A 1/72 Revell (Frog) Avro Shackleton MR3

The engines and propellers were assembled last night. All rotate freely. The red was touched up on the one spinner where it rubbed off in places.

Then the whole Shackleton was given 3 light coats of Humbrol Gloss Cote via my airbrush. A couple of areas have come out overly glossy. I’ll have to get some satin Cote to tone it down a bit.

With the exhausts, it occurred to my that although the colour was acceptable (to me anyway), there was too little detail with the exhaust manifold and pipe all the same colour. So I decided to paint the top and front portion of the manifold in IJN Grey to simulate a cowling over the exhaust. My thinking was if it still doesn’t look right, I could completely paint the front section for a complete cowling over the front part of the exhaust. Unfortunately, this is one area where the Gloss Cote is too shiny and will need toning down.

zyqvK78.jpg

2oRliyR.jpg

• Like 10

Sorry I’ve not been posting the past few nights - I’ve not been well.

I had a bout of being sick followed by a bad pain in the side of my chest (I think I’ve pulled a muscle).

The tablets I’m taking to alleviate the pain leaves me feeling woozy.

Until this clears, I’m afraid I won’t be doing any modelling.

• Sad 7

Feel better soon!  

When you feel up to it, and regarding the exhausts, you can always tone them down by shooting some clear flat at low pressure over them, several coats' worth, leaving a trail of flat behind the exhausts.  With some crushed charcoal or pastel applied with a brush, you can apply as much or as little as you like, even blending shades, to get the effect you want, before applying another coat of flat to seal it in.  I did this on my Revell C-54, and the results are quite good.

This looks like it's coming along as planned!  Nice work.

• Thanks 1

I’m afraid it’s going to be even longer before I can return to the Shackleton.

What I thought was just a bad nuisance pain has taken a turn for the worse which has seen me admitted to hospital for a suspected burst gallbladder. This came as a hell of a shock as I’ve never had any serious illness in my life.
I will return to modelling as soon as I’m back home and up to it.

• Sad 8

That's sounds painful. Let's hope they get you back to full fitness soon.

I had gallstones a couple of years ago and it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, but I can't begin to imagine how a burst gall bladder must feel. 

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and just remind your surgeon that you have that Shackleton to finish for us😉

• Thanks 1

Do get well!   No need for you to rush to finish this--recovery is always at your own pace.

I would blame it all on Dr. Samuel Gall, the inventor of the Gall Bladder.*  It's an overrated organ.  

*Tom Lehrer deserves credit/blame for this.

• Thanks 1

I can’t believe somebody put up a laugh icon in my last post. When the drain was put in, it was the most pain I had endured, even with anaesthetic.

I purposely haven’t looked to see who it was as I don’t want to fall out, but whoever it was, could you please change/remove it as I find it insensitive.

I might have missed something in the intention, due to the meds, and I apologise if it causes offence.

• Sad 1

On 02/05/2021 at 07:37, cngaero said:

That's sounds painful. Let's hope they get you back to full fitness soon.

I had gallstones a couple of years ago and it was the worst pain I have ever felt in my life, but I can't begin to imagine how a burst gall bladder must feel. 

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery and just remind your surgeon that you have that Shackleton to finish for us😉

Thanks for the messages of support wan well wishing. It’s greatly appreciated.

The gall bladder pain paled into insignificance when the put the drain in - I won’t forget that in a hurry.

• Sad 4

10 hours ago, Brigbeale said:

I can’t believe somebody put up a laugh icon in my last post

Sorry, it was me. I was intending to put the sad one and I must have carelessly pressed the wrong one. I have changed it. Sorry again that it added to your discomfort.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

Just browsing EBay as everybody else in this ward is sleeping - apart from the noisy sod they moved in next to me about an hour ago and almost had a shock.

This was listed

6OlItx8.jpg

I thought the wife was selling off my collection in my absence:tired: - fortunately it’s too different from mine

XJzI8sL.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Brigbeale said:

I thought the wife was selling off my collection in my absence

Now that would not be a good thing.  Try and rest--don't worry about these things.  Think instead about problem-solving any issues you might have with your existing builds instead.

• Like 1

Blimey, I only took my eye off the ball for a day or so and here you are missing me so much you needed to pop into horspiddle for a recuperate.

Seriously do take care to follow the doc's advice to the letter, we want you back healthy Brian.

Can I take you back to that Phantom, amazing how too many stencils obliterate the model.

A handy hint not to use so many of them when I do mine.

Get well soon mate, luckily you can still chat with us when you need a mood changer.

Best wishes to you friend, get well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, perdu said:

Can I take you back to that Phantom, amazing how too many stencils obliterate the model.

A handy hint not to use so many of them when I do mine.

Thanks for the laugh and support. That cheered me up a bit.

Regarding the Phantom, as I remember it took me 4 evenings’ work to apply them. 
The restored Frog Sea Vixen is now sat next to the Phantom in the cabinet and looks a bit naked without all of the marking/warning stencils the Phantom has.

• Thanks 1

I thought I’d update you all on my progress in hospital.

I’m feeling a lot better today than I did a couple of days ago. 
I free of an I.V. Drip which I’ve been on since I was bought in. One was fluids and the other was a strong antibiotic to fight the infection. That means I’m taking morphine and antibiotic tablets by mouth now (the I.V. Drip antibiotic was quite a hard hitting one which they wanted me off as it could cause other issues elsewhere). I’m glad to be off it as well - it means I can get up and have a short walk if I want to to keep my exercise up.

The doctor came round this morning and told me if all goes well I could probably go home tomorrrow, with a view to come back at a later date to have the gall bladder removed. 

While in here, I did manage to snap up a Revell Tempest kit to enable me to rebuild the one I purchased as a pair (from the same seller funnily enough) for restoration - the other one being a Matchbox version. That’s due for delivery on Tuesday but that will definitely stay in quarantine for a couple of weeks.

I’d love to jump straight back onto the Shackleton, but I think I’ll need a few days of adjustment to get used to being at home again. 

Hospitals are essential and I’m grateful we have (in my opinion) the best in the world, but it’s surprising how noisy they are and how much I miss being home even after one week.

Once again, thanks for your messages of support and well being.

• Like 8