Sukhiu Su-2 "Red 2", partial winter camo, photos?

MeneMene

Hello- I'm working on Zvezda's Su-2. I'm depicting an aircraft that from profiles is stated as Serial # 070105 of the 43rd Bomber Air Regiment in the winter of 41-42.

fhBDwQY.jpg

I've only been able to find color/profiles. The decal instructions that I have for this example show the whitewash to be limited to the rear/fuselage and tail, extending somewhat onto the wing roots. However, several other builds I've seen of the same plane, and some artwork, has showed the whitewash also applied to the rear of the wings.

Sukhoi-Su-2.jpg

Does anyone have guidance on which way I should go, or better yet a photo of the actual aircraft in question?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

16 hours ago, MeneMene said:

Hello- I'm working on Zvezda's Su-2. I'm depicting an aircraft that from profiles is stated as Serial # 070105 of the 43rd Bomber Air Regiment in the winter of 41-42.

I've only been able to find color/profiles. The decal instructions that I have for this example show the whitewash to be limited to the rear/fuselage and tail, extending somewhat onto the wing roots. However, several other builds I've seen of the same plane, and some artwork, has showed the whitewash also applied to the rear of the wings.

Sukhoi-Su-2.jpg

Does anyone have guidance on which way I should go, or better yet a photo of the actual aircraft in question?

Thanks in advance for any assistance

the painting look wrong, with green/dark green uppers... a alook on ava.or.ru does not have a page for a 43 IAP.

You may get some help from @Massimo Tessitori and @DLinevitch maybe be able to help.

It is if green/black as you painted, not as is shown on box art :)

Any problems with kit? I am very close to do it also...

Regards

J-W

15 hours ago, JWM said:

It is if green/black as you painted, not as is shown on box art :)

Any problems with kit? I am very close to do it also...

Regards

J-W

Main issue was some rough/grainy texture of the plastic in certain areas. Easily fixable with some sanding but still a bit annoying. I also had the same thing on the Zvezda Pe-2. The kit lacks some major detail around the lower bomb-aiming windows; there should be some internal structure/ribbing visible through them, I think they were integrated into the flaps. Wasn't aware of that at the time (sources for this aircraft are difficult to obtain in English), so my representation of that area is a bit crude and simplistic. Other than that, the kit was pretty straightforward. I did put in a lot of the work and time into some resin corrections (Vector wheel well + engine/cowling) which made the kit considerably more difficult, but OOB I don't anticipate you having many problems).

• Thanks 1

On 02/04/2021 at 12:54, Troy Smith said:

the painting look wrong, with green/dark green uppers... a alook on ava.or.ru does not have a page for a 43 IAP.

You may get some help from @Massimo Tessitori and @DLinevitch maybe be able to help.

Thank you for calling :)

In my collection, the materials are mostly of a technical nature, i.e I have practically no pictures from the regiments, most from factory tests and the Air Force Research Institute.

Su-2 in standard camouflage looks like this. 

I must warn about these photos, as well as many others. The contours that can be seen along the boundaries of color separation are nothing more than the imposition of one paint on another, nothing more, this overlay is often mistakenly considered as the third color. In poorly readable photos, this overlay is sometimes very noticeable and misleads researchers.

aa007.jpgaa008.jpg

Here is a photos of combatant su-2 from the site ava.org.ru

su-2-2-210-bbap.jpg su-2-3ae-1941-max.jpgsu-2-m-88b-max.jpg su2-nov-1941.jpg

These photos have accumulated from different places on the Internet for many years

1432911979-047-sp-bessarabia-june-1941-a Su2-32.jpg Su2-34.jpg Su2-35.jpg

Su2-36.jpg Su2-40.jpg 

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Thanks 3