Hawker Hurricane Mk.Ia, Romanian Royal Air Force - summer 1941, ArmaHobby, 1/72

Hello

A couple of photos with one of my my latest kit. Arma Hobby 1/72nd Hawker Hurricane Mk.Ia - Eastern Front limited edition. Almost OOB. Painted old roundels under the decal crosses (as on the real machines) and painted tactical numbers. Vallejo Model Air paints.

Comments are welcome

51088174647_28d3f41f33_k.jpg210 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088895995_6c0d30e274_k.jpg209 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088174672_53bded0b35_k.jpg208 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088629623_8b20971265_k.jpg207 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088157629_40817b5680_k.jpg206 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088896100_604cc4f58c_k.jpg205 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088174732_da7603da0e_k.jpg204 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088174747_83a58894bf_k.jpg203 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088084566_d58c7f6cba_k.jpg202 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

51088084606_a809cee24b_k.jpg201 by Iulian Macovei, on Flickr

• Like 59

Another striking beauty in your collection. Very colourful but tored too. I like very much romanian planes, I hope you will show us soon my favourite type - beauty IAR-80! Have you plans building Łoś and Karaś?

Best regards,

Michał

PS. Give my best to romanian Carpatians. I love them and miss...

PS. Maybe some remarks of expert about my attempt Emil's depicting?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235091152-tamiya-148-bf-109-e-7-colourful-nella-and-donald-duck/&tab=comments#comment-4040053

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, socjo1 said:

Another striking beauty in your collection. Very colourful but tored too. I like very much romanian planes, I hope you will show us soon my favourite type - beauty IAR-80! Have you plans building Łoś and Karaś?

Best regards,

Michał

PS. Give my best to romanian Carpatians. I love them and miss...

PS. Maybe some remarks of expert about my attempt Emil's depicting?

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235091152-tamiya-148-bf-109-e-7-colourful-nella-and-donald-duck/&tab=comments#comment-4040053

Thank you for your nice words,

I intend to build a Karas in 72nd but not the Los (for twins I'm more of a Blenheim guy). As for the IAR-80/ 81, I fancy to build a couple of them in larger scale: 32nd, maybe 48th, do not know when... my next on the workbench is the PZL P.11 - again - but this time in 48th scale, out of the newest ArmaHobby offering. Maybe a parallel build with the smaller P.11b from IBG.

Although not my favorite plane – if you like Hurricane you’re out of love for Spitfire or 109 😊 - your Emil is impressive. Out of my league; the kind of painting/ weathering I can only dream of doing… Congratulations!

You building an Emil in Romanian colors somehow oblige me to do a Hurricane of the 303; I’ll seriously consider this.

Best regards,

Iulian M.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mack said:

Although not my favorite plane – if you like Hurricane you’re out of love for Spitfire or 109 😊 - your Emil is impressive. Out of my league; the kind of painting/ weathering I can only dream of doing… Congratulations!

Thank you very much! Well, let me confess - I love Spitfire and IAR equally, they are both beautifull among my favourite planes. Hurricane - I like. Messer is... just messer 😉 . Anyway,I want do a slight 1/48 Hobby Boss conversion for IAR with Mickey Mouse badge.

You building an Emil in Romanian colors somehow oblige me to do a Hurricane of the 303; I’ll seriously consider this.

Seems good plan! I'll wait. If you want some reference photos you can always write me PM.

Best regards,

Michał.

Edited by socjo1
  • Thanks 1

Beautiful work, stunning for 1/72!  I have 3 Mk.I's and a Mk.II from Arma but have yet to build one, I should really see what they build like!

:goodjob:

Davey.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2021 at 12:34 PM, Fin said:

Great photos of an excellent model!

Is the mirror scratch built or part of some aftermarket?

it is part of a photo set but it wasn't intended as mirror; some sort of a throttle quadrant element that I found in the spares... it was somehow matching the size

Very nice model and always a pleasure to see something flying in the livery of our northern neighbors - Romanian Royal AF machines had very beautiful liveries.  

Looks like a heavily weathered Hurricane and with the roundels showing through, I assume these is (were) second-hand ex-RAF machine(s)? Were they delivered to Romania prior to June 1941?

PS. Mind sharing how you did the chipping? It looks great!

Edited by Ventsislav Gramatski
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Ventsislav Gramatski said:

Very nice model and always a pleasure to see something flying in the livery of our northern neighbors - Romanian Royal AF machines had very beautiful liveries.  

Looks like a heavily weathered Hurricane and with the roundels showing through, I assume these is (were) second-hand ex-RAF machine(s)? Were they delivered to Romania prior to June 1941?

PS. Mind sharing how you did the chipping? It looks great!

Covered roundels are Romanian ones - blue/ yellow/ red - the type of id used before the introduction of the crosses (May 1941)

For chipping I'm using same method since starting to weather my models. The corresponding surfaces (e.g. wings, aft fuselage) of the model were first painted aluminium and left to thoroughly dry before applying the camouflage colors. Once the camouflage dry I'm using a scalpel with a new blade to localy remove the colors; using different blade geometry allows you to create various effects. The method works better if the alu substrate is enamel (not the case here, I've used acrylic overall).