Tornado ‘Pinky’ Paveways

Doccur

Hi all, 

a quick one for those more knowledgable than I. I am currently modelling this specific aircraft, Panavia Tornado GR.4 ‘Pinky’ ZG750. 

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZG750 "pinky" -

I am tempted to display it with Paveways on the fuselage rails. But what specific type are they? And are they available? Eduard do a few bit of various type and I’m unsure what to get. 

TIA 

Ash

On 4/2/2021 at 9:55 PM, Doccur said:

Hi all, 

a quick one for those more knowledgable than I. I am currently modelling this specific aircraft, Panavia Tornado GR.4 ‘Pinky’ ZG750. 

Panavia Tornado GR4 ZG750 "pinky" -

I am tempted to display it with Paveways on the fuselage rails. But what specific type are they? And are they available? Eduard do a few bit of various type and I’m unsure what to get. 

TIA 

Ash

They are officially called 1000lb Paveway II(UK) bombs. The ones fitted to this aircraft are practice bombs with blue  Mk 22 warheads not operational (green mk 20) Warheads.

Selwyn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2021 at 5:12 PM, Doccur said:

Thanks rich! 

Much appreciated. Paveway IIs!

It is in 1/48th scale, so these:

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/brassin/aircraft/1-48/paveway-ii-mk-13-18-1-48.html

Should do the trick! 

Ash

Actually, checking the photos in the link @RichardE posted above, these are Enhanced Paveway IIIs.  The main visible differences are dual GPS domes on the seeker section (basically like rounded, truncated cylinders on opposite sides), and external wiring conduit that runs along the side of the bomb body.  These were associated with the upgraded guidance, adding a GPS option to the standard laser guidance, so I assume all mods are present on the training rounds same as live munitions.

1/48 source, which includes a good photo of the real thing, here:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235068537-uk-enhanced-paveway-ii-mk1318-648518-148/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1