Luftwaffe Tornado IDS NORM 83 heavily armed with MW-1 Revell 1/48

a bit late in posting this, finished already in december in the great and inspiring Tornado GB

a classic German green green black Tornado (Norm 83) ....

• with the new MW-1 by Aerocraft models    and @Christer A
  • Aires whellbays and nozzles
  • Eduuard ZOOM IP and Brassing Seats, ; POZ pod and wheels
  • Master Pitot
  • Quickboost gun barrels
  • AMK Sidewinders

WIP

UYZN45k.jpg

me getting facinated with the Tornado  ~20 years ago, a Luftwaffe Tornado doing a full display at Airpower airshow in Zeltweg / Austria (heavy analogues gear back then!)

Ey1yvOs.jpg

RWebiDN.jpg

not the easiest build, but not following the instructions definetely helps here, actually maybe is the only chance to close the fuselage... :wall:

uQBTymX.jpg

JaboG 33 Büchel in this case, markings from the kit and another Italeri kit....

niejOyE.jpg

the green camo looks different depending on the lighting.... very hard to get right when mising yourself!

uWZfQk0.jpg

the wing mechanismen actually works.... but only on one side :(  one locator hole lost a pin.......  not worth the effort!

zaVuVI3.jpg

hEwfG34.jpg

MzJkQnN.jpg

the MW-1 by the way is massive!

and together with its quickbuild GB friend :)

dxZTrQA.jpg

hope you like it!

cheers, 

Werner

• Like 52

Love it. The pictures are brilliant. They really look like the real thing. I have fond memories of Luftwaffe Tornados. 

Back in the nineties there were airshows at the Irish Air Corps base in Baldonnel. The Luftwaffe always obliged and were invariably spectacular. It happens I was working nearby on the following Monday after an airshow. The Germans overnighted no doubt sampling Irish hospitality. They surfaced around lunchtime and took off. I knew what was going to happen next and I rushed out to see the fun. 

They came back low and fast with full afterburner. Better than any airshow pass. Supposedly it set off every car alarm in the nearby town which was well used to aircraft noise. 

The Luftwaffe are the best. 

• Like 2

That looks very nice indeed.  I haven’t been brave enough to tackle Norm 83 yet.  Still working on splinter camo & considering German Tonkas to be the Marineflieger grey & white.  Is the Revell kit good?  I have done the RAF F3 which is a nice kit.  Not sure if the IDS is related or a completely different kit

• Like 1

Beautiful finish, Werner!

I built the IDS kit OOB a few years back and can attest to the fit of thr fuselage. I can say with confidence that yours turned out a lot better than mine! 

I remember reading through the thread here on the MW-1; it looks fantastic finished. Really completes the look of the model. 

Daryl 

• Thanks 1

That’s great!  I’ve been planning on building a JaboG 33 IDS in Norm 83 for a few years. Got the same Revell kit and some aftermarket bits, but everything that I’ve read says it’s not necessarily a fun build. 

My interest is based on one of my former USAF nav training students, a German guy, having flown with JaboG 33. We still keep in touch and my wife and I visited him and his family for a few days in July 2019. He sent me some photos, inflight on on the ground during his final flight with the GAF. 

Your build is an inspiration for me to get moving on my own. I just have to finish 4 or 5 other kits first. 😉

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bar side said:

That looks very nice indeed.  I haven’t been brave enough to tackle Norm 83 yet.  Still working on splinter camo & considering German Tonkas to be the Marineflieger grey & white.  Is the Revell kit good?  I have done the RAF F3 which is a nice kit.  Not sure if the IDS is related or a completely different kit

thanks!

the Revell kit is without doubt the best in 1/48. that does of course not mean it is anything close to perfect :D

I recommend visiting the various GB threads on this, really enlighting in respect to build sequence! you can hardly do it wrong as long as you do not follow the kit instuctions :devil: !

21 hours ago, daryl_five_zero said:

I remember reading through the thread here on the MW-1; it looks fantastic finished. Really completes the look of the model. 

thanks!

yes, it was designed and produced just in time for this GB!

the relevant complete thread here:

• Like 2

On 4/2/2021 at 6:55 AM, Mark V said:

That’s great!  I’ve been planning on building a JaboG 33 IDS in Norm 83 for a few years. Got the same Revell kit and some aftermarket bits, but everything that I’ve read says it’s not necessarily a fun build. 

My interest is based on one of my former USAF nav training students, a German guy, having flown with JaboG 33. We still keep in touch and my wife and I visited him and his family for a few days in July 2019. He sent me some photos, inflight on on the ground during his final flight with the GAF. 

Your build is an inspiration for me to get moving on my own. I just have to finish 4 or 5 other kits first. 😉

Great! Thanks for the personal touch of you story!

German Tornado training moved back to Germany several years ago. The basic training up to T-38 is still in the US though!

Take your time with these extras for your kit, but most are worth some extra hassle :)

Very good Tornado Werner !!

I really like it... And the british one too !!

Great job, I'll give a try to tonkas next year !!

Is this revell kit a good one ?? Did you enjoyed the build ?

I still remember the show from "The Vikings" It was impressive !!

Sincerely.

CC