Looking for VF-85 Hellcat Photo’s

Hello everyone... Im looking for any photo’s of VF-85 F6F-5 Hellcats from the early months of 1945. They were on board USS Shangri-La and would’ve carried the lightning bolt identifier on the tail and wings. I e only found this cgi version. MhQqFRc.jpg

Seeing as I’m doing a Corsair with these markings and have an Eduard Hellcat which I’d like to build alongside of it. If not I will fall back and do the VF83 kit markings. qlblPXa.jpg
Any help I would be of grateful for. 

Dennis

Not a fan of overall sea blue Hellcats, with the exception of F6F-5N's, but see if these VF-85 Hellcat photos help. Evidently, like most other carriers late in 1945, the geometric  markings were dropped for code letter, with 'Z' being used by Shangri-la. Guessing you want to do a Hellcat with the geometric markings? I have a reference that describes and illustrates the carrier markings and codes for all USN aircraft- not photos, but text and drawings of the markings applied to wings and fins- let me know  if you need scans of the Shangri-la's aircraft markings, but looks like you have those already.

Mike

Two VF-85 Hellcats photographed on August 17, 1945

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/f6f-hellcat/f6f-hellcats-of-vf-85-uss-shangri-la-cv-38-in-flight-near-japan-on-august-17-1945/

Dennis- looks like the only Shangri-la Hellcats that had the geometric markings were F6F-5P's- they pretty much were flying Corsairs at that time. (Does the kit come with parts to do a -5P?)

http://www.researcheratlarge.com/Ships/Airgroups/CV-38.html

I didn't see any VF-85 F6F photos that had the geometric markings, just the 'Z' code on the fin and wings. IIRC, most Essex class carriers only carried a couple of camera-equipped Hellcats.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

In Jan 1945 CVG-85 only had 2 F6F-5P as part of VF-85. In early April 1945, while the air group was ashore in Hawaii, 6 F6F-5N were added to the VF-85 aircraft complement at the expense of some F4U-1C (the cannon armed variant). Information extracted from the USN reports.

https://www.history.navy.mil/research/histories/naval-aviation-history/involvement-by-conflict/world-war-ii/location-of-us-naval-aircraft-world-war-ii/1945.html

The same F6F complement was still aboard in Aug 1945.

The geometric patterns (G markings) used by the CV and CVL Air Groups were replaced on 27th July 1945 by single and double letter codes 24” high on vertical tail surfaces, above the starboard wing and below the port wing. But only those carriers at sea with TG38 changed their markings at that point. In late August further instructions ordered them increased in size to 30” and 36”.

Edit - The G markings may not have been used on the night fighters. Some of the night air groups did not carry them to minimise aircraft visibility.

Edited by EwenS
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Guessing you want to do a Hellcat with the geometric markings? I have a reference that describes and illustrates the carrier markings and codes for all USN aircraft- not photos, but text and drawings of the markings applied to wings and fins- let me know  if you need scans of the Shangri-la's aircraft markings, but looks like you have those already.

Mike

Two VF-85 Hellcats photographed on August 17, 1945

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/f6f-hellcat/f6f-hellcats-of-vf-85-uss-shangri-la-cv-38-in-flight-near-japan-on-august-17-1945/

Dennis- looks like the only Shangri-la Hellcats that had the geometric markings were F6F-5P's- they pretty much were flying Corsairs at that time. (Does the kit come with parts to do a -5P?)

Hey Mike, yes Geometric identifiers. Only because the Navy was rude and wouldn't operate the Corsair off carriers while wearing anything other than GSB. I wont do a VF-17 Bird so that leaves GSB or nothing Navy. Im building my first navy corsair in 27 years. I also might add an Avenger to get the trio in the same markings. I found some night-fighters wearing the geometric identifiers but in outline form only to reduce their visibility ?

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/f6f-hellcat/f6f-5n-hellcat-21-of-vfn-90-bats/

Might go that route ? Im not sure haven't looked in the box to much but seriously doubt Eduard provides a recon option in any of its boxings. But shouldn't be too hard. I scratched the recon stuff for the bearcat you helped me with. It should just be a matter of adding the window ports and grease deflectors around them. The Hellcat kit does come with the geometric identifier for VF-83

qlblPXa.jpg

So If worse comes to worse I will switch Carriers to the USS Essex. I can match the corsair markings for sure that way. kmbyeCA.jpg

Nothing against the Essex, great ship but was hoping to do the Shangri-La. 

Dennis

12 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

If there's anybody on the planet who might have the photos you seek, it would be Jim Sullivan of North Carolina. I'll email him and see.

Thanks If he is able or willing too, Im even ready to keep them private if he doesn't want them public or on the net. 

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Thanks If he is able or willing too, Im even ready to keep them private if he doesn't want them public or on the net. 

I heard back from Jim. He has no photos of VF-85 Hellcats with the lightning bolts.

• Thanks 1