Ermolayev Er-2. Long range bomber.

Hello all, Just finished this one after leaving it alone for a month because of a catastrophic liquid glue spill! In truth it nearly went in the bin, but then I decided to use it as a weathering practise piece. The kit is short run injection but has quite a lot of detail which is typical of Amodel, its even got the fuel tanks. It took quite a bit of filler around the bomb bay area to bung up the cracks, but otherwise it wasn’t too stressful a build. (until I flung the glue pot at it anyway)

The aircraft depicted is from the 328 AR of the VVS circa 1945. Around 390 of this later version with diesel engines were built from 1944 onwards and became a major part of the bomber wing of the VVS.

I thought I’d do this colour option as it had splinter camo which I thought was a bit unusual for a WW2 Russian aircraft. It’s finished with Xtra colours and many different weathering attempts! Incidentally if you have one of these in your stash use decal restorer or replacement stars as the supplied ones won’t come off the backing without disintegrating.  

So, here it is.

spacer.png

spacer.png                 spacer.png                 spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking

Pete

• Like 65

Great result with a fascinating subject!  I'm going to try tipping a load of glue over my next build, maybe it will turn out as good as that.. ;) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Terrific save!  You can't tell that there was any mishap.  This is a beautifully finished model and a subject I'm not familiar with... so I guess it's time for me to do some reading!  Nice work!

• Thanks 1

Lovely job on an unusual subject, I was just reading about this on Wiki' while looking up the TB-7/PE-8 bomber. I didn't know one was available as an injected kit!

Davey.

• Like 1

Pete, despite all your tribulations, it has come out fantastic and beautifully finished. Well done in persevering! It's a superb rendition of an overlooked type. :thumbsup:

Miguel

• Thanks 1

Many thanks for the kind comments everyone.

11 hours ago, 28ZComeback said:

What is your method for weathering?  I am really amazed at the variation and subtly shading

Thank you, in this case the variation comes from trying things I don't normally do. Normally I paint, decal, panel wash and seal with a matt varnish for starters. I then add the weathering to the varnish after it has dried thoroughly. Tamiya weathering powders are my usual tool, I sponge or brush the dust where I want it and then drag it in the direction of air flow or gravity with a stiff brush or fingertip, then blend gently left and right with fingertip. Also on this one I tried a silver pen for chips, but that didn't work, it just looked like it had silver measles! So I dampened (very slightly) a cloth with white spirit and wiped it of again in the direction of airflow. This left a slight silver residue which added a worn effect to the paintwork so rather than remove it all I left some of it there. It also randomly removed some of the varnish showing the gloss paint underneath. It then got a dusting of light sand powder on leading edges treated as above. oil powder on the exhaust grills, and mud on the wheels and where it would have flicked up on the undersides. I then finished off by lightly polishing with a fine cloth, again in the direction of airflow.  But this is just how I generally do it, there are so many methods out there that people employ.🙂

11 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Unfortunately it is not available in 1/48.

Who knows, maybe one day.

2 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Lovely job on an unusual subject, I was just reading about this on Wiki' while looking up the TB-7/PE-8 bomber. I didn't know one was available as an injected kit!

Thanks. There are 2 boxings of the Er-2 by Amodel, not sure what the difference is though. The Pe-8 would be an interesting build, I would like to see that. Did you read on Wiki that the Pe-8, Il-4 and Er-2 units did a combined raid, however the Pe-8s didn't fare too well, I believe only one returned.

Building A-Model is always somawhat tantra-mystic-masochistique modelling experience. Let's appreciate it!

Morover, final effect is not only originall but very nice too

😉

Regards,

Michał.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

There are 2 boxings of the Er-2 by Amodel, not sure what the difference is though. 

The other boxing is Er-2ON where "ON" means "Special Purpose". It is actually not a bomber but a VIP transport with different fuselage containing a cabin for 9 passengers

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pin said:

The other boxing is Er-2ON where "ON" means "Special Purpose". It is actually not a bomber but a VIP transport with different fuselage containing a cabin for 9 passengers

The bomber version doesn't seem to be generally available at the moment, some expensive ones from the USA.

I fancy giving the passenger one a go though, only 3 made and never used apparently!

Info here;  

https://plane-encyclopedia.com/ww2/yermolayev-yer-2on/

Davey.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, GiampieroSilvestri said:

Beautiful Ermolayev Er-2!

Unfortunately it is not available in 1/48

I have to agree with this post, you have done a wonderful job.  This would make an amazing 1/48 scale kit.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for your kind and informative replies.

9 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Building A-Model is always somawhat tantra-mystic-masochistique modelling experience. Let's appreciate it!

Couldnt have put it better myself😄

Pete