Harvard MkI, 20SFTS, Rhodesia, MDC Conversion with Monogram Texan

Hi Everyone,

hot of the heels of my last Harvard MkIII: https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235090386-rnzaf-harvard-mkiii-148-monogram-early-1970s/&tab=comments#comment-4026156

This is the MDC Harvard MkI conversion with the Monogram Texan internals and wings. I knew nothing about the conversion kit before I bought it and subsequently found out it need a lot of work! A fair amount of work has gone into the wings which need to be cut at the join and repositioned so that the trailing edge is a straight line all the way along.

The resin fuseIage is about 15" too long so I cut the nose down only for my dog to get hold of the resin cowl and give it a good chew! Fortunately putting it in hot water and plenty of filler resolved the issue. The fuselage sides however were terrible and plenty of hot water and filler was needed for these to match up!  It is however still too long at the rear which I couldn't resolve and the canopy is wrong for this type at the rear which means the canopy must be too short. I have used a pitot from a P-40 kit along with Eduard belts in the rear and a spare student pilot in the front. I've re-scribed the plastic parts of the kit.

Harvard MkI MkI Harvard

MkI Harvard

Harvard MkI Harvard MkI Harvard MkI Harvard MkI Harvard MkI Harvard MkI Harvard MkI MkI Harvard

Most of the markings were masked and sprayed with some decals from the spares box. Colourcoats paint used extensively.

Here is a photo of the real aircraft (at the back).

mki

Thanks folks

• Like 15

6 hours ago, Wez said:

Very nice indeed!  Great job there :thumbsup2:

I'm hoping somebody does one of these in the Texan/Harvard STGB.

Thanks for sharing.

Cheers Wez, would be good to see some more MkI's or BC-1s. I'd love to see a Belcher's Bits conversion if there's any out there.