Tyrrell P34 - 1/12 scale Tamiya Formula 1 Big Scale

Following on from my last Porsche 935 build I have decided to build a full detail Williams Renault FW14B, but while I await final detail parts from Spain (the delay has been prolonged further) I have decided to build an out of the box(ish) Tamiya Tyrrell P34...Let the fun begin...

First off, when the kit arrived, I must say I was disappointed with the size of the box in comparison with my current Porsches and williams kits...but the contents look very good. 

spacer.png   spacer.png

This was purchased secondhand via Ebay, and had been started. It contains a small fuel injector update kit and some new decals (partial set)

For the price and my intention I was pleased enough. All parts appear to be present and correct. Work completed appears to be minimal...

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I have some detail parts left over from previous Porsche build, braided lines, connectors, tyre valves etc which I shall utilise as I have them. But generally, I plan on stock build as I have the Williams and a further Jagermeister Porsche 934 with full details en route. While waiting for delivery, I did order appropriate Tamiya paints and lacquer (TS15 Blue and TS13 clear rattle cans) I have purchased an airbrush to utilise for Williams but wanted quick and easy for the Tyrrell. I have also, having noted the discoloration of the included decals, order a new set from Indycals and they are on the way across the pond. Only after ordering these did I notice a set within the box, but they only contain decals for Depaillier (Car No 4) but I wanted to cover Jody Scheckter (No 3) As I have alluded to, I want a low/no pressure build. Expenditure for this build will be minimised due to previous modelling outgoings!!!

spacer.png  

I'm hoping for an interesting and fun build. The kit, even at this age looks beautifully moulded, with thin sections and exquisite details. This has no PE and I will not be adding any other than that in the E.Jan DFV Funnel and distributer kit. Any other bits I have already will be utilised if appropriate but no more buying for it! I have some seatbelt PE and straps so those will find their way into the cockpit.

While waiting for things to arrive I have started searching the internet for close up shots and diagrams for research to aid painting and detailing. 

On with the build...

Edited by Peter Milgate
added pictures
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Started at the begining, naturally...by making a right mess of the chassis tub...struggled to get any stable coverage, finally rattle canned it in chrome, which matched colour of polished aluminum well, but ended up about half inch thick...damn.

decided to soldier on and as parts and colur have been added, I'm more accepting of it, but it isn't helping the build process.

spacer.png    spacer.png

Luckily, and annoyingly I noticed I had installed the steering rack upside down. This required some dissembling and swearing was involved...

spacer.png     spacer.png

So, I have attached brake and clutch lines. I have also built throttle cable (incorrectly routed, but noticed its placement too late. Fire extinguisher tubing as well as brake lines for front wheels. (currently brake braided hose but this will be painted yellow later. As i said, the colour is starting to remove obvious poor work on tub...I think. 

Work commneced on front suspension supports and batteries. I couldn't find any decent reference shots for the batteries so am going with instruction sheet colour of gloss white. In the above shot is how they arrived in the kit. 

Good and steady progress being made. Cockpit tub has yet to be weathered but I think it will really pop when given some highlights and a wash...

spacer.png  spacer.png

Indycals have arrived, slightly disppointed as this is just external car markings, but are for Jody Scheckter (#3 car) so thats good. They are same as replacements in kit (but Depailler #4 car) but no fire extinguisher or battery/miscellaneous markings. The original kits were used and thankfully went on okay. I have been notified by Spotmodel that I have some parcels coming, these have additional thermal decals and other odd bits and bobs which may be useful as well as the FW14B super detail kits...

spacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 6

Peter, 

You and I must have similar build programmes, I'm going to be tackling this one next as well, so interested in your trail blazing.

I'll just sit at the back and take notes.....

PS @Orso is a bit of an expert on this car, his builds (albeit 1/20th) on F1.com are great for those little details.

Dave

• Like 1

On 14/04/2021 at 12:12, Coors54 said:

Peter, 

You and I must have similar build programmes, I'm going to be tackling this one next as well, so interested in your trail blazing.

I'll just sit at the back and take notes.....

PS @Orso is a bit of an expert on this car, his builds (albeit 1/20th) on F1.com are great for those little details.

Dave

Thanks for the heads up Dave, don't plan on going too mad with this as it was purchased just to fill waiting time...but I think this is starting to develop more than I had anticipated.

I'll check @Orso out. 

Parcel from Spotmodel arrived very quickly, and I appear to have escaped any nasty import duties...so far...

spacer.png

spacer.png  

Some parts destined for FW14B...really high quality, hope I can do them justice...

Some generic parts for anything really....Few bits, added specifically for the Tyrrell...

Building is continuing with front suspension parts...quite tedious work but is starting to look like a car!

spacer.png  

Just joining upper bodywork so it can set and then be filled/sanded. Lower chassis body work and seat are painted in correct blue. Bodywork goes on in correct sequence and style as real car. Impresive engineering for a model of this age...I have added wires to batteries (not visible in this shot as well as a bit more wiring in front of footwell.

Edited by Peter Milgate
added pictures
  • Like 3

That's quite a haul from Spot Models Peter. I bought the Reji seat belt set from them a few months ago myself but was very disappointed, the etch is sized to the ribbon used for the belts and is far too big for 1/12th, more like 1/8th or even bigger. I pointed this out to Spot (with photo's) but they said no one else had mentioned it.

I bought a 1/12 MFH seatbelt set in the UK to replace it and the hardware and belts are much smaller and to scale so I'm convinced the Reji ones are too big, be interested in your take on them.

Dave

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Model is slowly forming into several sub-assemblies...suspension, engine and ancillaries...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Engine block as it came in kit,

spacer.png   

Kit injector on right, detail up part left. Not much between them honestly.

spacer.png                                             
And post paint and wash...   

Next up, front suspension assembly after much painting of linkages and arms, this seemed to go on forever...added brake lines to wheel hubs prior to assembly.

spacer.png           

spacer.png

spacer.png

Some wiring nest to tidy up now, leads on batteries, brake lines to join and route, some hyrdraulic bits and general 'look busy' tubing to tidy in front of chassis. Then onto cockpit interior. I have painted engine block, given it a wash and drybrush so that it coming on. Gearbox has had basecoat of gunmetal. Chassis will get light grey wash soon...some odd nuts and bolts to pick out on wheel hubs etc...progressing okay though. 

spacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

To help you out Michael Church...

spacer.png

So a bit more tidying up of wires and fitting out the cockpit, none of which will be seen with seat and covers in place...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So cockpit and front bulkhead look more realistic, bit busier, work carried on in the engine plant...

spacer.png

spacer.png    

So that is all the work done so far. Engine was a delight to do, cockpit a bit fussy but not problematic. Front suspension seemed never ending. 

Decals in cockpit were stolen from a Porsche 935, kit included ones just look like a black out of focus mess so opted for something a bit clearer though not accurate. 

I have purchased some decal sheet to try to print my own, primarily for engine Lucas produced biege fuel injection box. I liked the fuel tubing and overall look of the updated trumpets. 

I believe its steering wheel and then oil tanks and engine attachment framework next. So wiring carried from instrument cluster to rear of monocoque will find a home. On we go...

spacer.png  spacer.png

In other news, last parts from Spotmodel have arrived, so I now have allof Williams FW14B upgrades as well as Studiolab Porsche 934 upgrade box. Lots of small parts to lose...but they are for next project(s)

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 5

On 21/04/2021 at 23:34, Coors54 said:

Reji seat belt set from them a few months ago myself but was very disappointed, the etch is sized to the ribbon used for the belts and is far too big for 1/12th, more like 1/8th or even bigger. I pointed this out to Spot (with photo's) but they said no one else had mentioned it.

I bought a 1/12 MFH seatbelt set in the UK to replace it

OTish, but how wide is the webbing in these sets? At 1/12 scale, 2" scales down to 4mm, and 3" to 6mm.

D

1 hour ago, Paws4thot said:
On 4/21/2021 at 11:34 PM, Coors54 said:

OTish, but how wide is the webbing in these sets? At 1/12 scale, 2" scales down to 4mm, and 3" to 6mm.

I'll have to dig them out and check them both and get back to you.

20 minutes ago, Coors54 said:

D

I'll have to dig them out and check them both and get back to you.

In the Reji F1 set you get two differing width webbing, one is 9mm, the other is 6mm wide. In my Reji Sport car belt set they are 6mm, with smaller looking main buckle/centre piece. The clip in sections are all smaller, width wise. 

I also picked up a Scalemotorsport set which has 9mm wide shoulder harnesses and 5 mm wide lap belts. Metal furniture looks better in the SMS set. But belts are white and appeaer to need to be painted somehow. 

Okay, I have dug out my pack of seatbelt materials and give you the following comparison between the Reji parts on the left and MFH F1 belt set on the right, both are intended for 1/12 models -

e01622d8-16da-448c-8621-7a2429e69115.jpg

Note the difference in the size of the hardware, the Reji buckles being huge and they look stretched to me.

7bf8771f-33c0-4e2e-9c18-64758d7d9a20.jpg

The Reji belt material is 10mm and 6mm wide, the MFH is 4mm wide. The Reji buckles scale up to being about 125mm or 5" wide, not sure I would like to wear them.

77cdc61c-798f-446b-bb08-78a31706f549.jpg

And here is Reji hardware next to a 1/12 Tamiya Lotus 78 seat

8c041584-9829-4f30-a9e0-166a2faa52cc.jpg

Put a set of those on the seat and they would look ridiculous IMO.

Anyway, enough going down this lane, the Tyrrell is coming on great and I've just started mine. Can anyone confirm what the small boxes are on either side of the chassis in front of the front wheels? Are they batteries?

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Both,

I believe seat belts were around 3" wide in the 70's. I have looked for the 1976 F1 regs but can't easily find them.

(If anyone can find a copy online, I would be very grateful!)

That makes them 6.25mm in 1/12.

(4" belts are still only 8mm wide in 1/12)

Yes the boxes are batteries, there were 2 on the RHS and one on the LHS.

Hope these prove helpful:-

1976-05-16-Zolder-Belgium-13.jpg
1976-05-30-Monaco-01.jpg
1976-05-30-Monaco-29.jpg
1976-07-18-Brands-Hatch-UK-10.jpg

Malc.

• Like 4

Thanks Malc, those pics are very helpful, do you have anything on the 1977 spec car but with the earlier bodywork? I'm making the Peterson car from the 77 Belgian GP and I believe the rear wing support could have been a bit different?

I like that last picture with the foam taped over the brake cylinders, it would make a nice detail.

Dave

Thanks Malc, no matter how many times I trawl that archive I always seem to find something new. It also fires up my enthusiasm.

Poor Derek Gardner looks more and more careworn as the season progresses doesn't he? It must have been such a frustrating season for the whole team knowing that whatever they did wouldn't make up for the front tyres being undeveloped and losing so much time and grip.

Dave

6 hours ago, Malc2 said:

I believe seat belts were around 3" wide in the 70's.

Update:-

This PM I mailed Willans (who supplied the Tyrrell harnesses for 1976), their response was that in 1976 they were 2" wide.

So in 1/12 this is 4.16mm.

That makes the Reji belts 1/5 scale!

Malc.

Edited by Malc2
  • Thanks 2

On 17/05/2021 at 13:01, Coors54 said:

Okay, I have dug out my pack of seatbelt materials and give you the following comparison between the Reji parts on the left and MFH F1 belt set on the right, both are intended for 1/12 models -

e01622d8-16da-448c-8621-7a2429e69115.jpg

Note the difference in the size of the hardware, the Reji buckles being huge and they look stretched to me.

7bf8771f-33c0-4e2e-9c18-64758d7d9a20.jpg

The Reji belt material is 10mm and 6mm wide, the MFH is 4mm wide. The Reji buckles scale up to being about 125mm or 5" wide, not sure I would like to wear them.

77cdc61c-798f-446b-bb08-78a31706f549.jpg

And here is Reji hardware next to a 1/12 Tamiya Lotus 78 seat

8c041584-9829-4f30-a9e0-166a2faa52cc.jpg

Put a set of those on the seat and they would look ridiculous IMO.

Anyway, enough going down this lane, the Tyrrell is coming on great and I've just started mine. Can anyone confirm what the small boxes are on either side of the chassis in front of the front wheels? Are they batteries?

Dave

Yep, batteries. Plenty of pics on google Dave.

• 1 month later...

With the engine block sorted, same techniques and colours were applied to gearbox housing...adding rear roll bar connections and suspension attachments...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

I used Alclad Jet Exhaust for the exhausts, first time I'd ever used it...beautifu stuff, used with a brush!! Why have I never had this paint before??? Beautiful metallic sheen, smooth and lush. Of course, I lost an exhaust tip just prior to this stage...still being chewed on by carpet monster...

Oil tank was sprayed in chrome silver and also came out beautiful and shiny. Wheel hubs built along with shock absorbers and suspension completed once engine was attached to chassis...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Once the radiators were completed it meant some plumbing...what a pig of a job.

Tamiya original hoses were an easy follow but it left several hydraulic connections just blank so I did my best with what information I could muster to at least make it look and feel authentic...AN fittings were given obligatory clear red and blues for anodizing. 

Variety of spare hoses were used, different types and diameters. I also added some temperature sensors where they showed on my reference material just using some plastic rod and thin wire. Rear Rain light was fitted and wire added...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 4

To complete the tyres I used some internet sourced lettering, I think the Goodyear came from same supplier as replacement Depaillier decals. These had massive carrier film so needed close trimming. Extra detail was added using some Decalcas chalk markings. Once happy the side walls were given a coat of semi gloss varnish to try to tie it all together. The contact surface was given a rub down to lose mould line. This worked great for rears but I was concerned about the smaller fronts so was less aggresive with those, prefering to keep small mould line...

spacer.png  spacer.png

spacer.png

Bodywork was next to be tackled. Slowly using replacement decals, again having to cut close to image as they had no seperation on the whole sheet. 

Some thermal stickers were used, but these are not really 1976 stuff but appear on recent rebuilds of the car...adds a bit of colour though.

Once dry, this was given a coat of Tamiya gloss from a rattle can...while I'm not the best at spraying, I was happy with results...

spacer.png

I have ordered the parts for the display case, again from www.perspexsheet.uk. 5mm with mirror rear panel...

The body work on the car effectively clips on and it is now complete except the seat belts...

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png   

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Done....👍😊👌

Edited by Peter Milgate
  • Like 9

Nice work Peter, I shall be very happy if mine looks anywhere near that good and the gloss looks right for the period, smooth and shiny but not too 2K, if you know what I mean.

I'm just climbing out of front suspension hell with mine, I've had to make changes too as I'm doing a '77 spec car so new roll bar and brake ducts, but as you say it seems never ending....

Dave

• Like 1