Vega Gull VP-KCC Beryl Markham 1936 1/48

Grandboof

Beryl Markham- quite a 'character', apparently banned by royal decree from Britain! Read her memoirs after coming across her in the biography of Karen Blixen, mind all those inter-war peeps were 'character's!

This is one to watch

• Like 1

Hi All 

Some bits and pieces done . The instructions call for a number of smallish sub assembles to be done early. Given my ability to lose things on regular basis I have left most until required. The tail wheel is at risk though . There are a number of optional pieces ( Props exhausts Etc ) but the instructions are a little vague as to which are required . An internet search solved most problems . The exhaust will be my best guess . The plastic has a different feel but is easy to work with. Dry fitting and a good cleaning is essential here as the part fit is tight in some cases . The first photo etch is fitted ( the compass mount) something I have been dreading . Anyhow here is what has been done . Thanks for looking 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 3

What a lovely subject choice. I'm looking forward to watching your continued progress on this one Martin :) 

Hi All 

Been fitting small bits and pieces . Only 1 offering to the carpet god namely part of the seat belt . Fortunately there was a spare on the etch sheet . Next a quick prime and detail paint then on to the bigger bits . More soon 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi All 

What detail painting that will be is done . Next the moment of truth closing up . No locating lugs will be fun . Dry fitting indicates that the cabin and engine can be inserted after the fuselage halves are joined . This should make joining easier .That is the plan What could possibly go wrong?😉  Thanks for looking for soon 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 6

Hi All

A little more done . The fuselage close up was a little problem due to the lack of locating pins . I found it easier to start  from the rear to the cabin opening letting things set before lining up the forward section. The engine does have to small locating points and was in place easily. Everything is ready for inserting the cabin 

19 hours ago, CliffB said:

It's looking good Martin and it's always interesting when a kit builds up in a slightly different manner to normal.

Thanks Cliff So far so good 

Martin H 

spacer.png

• Like 5

Hi All

Well with a little wriggle here and there the cabin is in place . Two small problems 1 mold fault on the port wing root 2 the prop  shaft is a little short probably due to the initial locating .Both easily fixed . When using this method the engine needs to be fixed in place first ,then the shelf with throttle quadrant and finally the cabin . Thank as usual for dropping by

Martin H 

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All 

This thing is throwing up problems . The shelf with the throttle quadrant had to be relocated lower . A tiny bit of Blu tac was popped in to hold it in place while the glue settled . A few touch ups required . The lower engine cowl required some major surgery to fit . Most of the exhaust has been removed . I am working on the wings more later .

The kit is fine instructions not so much . More updates soon . Thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Grandboof said:

The kit is fine instructions not so much

I've done a couple of kits where I've lost the instructions and not noticed the difference! I suspect many of us have and you don't seem to be too handicapped by the instructions because it's looking good from here

Hi All

Some more done . First the parts for the wing fold seem to work better if the lower half is set in place on the wing then the upper half added . All control surfaces are tight and need a little trimming . The highlighted bits 

spacer.png

Then we have wings 

spacer.png

Still plenty to do but it's getting there Thanks all for dropping by 

Martin H

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All 

The clear pieces are in place. These are a little fiddly . I found it easier fix the doors to their halves then each half in place on the fuselage individually so as to get an accurate location of the lower joints . Not as per instructions but it worked . I have started masking( the fun bit?) . Should have some paint on soon . Thanks for dropping by

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...

Glad to see you've got the extensive glazing sections into place without too much trouble Martin.

• 3 weeks later...

Evening All

Flatt aluminium on despite my spray gun not playing nice . ( The paint was a little beyond it's prime) . More tomorrow with luck . 

spacer.png

The missing area on the port wing root is no more . There was a part on the sprue that was not mentioned in the instructions which fitted the gap 

spacer.png

Thanks for dropping by . More soon 

Martin H

• Like 4

Evening All 

Turquoise is done (Mr Color 391 Soviet cockpit turquoise ) . Tail and wings on . The fit was tight only slight trimming needed . Next a coat of clear then decals and the final bits and pieces . 

spacer.png

Thanks for dropping by 

Martin H

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Evening All 

Getting closer now but not counting chickens just yet . Decals are on .Last bits and pieces should be on tomorrow . The tail wheel will be are spares recruit as the kit part has deserted and joined the carpet legion . Thanks as usual for dropping by 

Martin H

spacer.png

• Like 4

That looks a bit awesome, I might have to try & track one of these down too, I bought the Proctor, Vega double kit recently, I don't think it has these decals in it? I was really after the Vega to convert it to a Jean Batten Gull Six.

Steve.

Hi Steve 

This one is 1/48 Civil use issue and I believe the decals are different to the 1/72 .Your Gull Six conversion should be great 

Martin H

14 hours ago, Grandboof said:

This one is 1/48 Civil use issue

I knew that. ;) :D , least I think I did back when you started, so many details, so little spare memory. :( Thanks for the reminder, something else to look into. :)

Steve