1/72 Sopwith Snipe, Flt. Lt. West, 19 Squadron RAF, RAF Duxford, December 1924...

OK...to continue my "19 Squadron Static Build-a-Thon" I will use the TOKO/EE Sopwith Snipe to represent the RAF Snipe flown in Duxford, 1924.  I have built this kit before (in White Russian garb) and it is not too difficult, except for the double bay biplane rigging...which is just arduous in the way that dentistry is difficult.  This will be a pretty plane, silver with flashy markings.  I will use the also-very-nice Model Alliance 'Wings of Silver, Pt. 1" sheet.  

Here's the well-known boxtop...

51090591163_394715dc7c_c_d.jpg

...and the book cover and profile with sprue...

51090134557_b62ccb1367_c_d.jpg

51090591113_fcc93c1884_c_d.jpg

..and the decal sheet.  Very nice and I will be keeping these.  Lots of very neat post-war looking aircraft here!

51090050326_99015a1c18_c_d.jpg

So...I'll jump into this this weekend I think.  No rush!

--John

• Like 14

I have removed most of the parts from the sprue and given them all some primer.  I have also tinted what will be wood and given some of the metal pieces some aluminum.  Theinteriro has been given some CDL.  Of course, the outer skin will be shiny aluminum!

These TOKO kits build up well with few complications and I have built this kit already so I am not concerned.  Space on the bench, however, is limited.

The good news is that I am currently renovating a small house here and will move by the beginning of autumn this year--crossed fingers!  As such I have a designated 'work space' so I will have much more room to make a mess practice my hobby!  

51099146116_a6e642e820_c_d.jpg

51099687668_910ccdca98_c_d.jpg

The bench...3 of 5 kits currently in progress...

51099243567_8a6bea8b35_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

I think the Snipe may be my favourite Sopwith, so I’ll follow along.

Just a thought, I know a PC10 snipe would be cdl inside but would a silver snipe be brick red? 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

That IP looks great, good idea.  

Thanks Chris.  There really wasn't anything there.  I gave it an extra dial since it was 1924 and maybe they had some extra gizmos.

I almost got into hot water with the fuselage...pun intended!

51106159220_97513c982f_c_d.jpg

But some CA on the tail and regular glue welding the front bit, a clamp...it'll be good tomorrow.

51106159330_fd204e600a_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

3 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Chris.  There really wasn't anything there.  I gave it an extra dial since it was 1924 and maybe they had some extra gizmos.

Good logic, I think you're right to have done that.  Shame about the warpage but easily overcome.   I dug mine out the other day and had a looknot sure why I didn't get back yet after tge house move.  I found it packed alongside Roden's lovely Camel 2F1  which I was very happy with in my display until I was showing my then 18 month old son and he just bashed his fist down on it and it was a mess of broken struts and cables , gutted was an understatement but I should not have showed it too him at such a young age,  my own fault!!!

Great work so far John.

Chris

I will do some work on this kit tonight, but for the moment I have just given the wooden bits some Clear Yellow varnish.  It sets up a little on the satin side which is excellent for this scale, i.e. not too shiny!

51108790887_2c794aa312_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 8

I have neglected this kit for a week or so...but I a back at it!

In retrospect, the warped fuselage caused me no end of trouble.  I should have warmed it up in some hot water and straightened it out.  Ultimately it behaved, but only after a lot of blue language, clamps and glue.  I was able to get the engine mounted, the cowling on an the top deck with the guns attached.  Any white stuff you see is PPP filling in the very small cracks.  It's really quite smooth.

51121283745_ba5727d10e_c_d.jpg

The underside required some fettling...

51119918792_1aae21078f_c_d.jpg

I have drilled all the rigging holes and attached the stabilizer.  I'll paint the rudder instead of using a decal.  Much better and, in the end, easier.

51120399688_ccdf445a63_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

Great progress John, good to see this together and close to paint.  It does look great.  I managed to locate all the parts to mine and have I in a corner of the bench now so maybe in the near future I might crack on with it.  Thanks for the inspiration. 

Chris

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

maybe in the near future I might crack on with it.  Thanks for the inspiration. 

Thank you and only to happy to inspire.  And just when I thought it was safe...I see the Unarmed GB has begun.  I should wrap up some builds before starting something new.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Great progress John looks good in the Alluminium.

Like it fella,  great work. 

Thanks Chris.

10 hours ago, RichieW said:

It's going to be a cracker, I love the silver wings inter War biplane.

Thanks Ritchie.  I love them too!

• Like 1