Classic Airframes Westland Whirlwind 1/48

Hello All,

This is going to be my first thread of a build here on this site. Its going to be this kit, its a classic one.

IMG_20210401_170905

I already started  with this kit a little while agoo. I started with te resin cockpit. In addition there are some PE parts too.

Some parts of the resin are very smell,en very brittle.  Some of these parts i had to replace with some evergreen rods in different sizes.

Also the PE had the tendency to fly as soon as it felt the tweezers. 

So the levers were made of evergreen rod also. After all this work, i started the painting. First a black primer, and after that i sprayed it in interiour green.

Now i am gonna let it dry and next time i wil start the wheatering.

Westland Whirlwind

Westland Whirlwind

Westland Whirlwind

Westland Whirlwind

This is where i am now. 

I hope u all like it, and please share your thoughts with me. I know its not going to be an easy build, so i am gonna need your support on this build.\

Greetzzz,

André

• Like 10

I learned a trick for dealing with small photoecth parts from my wife. She does this "diamond" painting craft and uses a special tool that uses wax to pick up and place the parts. I stole one with a thing of the wax from her and use the tool or just a bit of the wax on my tweezers when handling the PE and even small plastic parts. My loss rate has dropped about 85% since I started doing this.

Maybe it has always been common knowledge but was the first I ever heard of it!

• Thanks 2

Great start on this lovely kit, I finished one of these last year as your bottom option.  It does build up to be a lovely replica of this lovely looking machine.  There are a couple of bits CA missed such as the seat armour and the double u/c scissor leg parts on the rear u/c legs that go up into the back end of the bays.  When assembled the cockpit details are fantastic .

Chris

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Tcoat said:

I learned a trick for dealing with small photoecth parts from my wife. She does this "diamond" painting craft and uses a special tool that uses wax to pick up and place the parts. I stole one with a thing of the wax from her and use the tool or just a bit of the wax on my tweezers when handling the PE and even small plastic parts. My loss rate has dropped about 85% since I started doing this.

Maybe it has always been common knowledge but was the first I ever heard of it!

Awsome idea.  My wife does some diamond painting too. So ill rob some wax..  😂😂

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DreeBee said:

Awsome idea.  My wife does some diamond painting too. So ill rob some wax..  😂😂

Works best on tweezers that have the serrated edges between the tips to hold the wax better. Takes some experimentation to get the right amount. I find I rarely even use the tweezers on the really small stuff now and only resort to them if there is no way I can fit the pen in the right position. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Thanks for the tip on the pen. I just ordered one from Amazon for a kingly $6.99 (shipping included) 😁

Ohhhh you got the GOOD one!

• Haha 2

Good day all,

It is  the next day, so now its time to start painting details f the cockpit.

Tedious piece of work.  It has to be done, because its very visible when the kit is done. 

Here si where I am at this time.

IMG_20210402_130959

IMG_20210402_131237

IMG_20210402_131412

IMG_20210402_130211

IMG_20210402_130135

IMG_20210402_130240

IMG_20210402_130224

IMG_20210402_130230

So far it is going fine; Just going to lay these to rest and when all is dried i wil close it up with a glos paint, so i can use a wash. 

Comments are very welcome.

Greetzzzz,

Andre

• Like 8

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

They look very nice, have you tried fitting yet, it was a bit of trial and error but not too bad a fit as I recall.

Chris

I have dry fitted the cockpit before painting, and it seemed like it woud fit oke. Probably after painting i will not fit as good.

Do u have any indication( as u said u build tis kit already) how the fit in the fuselage wil be. And how to put it in the righ spot.

Greetzzz,

André

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DreeBee said:

I have dry fitted the cockpit before painting, and it seemed like it woud fit oke. Probably after painting i will not fit as good.

Do u have any indication( as u said u build tis kit already) how the fit in the fuselage wil be. And how to put it in the righ spot.

Greetzzz,

André

When I got mine Andre, the fuselage halves were already stuck together so if I recall correctly itching I used the starboard side to confirm where yhe IP should sit and glued that in first then the rest went together easily.  I have checked back on my WIP and I didn't elude to the sequence unfortunately however there are some useful bits on there re the canopy etc just incase of use to you. I have a couple of reference books so if you need any info or photos I can check through and see what I can locate.

You are doing a cracking job so far.

Chris

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Guys, sorry i did not anything yet. The build is a bit on hold until i get some books  in.

As soon as thats in, Ill  keep on building.

Sorry guys, but need q little more reference pictures to build this beautyful plane the way i want to

Greetzzz,

Andre

• Like 2