Revell 1/48 Tornado F3

Finally complete. An....ok kit. The dramas around the intakes are real and have been discussed before.

Eduard ASRAAM, Eduard cockpit, Eduard main wheels, Xtradecals.

Scratchbuilt intake covers from Tamiya tape.

resized_ab768cf8-8595-42b9-b142-7ae113d5

resized_6c9bd60a-7fa2-4896-b7aa-be18c47e

resized_eac6d88d-1c8b-4e75-b95f-6f54f922

resized_3096b54b-cc8d-46bb-bc0f-09b9b7c3

resized_2f601b1d-5aea-4725-adb2-17047561

Edited by DrumBum
  • Like 49
  • Thanks 1

Wow!  Another great Tornado. 

As with exdraken’s IDS (Norm 83) build, I also have this kit in the stash. But like every build review that I’ve read, these Revell kits are not easy, so it puts me off starting one. 

Thank you for showing your finished F3. You guys really make these kits look good. I hope I can do that someday. 

Nice work DrumBum. I recently finished the GR4 retirement scheme version and it sure was a challenge, fighting back at every opportunity.  I know, then, how much hard work you’ve put in to get such a great result.

wow,  those black tails look certainly great!

I am askingmyself why I did not deploy the flaps on at least one of mine ;)

you tamed the Revell Tornado :thumbsup:

12 hours ago, Mark V said:

Wow!  Another great Tornado. 

As with exdraken’s IDS (Norm 83) build, I also have this kit in the stash. But like every build review that I’ve read, these Revell kits are not easy, so it puts me off starting one. 

Thank you for showing your finished F3. You guys really make these kits look good. I hope I can do that someday. 

Its not what I would call an easy build, but its totally do-able. I was rather hesitant also bit jumped in and managed to throw it together. The main area of concern is around the engine intakes but glue and putty tend to solve all problems. 

9 hours ago, exdraken said:

wow,  those black tails look certainly great!

I am askingmyself why I did not deploy the flaps on at least one of mine ;)

you tamed the Revell Tornado :thumbsup:

Ha, I am asking myself why DID I do it with he flaps down. What a pain in the butt that was. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, dashellis said:

Love it great finish, I've not got round to building this kit yet, thats definitely inspiring, looks great

Darren

Well when you get around to starting, this video has a great way of putting the flaps together, I found it very helpful.

2 hours ago, Des said:

Nicely done although the flat white GPS aerial on the spine had replaced the twin yellow UHF aerials by the time that scheme was applied.

yep, I noticed it late in the build and figured it could be our little secret.

Its amazing how these things are overlooked, been staring at reference pics on the net for weeks and didnt notice until the glue had set!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Darwinism said:

Nice work DrumBum. I recently finished the GR4 retirement scheme version and it sure was a challenge, fighting back at every opportunity.  I know, then, how much hard work you’ve put in to get such a great result.

If I could go back in a time machine I would have chosen the GR version. It has a more accurate nose and more opportunity for interesting weapons fit.

Thanks for the kind words folks, I have updated the original post to include the Eduard main wheels.

18 hours ago, DrumBum said:

yep, I noticed it late in the build and figured it could be our little secret.

Its amazing how these things are overlooked, been staring at reference pics on the net for weeks and didnt notice until the glue had set!

That's a stunning build , that minor correction could easily be done as you would only have to repaint the small panel as often happened in service but the yellow doe add some contrast...