Supermarine Seafire MkIb

I picked up this CMR Seafire a while ago when the only way to make a Seafire in 1:72 was to convert a Spitfire kit or one of CMR's resin kits. I've a few in the stash and some have been built but then Admiral, Sword and AZ Models all introduced injection moulded Seafires, and almost every Seafire Mark is available IM. So the resin kits have been left sitting in their bags. Which is a shame as they're accurate, nicely moulded and well engineered. And unlike some resin ranges they're not all that challenging to build. 

This build is therefore not something a bit esoteric like my Parnall Plover but more mainstream but one can never have too many Seafires. 

resized_09e0e57b-e7a5-4e4f-b219-822452f2

At some point I started the kit by putting some paint on the interior bits, and presumably giving it a thorough wash in my ultrasonic cleaner. Nothing's off the moulding blocks and cyano hasn't come near so it's well below the 25% already built. Here are the parts, all nice and fine and with a one piece wing, optional filters and an external tank. 

resized_2f1029e4-8781-4b68-bce6-a85e9552

CMR's instructions are good and there's livery options for three aircraft. Although the colour call out for the 885 NAS aircraft is a bit strange. I'll probably go for the 880 NAS option as I've actually got a couple of Seafires finished in the other options that I built in the Spitfire/Seafire GB. 

resized_2c2b33f0-ed1d-45d8-a41e-8d748c2c

resized_9d105e5f-f1c7-4510-99a5-16924f94

Fairly straightforward transfer sheet 

resized_0a40d601-7bdb-4c4a-b5e8-5c23724e

and probably he most challenging part for me but thankfully there's two, a vac form canopy. 

resized_c2f53f6d-88d6-4f7e-ad2a-0d02677f

The build will be out of the box (bag?) with the addition of seat belts. If I have a spare IM canopy that fits in the stash I might use that instead of spending hours swearing at a tiny piece of vac form. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The cyano was out this morning so the Seafire was addressed. Fuselage glued together, after first checking the cockpit can be inserted from below, the cockpit assembled and the radiator and oil cooler added to the underside of the wing. I'll let everything cure up and then tidy up the fuselage joint which will need a small amount of work. Seat belts to be added and the cockpit can be inserted. 

resized_6120cfd7-1013-413b-b0df-dcdd075b

• Like 7

19 hours ago, Adam Poultney said:

This one looks interesting

Thanks Adam, CMR do a nice range of resin Seafires, which are relatively straightforward to build, this is an earlier one and needs a little bit of care, but no more challenging than a short range injection moulded kit. 

Ive added some seatbelts, Kity Hawk 3D printed decals, which are new for me. Went on OK but needed a little bit of work. I didn't use all the bits just enough to give the impression of seat belts. The Seafire cockpit is quite small and tight and not much can be seen once the canopy is on. 

resized_f5273a39-b3b7-4764-8ede-4c43e4d6

• Like 6

Another burst of cyano activity has led to the cockpit inserted, the wings on and the tailplane s on. Looks like a Seafire now. I did a bit of fettling to get the wings on right but there's still some seams that need filling. There will also be a bit of work at the wing root rear that will be needed but bit by bit I'll get there. 

resized_1f17101f-7cae-4c05-8067-77232e86

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

All the filling done and the lower surfaces painted Sky, then masked for some paint on the upper surfaces. Brush painted with Xtracrylix thinned with Flow Improver. 

resized_a83e5d70-0711-42cc-9f3c-4fb31e70

Masking removed and demarcation on the fuselage is fine

resized_2ca038de-329c-4324-93ad-34ebce24

but the leading edges will need a bit of work and probably re-done. 

resized_5afea276-8bea-4101-a37b-0c3895aa

• Like 7

Paint tidied up and because putting the transfers on will mean a fair bit of handling and the next set of parts are quite delicate I decided to get the transfers on now. I feel they bring an airframe to life. The CMR transfers handled well despite their age. I did have some problems with a couple of the wing walkway lines breaking up but they were easily sorted out. 

resized_1a52d5b6-d4de-498f-ac9e-f9ddf807

Now to clean off any adhesive and I'll set about getting a couple of coats of matt varnish on before adding the detail. And the canopy. 

• Like 5

7 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Looks very nice in TSS!

Regards,

Adrian

TSS is definitely the best looking Scheme for early Mark Seafires. 

5 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

They have that. Really looks the business:thumbsup:

Thanks, the markings are simple, like most active duty Seafires but they do bring the plane to life. I've got a coat of matt varnish on now but no photos as a couple will probably be needed. 

8 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Lovely finishing there 825.  On the last leg now..

Thanks GB. 

Finished the varnishing so it'll be on to assembling the prop and undercarriage when I break out the cyano next. I'll start on the canopy next as it'll take a wee bit of time to cut out of the vac form sheet. 

resized_3bd96407-f1a1-480d-ae9e-76678730

• Like 2

Undercarriage on, as well as spinner assembly. The undercarriage was simple to assemble and feels deceptively strong. The exhausts broke up when trimming the excess resin off. I found a replacement pair in my box of bits left over from other Seafire builds. It's a bit of a juxtaposition using IM exhausts on a resin kit rather than the other way round. I thoughts I'd lost the prop blades and had found spare prop parts but they turned up. Cannon on too but one has lost the very fine end. 

resized_f1ee3dfa-0f35-4882-a27d-d2ea4fa5

• Like 2

Most parts on and some touching up in process. A little work to do, the canopy on, the aerial mast and pitot tube fixed, and that'll be the Seafire finished. 

resized_f6018fd9-9af3-4000-9101-d9123ecf

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Canopy masked and trimmed to fit and popped on. You can't see it at the moment but I found a gunsight in my box of Seafire/Spitfire bits along with an IM canopy. I've no idea about the make or provenance but the trimming to fit was a lot easier than the vac form in the kit. I know the vac form will be clearer and probably a bit more accurate but to be honest life's too short. 

resized_7da21981-eb19-46c9-b5ce-cc0ddf09

• Like 4

Canopy faired in, painted and given an initial coat of matt varnish. I'll let it dry and pop on a second coat before removing the masking. 

resized_990aa16b-9545-4fc2-8d69-8c6d2d4b

• Like 2

Canopy unmasked and the last two bits glued on. Just a bit of paint and varnish to complete and it'll be ready for the gallery. 

resized_f8fe4029-1673-42ba-8ba6-0e416bc3

• Like 3

Finished and ready for the gallery. 

resized_d64fa535-8275-4e25-b3db-df5102a0

resized_c1e5925c-ca51-4ffb-b72d-505df6f6

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

Absolutley love the carrier deck- is it something as simple as kitchen towel or cost a fortune from an obscure website? I'll believe either answer.

PS love the model as well😃

I'd love it if I were to have the skill to knock up something from paper towel, but it's one of Coastal Kits bases and backgrounds. They do a whole range of bases https://www.coastalkits.co.uk/newstore/carrier-decks/1-72-scale-carrier-decks.html?page=all not just carrier decks. They're not cheap but they're really nice and the fact I use them over and over again for photography gives value for money. 

PS, thanks for the comment on the model. 

• Like 1