V2

modelmaker

A-ha! I guess this counts as 'aircraft!?  I hope so. I'm presently building the Revell V2 in 1/72 scale, seems like a lovely model too. I'm hoping to paint it in the black and white check pattern (the only V2 images I'm familiar with, apart from models, is footage of various versions of this scheme). It is quite fiendish to mask and paint, for me at least, and it is surprisingly hard to find more than one view of it, namely the one in the instructions, and I'm beginning to wonder if the pattern is what I would call 'quartered', which I'd assumed, or 'halved' (white on one half, black on the other), if you see what I mean?  Hard to be sure on film too. Any thoughts?  Very kind, all advice welcome!

Edited by modelmaker
Forgot something
  • Like 1

There's also footage in Episode 3 of 'The Secret War' - the 1977 BBC series largely based on R.V. Jones' autobiography. 
As far as images go for testfirings:

There's a pretty good image here

The camouflaged Aggregat Vier on the revell box seems based on the museum exhibit in France. 

It's quite difficult to be sure whether the black/white scheme, which I hope to paint, divides the circumference in half or in quarters. The kit instructions just shows one view, with each section of the scheme black on one side, white on the other, but not whether it divides the fuselage into 2 or 4. Even the period videos I've seen don't really show one rotating to see how the pattern divides the fuselage. I'm beginning to think it halves it, which is annoying as I've started masking mine in quarters!  It's a funny old world too when V2s have got their own website!

52 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

This link should be of use.

Mike

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/makeup/markings.html

Amazing!

http://www.v2rocket.com/start/deployment/hellendoorn_dalfsen.html

I used to drive the route called out near Dalfsen every day for a couple of years... this I didn't know.

Looking at the markings link, it would seem that the kit scene most closely resembles 'black and white version 2' which I THINK implies that each black or white section extends half way round, then changes to the other one for the 2nd half. That's annoying. Thanks for everyone for your input (I didn't look carefully enough when Mike sent the link initially), but if anyone has any further thoughts I'd love to hear!  The Revell scheme depicts the first successful launch in 1942. 

Am I right in thinking this was someone else's kit initially?  Whoever it was initially made by it is beautifully done (although the launch 'table' is a thing of evil. I'm not used to such tiny fragile parts!  Thanks again to all JD