

Many thanks for your kind comments, i'm glad yuo like it.

I imagine what you mean is that the original vehicle in the photo looks newer and cleaner, or does it not?
Undoubtedly these photos would have come in handy for me at the time of doing it, although sometimes it is almost impossible to find what we are really looking for.
Anyway, my main objective when making a kit (apart from having fun, of course ... lol), is to get a model with personality, I don't worry too much if it fits exactly to a very specific vehicle. Without a doubt if in addition to getting an attractive model, it is historically adjusted, well, better than better, but for me it is something very secondary ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

I rather meant a turret that did not match the prototype. But all this is not important. The most important thing is that the model is good, you can feel the soul in it and I am really pleased to look at it)

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Сергей Никитин said:

I rather meant a turret that did not match the prototype. But all this is not important. The most important thing is that the model is good, you can feel the soul in it and I am really pleased to look at it)

Hi Сергей Никитин,

Well seen, with the quality of the kit, I am not surprised by such inaccuracy, I realized, in an intuitive way, more than supported by proofs (such as the photos you provide), that it looked like a mixture of T34s, since I could not determine a model of concrete production.
One of the details that made me doubt, was that it incorporated wiring into the mold, for 2 headlights, if I'm not mistaken, for post-war models? ... well I've always seen T34s with a single headlight ...
I thought I had to delete it later, but in the end I forgot, and since it was already finished ... it will be again ... lol
Thank you for your kind comments.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Сергей Никитин,

Well seen, with the quality of the kit, I am not surprised by such inaccuracy, I realized, in an intuitive way, more than supported by proofs (such as the photos you provide), that it looked like a mixture of T34s, since I could not determine a model of concrete production.
One of the details that made me doubt, was that it incorporated wiring into the mold, for 2 headlights, if I'm not mistaken, for post-war models? ... well I've always seen T34s with a single headlight ...
I thought I had to delete it later, but in the end I forgot, and since it was already finished ... it will be again ... lol
Thank you for your kind comments.
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

Maquette made a post-war version of the T-34, which ended up in the EE kit that you builded
Among Russian modelers, the name of this kit sounds like "a universal blank for assembling T-34"
Although the tower 112 of the factory for T-34-76 from MSD (ex-Maquette) is very pleasant (although assembling it and putting it in a really good look is an extremely non-trivial task)
And in general, in Russia, this kit is now the cheapest. 
Many versions of the T-34, with the help of modifications, are really easier to buy and build from MSD

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Сергей Никитин said:

Maquette made a post-war version of the T-34, which ended up in the EE kit that you builded
Among Russian modelers, the name of this kit sounds like "a universal blank for assembling T-34"
Although the tower 112 of the factory for T-34-76 from MSD (ex-Maquette) is very pleasant (although assembling it and putting it in a really good look is an extremely non-trivial task)
And in general, in Russia, this kit is now the cheapest. 
Many versions of the T-34, with the help of modifications, are really easier to buy and build from MSD

Hi Сергей Никитин,

then everything is explained, and that the boxart of the box, shows the tank in what seems the end of the 2nd WW in some German city ...
Anyway, this was a test, because they brought it to me directly in person from Ukraine, and the truth is, one day I have to make another, but with more mold quality, because all the T34s that I have published and / or built to do, are they oldies, the Zvezda T34-76 and the T34 40/41? Tamiya ...
Cheer and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 1

If you want to build a t-34/40 or t-34/41, it is better not to save money and take a Dragon actually IMHO.
Of course, you can take the MSD, but the quality of the form will be the same as on this T-34 that you built. And, as I said, this is a"universal blank". For a normal match to the prototype, you will have to work a lot.
As on the Dragon, in fact, although the quality of the castings is much much better.
I recently posted 2 works. One of them is just made with the use of parts from MSD, old Zvezda and Dragon. And the second is pure Dragon with a couple of small " additions"

With best wishes Sergei.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Сергей Никитин said:

And Yes. If you suddenly need photos of the T-34 - PM to me. Well, or here is a small link for you)
Everything is in Russian, but Google should handle the translation)

https://riaslov.livejournal.com

Hi Сергей Никитин,

As you say, a Dragon kit can surely be one of the best options, although recently Zvezda is releasing current kits of T34s in various versions, from the tank to TDs based on it.
They seem to have quite a lot of quality and an adjusted price, without a doubt Zvezda is a brand that I like (the one today of course ... lol), although I already have two finished T34s, one from Tamiya to make and a Su-100 (this if it is from Dragon although reboxed by Cyber-Hobby, and also published in the forum), so next to the monstrous stash that I have pending to undertake ... they will have to wait a "bit" ... lol.
Very kind for indicating me where to document myself and for suggesting that I consult you, I will keep it in mind, because I have many Russian / Soviet vehicles to make, and others already finished, waiting to take photos that do them some justice ... although now I am on the opposite side of the canyon, with the Germans ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 09/08/2023 at 14:47, senux said:

great looking monster Francis! 
I am not that good on modelling as you. I would not dare building EE! You mastered it very well! Greetings and applause 👏👏

Hi senux,

Many thanks for your follow, like and kind words, much appreciated, i'm glad you like it.

Very kind of you, that I'm a better modeler than you, although I don't think so...lol, I was lucky and I was able to get something nice out of the pile of plastic I had... Really about EE, it was a test, I didn't know the brand, but seeing what it brought, and for that price, I said, why not? a T72 from MENG (also cheaper, not so much of course...) Once I decided to assemble it, I thought, this is better than the T72, which has a lot of details and parts, and I will have a rest and peace of mind, because it seemed simple... nothing further, as soon as I started, the problems did, the instructions , photocopies almost blurred, without numbering, and the setting....OMG, the worst I've ever seen, together with some "modern" Italeri model....despite everything, you can finish it, and it helped me to learn a lot...the first thing...EE never again...lol

Cheers

Francis.👍

2 minutes ago, FrancisGL said:

EE never again...lol

as said you did it great! 
as to myself , I told long ago: if I build anything I buy the newest kit available and affordable. Because I build just 4-5 kits a year, only. And I want to enjoy the building and weathering. Not filling and sanding, not rescribing the lines, not making surgery to get the distinctive shape of the prototype etc.  That's my way. 

A perfect example (of my way) is my latest WIP on Pz 38(t) from Tamiya. It's a joy, how the parts fits. This way I like modelling. But not "to get something nice out of the pile of plastic I had..."  🙂  Thus you deserve  a monument (at least in 1:35) 😄

• Haha 1

On 11/08/2023 at 12:39, senux said:

as said you did it great! 
as to myself , I told long ago: if I build anything I buy the newest kit available and affordable. Because I build just 4-5 kits a year, only. And I want to enjoy the building and weathering. Not filling and sanding, not rescribing the lines, not making surgery to get the distinctive shape of the prototype etc.  That's my way. 

A perfect example (of my way) is my latest WIP on Pz 38(t) from Tamiya. It's a joy, how the parts fits. This way I like modelling. But not "to get something nice out of the pile of plastic I had..."  🙂  Thus you deserve  a monument (at least in 1:35) 😄

Hi senux,

I reiterate my appreciation, very kind of you. I have to say your "way", it's definitely mine, I admire and envy modelers who make incredible scratches, use PE sets for masochists (Voyager, for example), rivet every last screw, etc... but really to me It's not fun, nor do I think I have enough skill, where I put the energies is the last process, weathering. I think that all the magnificent previous work and extras (very expensive) added, is subject to it, if it is not mastered, with luck it will be a very precise and super-detailed model, but mediocre in sight, and with little personality. Like you, I take a lot of time with the models, so between 4 or 5 will be the ones I do a year too.

With the T34 EE, it was more than anything else, because of "stubbornness", I didn't want to have to throw it away, it's a tank that I really like, and as a guinea pig, it was perfect. Although I have a stash too big for my liking, the kits that exist are already "recognized" brands, with their pros and cons, at this point, I think buying very cheap kits, knowing that they are a lot of plastic, and that several sets would have to be added to improve it, costing more than the kit in the end, especially when there are much better ones, for something else, it is a mistake, unless it is for learning.

When I have a longer time, I'll go through the T38 thread, which is also a very cool tank (I have the version with Dragon interior in my stash...it scares me...lol). I hope it inspires me.😁

Cheers

Francis👍

• Thanks 1