HMS Rodney Micromaster

Xtof P

I´m planning to do the Trumpeter Rodney with the Pontos set in 1/200 at some stage, probably when i´ve got mor spare time than now. But a big part of the fun is research i´m doing in advance and finding interesting add ons.

I just came across the Micro Master goodies on the net and wanted to ask if anybody had some experience with Micro Master?

And are there some cpecial pieces one would recommend for building the Rodney?  I´m quite keen on the charley floats. What about range finders? Boats? Hatches? As said before i´ve got the Pontos set and would only try to get those things that are a real improvement. 

Or does anybody know a mail adress so i could contact them directly? I could not find one on their website.... 

Thanks in advance, Xtof

Edited by Xtof P
  • Like 2

Hi Xtof P

I'll pick this up since no-one else has bitten.

And thanks for your kind comments on the 50ft Steam Pinnace.

I think to some extent I've championed MicroMaster here on Britmodeller, certainly in 1/350.

I've made extensive use of them in my County Class Cruiser builds:

and most recently in HMS Griffin

You are arleady familiar with the Pinnace.  Detail and quality are superb in 1/350 and I can only presume will remain so in 1/200

The range is expanding and covers all of the RN "generic" fittings such as boats and small calibre weapons.  Simon Percival is the owner/creator and seems a very fine fella.

The Carley floats are particularly good.  Pieces are not cheap and clearly the cost for 1/200 is going to stack up.  Delivery from NZ has been lengthy throughout this year but has improved and my most recent delivery was approx 4 weeks.

There is no Email contact on the site as you say so contact is best acheived through the Facebook page where there is an active group 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MicroMaster/

and a commercial page

https://www.facebook.com/micromaster3dprintedhobbyparts

MicroMaster still has a presence on Shapeways but IMHO the finish and quality on parts from there is well below that direct from Simon and the delivery charge is punitive.  However currrently there are pieces available there that Simon is not yet doing directly.

As to range finders - you'd ned to specifically check which was appropriate fro Rodney and at what time period.  If you look carefully on the first FB MM site there is a thread with a link to a table citing specific HACs appropriate to vessel

Come back to me if you can't find it.

The only other specific Rodney resource that I'm aware of is the meticulously researched scheme done as an A3 format glossy guide from Sovereign

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/profile-and-e-books/products/a3-printed-colour-profile-hms-rodney-1

Sounds like an ambitious project - hope you feature it in WIP

HTH

Rob

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, robgizlu said:

Hi Xtof P

I'll pick this up since no-one else has bitten.

And thanks for your kind comments on the 50ft Steam Pinnace.

I think to some extent I've championed MicroMaster here on Britmodeller, certainly in 1/350.

I've made extensive use of them in my County Class Cruiser builds:

and most recently in HMS Griffin

You are arleady familiar with the Pinnace.  Detail and quality are superb in 1/350 and I can only presume will remain so in 1/200

The range is expanding and covers all of the RN "generic" fittings such as boats and small calibre weapons.  Simon Percival is the owner/creator and seems a very fine fella.

The Carley floats are particularly good.  Pieces are not cheap and clearly the cost for 1/200 is going to stack up.  Delivery from NZ has been lengthy throughout this year but has improved and my most recent delivery was approx 4 weeks.

There is no Email contact on the site as you say so contact is best acheived through the Facebook page where there is an active group 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MicroMaster/

and a commercial page

https://www.facebook.com/micromaster3dprintedhobbyparts

MicroMaster still has a presence on Shapeways but IMHO the finish and quality on parts from there is well below that direct from Simon and the delivery charge is punitive.  However currrently there are pieces available there that Simon is not yet doing directly.

As to range finders - you'd ned to specifically check which was appropriate fro Rodney and at what time period.  If you look carefully on the first FB MM site there is a thread with a link to a table citing specific HACs appropriate to vessel

Come back to me if you can't find it.

The only other specific Rodney resource that I'm aware of is the meticulously researched scheme done as an A3 format glossy guide from Sovereign

https://www.sovereignhobbies.co.uk/collections/profile-and-e-books/products/a3-printed-colour-profile-hms-rodney-1

Sounds like an ambitious project - hope you feature it in WIP

HTH

Rob

Thanks a lot Rob!

I had a look at your builds and they're just amazing. The bases you're made are pretty damn cool too.

And yes, its quite ambitious, especially as i've been exclusevly into large scale sportscars and 32nd scale planes before. There shiploads of techniques i will have to learn, research i'll have to do and collecting bits and pieces before i start. And a few other projects are in the pipeline still.... But those ships are just fascinating. So, dont now when i'll start but i will, and it may take a long time to build - and i'll make a thread on here.

Xtof 

• Like 1

I'll second Rob's comments, Simon at MicroMaster is great to deal with, I recently bought some parts to enhance my part built Frog 1/325 HMS Trafalgar, I contacted him through his Facebook page and asked if he could print some parts from his 1/350 range in 1/325 scale, and yes he can and at no extra cost either.

And delivery only took 3 to 4 weeks from New Zealand to Wales.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...