Hurricane I T9531 Canopy Framing Colour.

Alex Gordon

G'day Chums,

Having found this photo of one of the options in the Airfix 1/48th Tropical boxing I've had a good trawl round for opinions and,so far,found no mention of the colour of the canopy framing.

9bed57f5-424f-4da5-ae18-cab7b5e19461.JPG

It doesn't look like Aluminium paint to me,in the big photo it looks more like the same colour as the roundel centre.Does anyone have any gen on this please?

31 minutes ago, Alex Gordon said:

Does anyone have any gen on this please?

Hi Alex

likely the original camo colour, as is the chamfered part of the doghouse, and the windscreen framing,  which makes sense, easy to mask of these and then spray with aluminium dope.

No, don't know the original camo colour, I'd suggest Middle Stone as this is usually what ran through the cockpit on desert scheme aircraft,  but I'm away from my Air Britain books, so no idea of the history of T9531,  something shipped out to Rhodesia as a trainer may never have been in desert scheme, so could be Dark Green.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

T9531, Canadian Built Hurricane Mark I, 15 MU 15 November 1940, 48 MU 15 February 1941, 47 MU 4 April 1941, on ship coded R.140 for Takoradi 14 April 1941 marked as not tropicalised, Middle East July 1941, SOC 31 March 1946.

No idea if it was repainted while in Britain or after arrival in Africa.

Edited by Geoffrey Sinclair
added non tropicalised to shipment information.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2