17 STFS, RAF. AT6-D Commemorative Scheme (1/100) ++ Finished ++

CliffB

Hi all,  I'll be entering this 1/100 scale Ocidental kit.

spacer.png

It's a simple kit, but nicely detailed for the scale.  The cockpit detail is a rare treat :).  The odd looking Portugese markings however, are self-adhesive stickers and so will have to go.

P1120117.JPG

I know little about Harvards, but I've noticed that most of the chat seems to relate to exhaust and canopy styles.  In my case, the box art shows exactly what I've got.

Trawling the internet, I've come across this preserved SAAF example (number 7492), which seems to match perfectly - unless you want to tell me otherwise!

I've got some 1/100 SAAF decals left over from a Tamiya Buccaneer, so I seem to have a plan.

Unfortunately, I've got other stuff to finish first so this one will be a May build.  I'll see you then.

Cheers

• Like 4

• CliffB changed the title to 1/100 scale, South African Harvard
  • CliffB changed the title to 1/100 scale, South African (now Czech) Harvard

Thanks for the welcome @RidgeRunner and @John Masters :thumbsup2:

Unfortunately, I've now changed my mind about the scheme and am going for ex-SAAF 7696, in subsequent Czech ownership and flying as RAF FX352.  The story's here.  I'll need to paint in some additional framework on the canopy side panels, but that's OK.

I have a new project in mind (Do.27), for my SAAF decals :coolio:

Cheers

• Like 3

• CliffB changed the title to 17 STFS, RAF. AT6-D Commemorative Scheme (1/100)

So, I've finally made a start on this one.

First impressions were good, with the fuselage halves and cockpit assembly clicking together nice and positively.

P1120401.JPG

However, now I look, I can see that the seats are sitting too low and possibly too far forward as well :doh:.  It serves me right for trusting the kit!

Once I've dry fitted the canopy, I'll extend the seat backs upwards and also add some of the high-level cockpit structures.  That should improve things.

Cheers

• Like 1

Thanks @Wez

It's looking more like a Texan now and I've managed to add some home-made bits and pieces to the cockpit.  It's probably not accurate, but definitely looks better than before!

P1120404.JPG

Cheers

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, CliffB said:

It's probably not accurate, but definitely looks better than before!

I don't know, it's looking pretty good to me!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I've been ignoring this one for a bit, but am aware that the deadline is not so far away!

So I've now got the canopy on and masked up.

P1120447.JPG

Cheers

• Like 2

3 hours ago, stevehnz said:

It looks good so far from here, I think you're on track for another week gem. :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve.  The framing's rather heavy on the canopy, but otherwise it's quite a neat little kit.

• Like 1

On 6/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, exdraken said:

Great progress!

Thank you!

Meanwhile, for those who like to watch paint dry....

P1120453.JPG

Cheers

And we're finished!

P1120455.JPG

Overall, I'm reasonably happy the result so 'thank you' to @Wez for making this STGB happen :thumbsup2:.

Thanks also to all of you who have supported the build.

Cheers

• Like 3

• CliffB changed the title to 17 STFS, RAF. AT6-D Commemorative Scheme (1/100) ++ Finished ++
3 hours ago, CliffB said:

Overall, I'm reasonably happy the result so 'thank you' to @Wez for making this STGB happen :thumbsup2:.

Thanks also to all of you who have supported the build.

Thank you Cliff for your participation!  A superb result, well done!

• Like 1