Private Spitfire IX - Eduard 1/72

For this kit I used: dash board from Yahu, seat belts, exhaust pipes from Eduard and custom made decals. References Stratus "Polish Wings vol.15. Polish Spitfire IX".
Short story about this plane.
After a combat mission, F/O Jan Jonker from 322 Dutch Squadron (3W-K) was force to land at Rennes (USAAF) due to engine trouble – 12 August 1944. This plan was never transfer to a repair. The RAF liaison officer by the 100th Fighter Wing USAAF W/Cdr Tom Nail get it running and used for communications flight. He let removed the painting, so become this Spitfire it’s NMF. In late 1944 Nail received a new posting and was forced to get rid of his unusual personal aeroplane. After a long search, he managed to find an officer who was not deter by the illegal way the machine was acquire. The officer was W/Cdr Marian Duryasz the Polish Liaison Officer at the HQ 2nd TAF. He painted the code M(arian) B(arbara his wife) – D(uryasz) on this plane. In February, he left this plane behind for S/Ldr Ludwik Martel.

IMG-9236.jpg
IMG-9237.jpg
IMG-9239.jpg
IMG-9240.jpg
IMG-9241.jpg
IMG-9242.jpg

Edited by hadzi
  • Like 32
  • Thanks 2

Beautiful model, Spitfires look stunning in NMF.

I recently read Tom Neil's book 'The Silver Spitfire' and can recommend it (plenty of copies on evilBay). Incidentally, when his story was initially published by one of the UK's better known Aviation magazines in the 1980s, it was met with scepticism and derided as fiction by many - until later, when a Polish researcher traced the aircraft's history including movements after Neil had disposed of it and confirmed the story. 

Edited by AeroNautique
Corrected details - cheers hadzi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AeroNautique said:

Beautiful model, Spitfires look stunning in NMF.

I recently read Tom Neil's book 'The Silver Spitfire' and can recommend it (plenty of copies on evilBay). Incidentally, when this story was initially published by one of the UK's better known Aviation magazines in the 1980s, it was met with scepticism and derided as fiction by many - until later, when a Polish or Czech researcher (I forget which) traced the aircraft's history including movements after Neil had disposed of it and confirmed the story. 

It was Wojtek Matusiak from Poland. He published it in a book about Polish Spitfires "Polish Wings vol.15 Spitfire IX", in this book we get a few pictures of this plane flown by Duryasz and one with the original codes 3W-K. Second source is the book from Duryasz himself "Moje podniebne boje" published last year in Poland.

Edited by hadzi
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hadzi said:

Second source is the book from Duryasz himself "Moje podniebne boje" published last year in Poland

Thank you for the correction hadzi. I couldn't find a copy Duryasz's book in English...hopefully it's translated in future.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, AeroNautique said:

Thank you for the correction hadzi. I couldn't find a copy Duryasz's book in English...hopefully it's translated in future.

I can ask his son, if it's planed.

• Like 1