Don't Laugh....

....... well, go on then, l don't mind because l'm sat here eating a large slice of humble pie!

I build aircraft with all that cockpit detail, super smooth joint lines, intricate paint jobs with lots of masking of canopies and camoflage schemes to say nothing of the thousands of decals that need applying and to be honest l had got bored.

So l thought why not build a Tank, easy-peasy, slap it together, does'nt matter about bad fit or joint lines showing( battle damage), easy freehand paint job ( no masking) and next to no decals, whats not to like!

Well for a start what smarty pants thought individual tank links was a good idea, that stalled the build for awhile, and it is apparent that fit does matter and l also learnt that l have the free hand painting skills of a man with jelly fingers. As for weathering how do you do that stuff?

l feel l will need a whole new workbench full of new products from messers Ammo, mig, etc.

So much respect to all you Armour boys and girls out there, and yes l am going to build some more, one day, after that very nice P51 thats calling to me from the stash.

Respect FB

51083787168_d6fb70db27_b.jpgTiger by

51083226683_eea494188d_b.jpgTiger 1 by

51018053750_b9f55cf12a_b.jpgTiger by

51083785503_6b2a53604b_b.jpgTiger by

• Like 56
  • Thanks 4

No need for humble pie here! I normally build armour but you should see my attempt at a wingy-thing today. There's shedloads of cause for me to tuck into some humble pie.

Like your factory fresh Tiger lots. 👍

Which Tiger is it, by the way?

• Thanks 1

HI Farmerboy,

My respects (and I imagine everyone's), for someone who leaves their comfort zone, and decides to try something new, and therefore complicated, due to lack of experience.
The result is not bad at all for your first tank.
As you mentioned, the process for an AFV is very different from "something with wings ... lol", although a priori it does not seem like it, and although it is true, that IMHO seems simpler, the weathering and the "battle damage "It has a limit so that the model does not become confusing or toy-like ...
Of course the techniques are there, but you need to test and have specific materials so that what we want to build is the best possible.
I would love to do some airplanes again, because I started with the 1/72 FROGs, and from there I went up the scale ... now, they overwhelm me with all the details you mention (decals, panels, etc ...) , I hope to do something worthy later ...
Cheers and TC
Francis.👍

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, echen said:

No need for humble pie here! I normally build armour but you should see my attempt at a wingy-thing today. There's shedloads of cause for me to tuck into some humble pie.

Like your factory fresh Tiger lots. 👍

Which Tiger is it, by the way?

Hi echelon, yes sorry l forgot to mention it’s Tamiya’s 1/35 Tiger 1 late version ( very late, l bought it about 10 years ago, started on the tracks, got frustrated and shelved it!)

• Like 1

I know what you mean about link and length tracks. I've only done two in 1/72, the Revell Tiger II and the Tiger I. The Tiger II was the easier but still very tricky.

echen

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

So much respect to all you Armour boys and girls out there

You're forgiven, especially as you've done a damned good job on that Tiger, but make sure that you're next proper model is a Sherman:). Just one observation; glue the track down onto the road wheels.

John.

• Thanks 1

Well, that turned out quite well Peter!  :clap2:  Nothing to laugh about there, except some good grins for finishing up in style. 😀 The links look great; all that frustration and hard work paid off handsomely.   I agree with the above advice; a bit of CA would pull the tracks down to the road wheels.   But, I'm not complaining because I think you did a great job on your first tank (Oh, don't we all remember our "first"? 😉).   I've only built two and while it's true there are no damned canopies to mask, an armor build does come with it's own particular challenges, as I found out twice so far. 😃   Keep at the armor Peter, you have a knack with it I'd say!  👍

• Thanks 1

On 01/04/2021 at 19:52, Farmerboy said:

So much respect to all you Armour boys and girls out there, and yes l am going to build some more, one day, after that very nice P51 thats calling to me from the stash.

You should absolutely build some more ....that looks fantastic...certainly not laughing ......top job and your jelly fingers did a great job on the camo. :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

That's a fine looking tiger Farmerboy, cool to see you broaden the scope. Since covid I've spend maybe a bit too much time on building AFV's and somewhere it started to get stale for me. But when I see the aircraft or maritime section I'm a bit daunted. It seems like a "one strike out" kind of situation where one mishap will ruin everything. The ability to have at least a second option (heavily weathered) is kind of soothing. But weathering is a skillset that I have a lot to learn in.

Great tiger,

Cheers,

Ernst.

• Thanks 1

You should be well chuffed with that, look at it as another string to your bow. Skills are transferrable!

You can have feet in both camps, I've got an Eduard 1/48 F-6 Mustang, Kitty Hawk 1/48 F-104 & Tamiya 1/35 Achilles on the go at the moment.

Pete

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great! Me too. Also always on aircraft, and thought the same.

Now I did already some of this tanks. You can see it in our forum.

I fell in love, so many tank kits with interior from MiniArt, ReyField and Takom are waiting for me.

Interesting field, I wonder about the details in plastic, never seen in a cockpit before. 

Only MiniBase with the Su-33 is going to achieve the same quality.

Happy modelling

• Thanks 1

Clean and tidy. Looks great, especially that camo. I find it helps to have a go at different subject types every now and again to avoid getting bored - for me it's aircraft, AFVs and figures.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2021 at 20:52, Farmerboy said:

....... well, go on then, l don't mind because l'm sat here eating a large slice of humble pie!

I build aircraft with all that cockpit detail, super smooth joint lines, intricate paint jobs with lots of masking of canopies and camoflage schemes to say nothing of the thousands of decals that need applying and to be honest l had got bored.

So l thought why not build a Tank, easy-peasy, slap it together, does'nt matter about bad fit or joint lines showing( battle damage), easy freehand paint job ( no masking) and next to no decals, whats not to like!

Well for a start what smarty pants thought individual tank links was a good idea, that stalled the build for awhile, and it is apparent that fit does matter and l also learnt that l have the free hand painting skills of a man with jelly fingers. As for weathering how do you do that stuff?

l feel l will need a whole new workbench full of new products from messers Ammo, mig, etc.

Respect FB

51083787168_d6fb70db27_b.jpgTiger by

51083226683_eea494188d_b.jpgTiger 1 by

51018053750_b9f55cf12a_b.jpgTiger by

51083785503_6b2a53604b_b.jpgTiger by

On 01/04/2021 at 21:20, Farmerboy said:

Hi echelon, yes sorry l forgot to mention it’s Tamiya’s 1/35 Tiger 1 late version ( very late, l bought it about 10 years ago, started on the tracks, got frustrated and shelved it!)

Ciao Farmerboy, very nice job I like it a lot.

stay safe Paolo

• Thanks 1

S'alright is that.  Maybe it doesn't look as though it has spent several months on the Russian plains or in the forsts of Europe, but what it does look is good.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think it looks excellent, I’d be over the moon if I could achieve that level of finish.

One minor point for your next AFV build though, although tank interiors were painted white or ivory that rarely (maybe never) applied to the hatches. The reason that when open, a white hatch would make the tank much easier to spot by enemy aircraft.

Cheers,

Nigel

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, nheather said:

One minor point for your next AFV build though, although tank interiors were painted white or ivory that rarely (maybe never) applied to the hatches. The reason that when open, a white hatch would make the tank much easier to spot by enemy aircraft.

That makes perfect sense, l won’t make the same mistake again, thanks!

• 1 year later...

Well, for a first go at a 'metal box on tracks' as opposed to 'thing with wings' .... good job!  :clap2: 

The camouflage is good, and it doesn't matter that it's not weathered ..... they were all fresh of the production line once!  Now speaking of Shermans, I really need to get cracking on finishing mine ..... oh, and a Hurricane ..... and a Landrover ......  🙄

Keith   😁

• Thanks 1

no giggles from me - looks like a very tidy build; great airbrush work! You don't need a bunch of expensive products to do weathering. I use: black and brown oil paints for washes and stains, pastels ground up and fixed in place with white spirit for light mud/dust, and tile grout for heavier build ups of grot. All dead cheap and easy to use. You just need to go a bit wild compared to what you'd slap on an aircraft!

• Thanks 1