Double Japanese build! Ki-44 and Ki-84 -- 1/72

On 9/20/2021 at 11:40 PM, Bob C. said:

I am reluctant to try the decanting of a spray can.  I can imagine the mess i would make!  So, does not Tamiya make a bottle equivalent?

I decant all the time and have had no major issues.  I decant the Mr. Surfacer 1500 that I use for primer on every build.  Here's how I do it, anyway:

BXs0Mgw.jpg

My right hand is awkward because I was posing.  ;)  As far as a bottle equivalent... I don't really know.  I don't use Tamiya acrylics, and I'm not familiar with the Lacquer line that's starting to appear here in the states.  If you want something very similar that's a whole lot easier to use, I recommend AK Interactive's "Extreme metal" Aluminum and Polished aluminum.  I used both on the F-80 below.  Frankly, the difference between the Aluminum and Polished aluminum is very subtle. 

tT5zQz0.jpg

There are more pictures here if you want to get a feel for how it looks.  Why don't I use this instead of the Tamiya, you ask?  Well, the Tamiya is slightly duller and a little more gray. Nitpicking. :)  Plus the Tamiya is cheaper and I can get it in town.  

On 9/20/2021 at 11:40 PM, Bob C. said:

You'll need to obtain a copy of Eduard's PE set 72-255.

Hey, thanks for this!  I have another Hasegawa Tojo in the stash and this will come in handy!  I'm not keen on doing it to this one -- I can see really botching it up just because it's almost done!   I guess I should look at what PE is out there before I do a build.  I'm amazed at the PE I've seen recently!

• Like 4

The Frank has turned out beautiful and I'm loving the finish so far on the Tojo! These are two really neat models representing a fascinating era for me.

Very much looking forward to your Fine Molds Ki-100 build, as I have two in the stash!

Terry

• Thanks 1

Just a quick update since there were  only small things to finish off....

The tires were dullcoated and I drybrushed some dark earth on them.  Then the tires and doors were put on.  So, it's fully on it's pins:

Sx9uDqU.jpg

I put a little brown Tamiya weathering pastel along the wing roots.

NmOJn7b.jpg

I think it's better seen in this photo.  I didn't want it to be too dark because I don't think there would be a whole lot of dirt that would stick onto bare metal.

TStKCc2.jpg

Also note in the above picture, I got the gunsight in.  I had to drill a hole for it since I forgot to do it before assembly like I was supposed to. :doh:  Still haven't painted it yet because I used ABS to glue it in and it hasn't fully set yet.  Also notice I painted the two holes on the cowl, forward of the cockpit, which I assume are vents for the gun exhaust or shell ejection ports.  I need to look that up.

Painted the nav lights.

mI3fHeI.jpg

Just noticed I need to paint the silver on the pitot tube.

So, that's about it until the canopy masks arrive.  Watch this space! :) 

Edited by opus999
  • Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

And.... just like that, it's done!

SCQQ7L1.jpg

5lA0xow.jpg

The masks arrived this weekend and I took the time last night to finish it off.  I love how when I made the masks it took an hour to do 2 panels and with pre-cut masks, The whole job (masking, painting, cleaning up) took less than 15 minutes.  There's a lesson in there, somewhere! :D 

My next build is the much-anticipated Fine Molds Ki-100.  Come have a look!

The RFI for these two will need to wait until the weekend.  I'll post when they're up!

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Hook said:

Lovely, lovely, lovely! 

Thank you!  The Tojo is a neat looking plane and bare metal with red really sets it off.

9 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

And.....just like that, another masterpiece is unveiled! Beautiful work as always :) I'm off to have a look at the Ki-100 - it's bound to make me regret selling my example!

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark!  I'll try not to talk up the Ki-100 too much so you don't feel too bad... ;) 

6 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Excellent pair sir, not a minute wasted either as You've got your Ki-100 build up and going. 

Thank you Dennis!  I was in kind of a holding pattern so as soon as the canopy was done I dove right into the Ki-100.

• Like 2