British Airways Airbus A380-800, Revell 1:144

I stepped away from my classic airliners for a bit to build this Airbus A380.

I took some of the models that I made when I was younger from my parents' house, and my mother asked me if I could make a model to replace them.  Since it's her birthday coming up, I thought it would be a nice present.

This is the standard Revell kit, with no extras.

I did cut out out the body dear doors to make a slot so I could position the doors closed around the gear struts, but I didn't modify the gears to pitch them down like I did with my Lufthansa A380 - I'm not sure if my parents will hang it or leave it on its wheels, so I left the landing gear untouched.

The decals went on well, but as some of you may have seen, the registration of the silver ink was off, which meant that the frames of the windows aren't aligned with the windows.  I sent an email to Revell, who sent an auto-reply that there are long delays because of coronavirus and I should be patient and shouldn't send a follow-up email.

I still haven't received a response, so I decided to apply the decals as they were - you can't really tell unless you're up close.  I know it's something my dad will point out though...

Standard paints:  Halford's appliance gloss white, Halford's racking grey, and Halford's Fiat capri blue.  These were the same paints that I used on the A319.

Humbrol gloss varnish on top, and polished with Auto Glym super resin varnish.

One thing I noticed, the vertical stabilizer is slightly warped over to one side - the two trailing edges also didn't exactly align, which I have not had a problem with before.  But I'm not sure I want to try correcting it...

IMG_3801

IMG_3802

IMG_3803

IMG_3804

IMG_3805

IMG_3806

IMG_3807

IMG_3808

IMG_3800

IMG_3799

• Like 31
  • Thanks 2

Excellent work Neil, thanks for sharing.

I think if I were you I'd leave the fin alone. I really only noticed it because you pointed it out. Straightening something after assembly (never mind finishing) isn't easy - I once binned a fully painted and decalled DC-8 when an attempt to straighten the wings went badly wrong. Definitely not good for the modelling mojo!

Dave G

• Like 1

fantastic work.. !

I had warped plastic on my Revell A350- had to bend it into shape by gently heating it to soften the resin. (pics in the thread below)

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086456-revell-1144-a350-900-lufthansa-new-livery/&tab=comments#comment-3949254

• Like 1

Superb work there Neil.

I am sure your parents will like this A380.Display space could be a problem...😉

I did the same a few years ago for my moms birthday,although it was a 1/72 Heller DC-6B in Balair colors,as this aircraft was her first flight.

• Like 1

Hi Neil,

Beautiful finish on this beast! Do you decant the Halfords colours into an airbrush or spray straight from the can? The finish looks lovely and smooth. Nice sharp masking too.

I think it's a cunning move to build a model for someone you see often that way they get to store it but you can still see it whenever you want! Must try that when I build an A380 or another 747!

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 2

Nice build as usual, Neil! Really like the BA livery on the A380. And you built it for your parents?!?!?!? That automatically gets a "WOW!!!" My mom used to complain of sorts of all the models in my room whilst growing up. My room was only about 8 feet by 10 feet, in the middle of the house, with shelves on one wall that was full of model airplanes. I think the most I had at one time was around 50...all built and displayed. I suppose the complaining was because they were all dust magnets. Really glad you still have your parents to share such a great work with. Really like the finish, too. I've only recently discovered the advantages of using the Tamiya finishing polish. Truly hides some paint unevenness and makes the model shine beautifully. Very good work here. Thanks for sharing! 😉

Paul

Edited by Challenger350Pilot
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Skodadriver said:

Excellent work Neil, thanks for sharing.

I think if I were you I'd leave the fin alone. I really only noticed it because you pointed it out. Straightening something after assembly (never mind finishing) isn't easy - I once binned a fully painted and decalled DC-8 when an attempt to straighten the wings went badly wrong. Definitely not good for the modelling mojo!

Dave G

Yer I'm not going to touch it - the two halved didn't look warped when I looked at them, but now I can see it, I can't un-see it!

12 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Neil,

Beautiful finish on this beast! Do you decant the Halfords colours into an airbrush or spray straight from the can? The finish looks lovely and smooth. Nice sharp masking too.

I think it's a cunning move to build a model for someone you see often that way they get to store it but you can still see it whenever you want! Must try that when I build an A380 or another 747!

Cheers,

Ian

I use them straight from the can - it took a few coats trying to get an even finish outside in the wind.

I've never tried decanting them.

11 hours ago, Challenger350Pilot said:

Nice build as usual, Neil! Really like the BA livery on the A380. And you built it for your parents?!?!?!? That automatically gets a "WOW!!!" My mom used to complain of sorts of all the models in my room whilst growing up. My room was only about 8 feet by 10 feet, in the middle of the house, with shelves on one wall that was full of model airplanes. I think the most I had at one time was around 50...all built and displayed. I suppose the complaining was because they were all dust magnets. Really glad you still have your parents to share such a great work with. Really like the finish, too. I've only recently discovered the advantages of using the Tamiya finishing polish. Truly hides some paint unevenness and makes the model shine beautifully. Very good work here. Thanks for sharing! 😉

Paul

I don't know how they're so difficult to keep clean - mine are dust magnets too.

My 1:72 collection is in a display case, but my airliners are hanging up, and I'm constantly having to take them down to dust and remove cobwebs.