U.S.S.Essex air wing April 1945 Part II/my first USN carrier aircraft in 27 years.

3 hours ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Dennis, glad to see you back--really liking this build--you inspired to pull out my F6Fs for my next build!  One question and sorry if I missed the run down--how did you work the weapons bay panel shading on the wings--your dark blue finishes are highly effective!  Looking forward to the Avenger, best, Erwin 

Hello Erwin,

I sprayed my base coat of Gloss sea blue. Then for the fading I add a few drops (3-5 maybe 7). It all depends on how light I want it. Then i just spray the panels a lighter shade of the blue into the specific panels. Less on metal more on fabric. Fabric always seemed to fade faster than metal. 

q8HqWLe.jpg

4DWAQ3I.jpg

The beauty of it is if you overdo it just respray the dark gloss blue. These planes were touched up for corrosion control often. So they get a very patchy appearance. It still happens to this day. Take a look at F-18’s or Harriers on ships after they've been at sea for months. They're 20 shades of grey. 

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 7

Hello everyone … I was finally able to make a start on these tonight. Started with the Curtiss Helldiver. VcBGo1k.jpg

ECJ0nP2.jpg

88qMHs2.jpg

The only gap was minor at the front of the bomb bay, and along the seam between the two crew positions. The rest can be taken care of with some minor filling and sanding.  The bomb bay gap was slim enough I though sheet plastic. However I miss placed my stash of it during the move. I remembered an old school trick and used an index card cut to shape.

diM6dZO.jpg

Once in position it was soaked with C/A. Some minor filler and it’ll be good. 

iXyn7uy.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

PS - Hopefully I can start the Grumman tonight. 

• Like 5

Good morning everyone .. Well the Avenger is moving now. I was able to get the entire interior built up and painted. According to this website. 

https://www.ipmsstockholm.org/magazine/2004/05/stuff_eng_interior_colours_us_part3.htm

The interior colors are bronze green for the cockpit, interior green everywhere else except inside the cowling. And Grumman grey for the cowling. 

2b7kn9I.jpg

Then I did the instruments. 

du2yHcb.jpg

And last but not least the big old hunk of steel out front. 

Tv7rSCO.jpg

I did get a little more on the Helldiver as well, drilled out the exhausts. 

qfr0WCh.jpg

Also did my first wave of sanding on the seams. 
YMvpHha.jpg

2yV7pIE.jpg

• Like 3

Good morning everyone … Well the Avenger is catching up. The fuselage is intact and looking good. ylAcAUx.jpg

dEaPtzz.jpg

EhRvNhJ.jpg

4CWVBFj.jpg

The seams on this are pretty good. Nothing a little sanding, filing, and filling wont handle. Please feel free to ask questions, post comment's or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 5

Hello everybody … wings day today and Im impressed by Hasegawa’s wing build-up. I was thinking while working on this, this is the first Avenger I’ve built in a long time. I think the last one I did was the medium blue plastic 1/48th monogram kit in High-school circa 1988. This one is way better all around. 
KH2uob9.jpg

EaEwXis.jpg

4lGO9J4.jpg

aQPApOf.jpg

Funny thing is I went to test fit the bomb bay doors, and they fit so well I couldn't pull the two apart again. So did the right thing and just glued it in place. dXCjBzU.jpg

Dennis

• Like 6

Good morning everyone … Time to mount the Curtiss Helldiver wings. Now being this is a very old Airfix kit with foldable wings, I knew that would be an issue when I bought the kit. However I formulated a plan and it worked as expected. First step was to build up the outer wings. Then I added a serious spar in each wing so the outer panels wouldn't droop. F60qH2L.jpg

Once the had set I used C/A to set the spars and a combination of tube cement and Tamiya extra thin. I find in situations where there will be a serious amount of flexing the old fashioned tube type glues are still the best. The Tamiya and C/A can be too brittle. 

2zyhWTI.jpg

You will note in the port wing a wee tiny white square. Thats strip plastic cut and sandwiched to replace the original blue tab from the out wing panel. 

Y6Dn7Dd.jpg

I think were good on wing straightness ↕️ what do you think ? Added the stabs also at this time. 

jKL9MCK.jpg

MWRf0X3.jpg

dyMg6zx.jpg

Not quite as good as the Avenger but the bomb bay doors almost a drop in fit but with some minor gaps. Oh and no the spars aren't in the gear bays in case anyone was curious. 

bNlR1fB.jpg

Next up is the gaps and filling sanding stage. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's amazing how sleek both of these monsters appear when viewed from head on, but back to being beasts when viewed from any other angle.

I can't wait to see them both next to your Essex Corsair and Hellcat.

I wonder does anyone make a 1/72 deck crew ? I know I can get a deck base, not so sure about crew and equipment. They would look good together parked on a wooden deck. 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

Good afternoon everyone … My apologies for such a long delay in posts. Unfortunately Ive had a family situation occur at the end of January and its slowed my work down. However I’ve been doing what I can when I can and the last four-five days have opened up. So much so that I have done almost all of the painting on all 11 of my builds. So without much more of my lonely babbling. All markings so far are painted on both builds, first up is Grumman’s B.A.B.aErjOIC.jpg

i0zGfJu.jpg

PqOT3hV.jpg

NM2TFm2.jpg

vLi3o9n.jpg

And now the Curtiss HellDiver. 

9CoM8SK.jpg

KitbPDB.jpg

Seeing as the engine in this Airfix kit is molded in, I decided it would be easier to paint after the main camouflage. This way I didn't need to mask it. eiOhzuC.jpg

nonRfcT.jpg

And finally a family photo of the two together. 

YQohySt.jpg

Dennis

• Like 7

Nice progress on both. The Avenger is massive - I walked around one in a museum in Florida and it was huuuge. I didn’t realise how big the Helldiver was until I saw your picture above. When I built the Airfix kit in the 1960s all I can remember is trying to get the orange stripe to cover up the dark blue plastic and not quite succeeding!

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

Nice progress on both. The Avenger is massive - I walked around one in a museum in Florida and it was huuuge. I didn’t realise how big the Helldiver was until I saw your picture above. When I built the Airfix kit in the 1960s all I can remember is trying to get the orange stripe to cover up the dark blue plastic and not quite succeeding!

Regards,

Adrian

Yeah they're big, I got to sit in one when I volunteered at a Museum in the 90’s. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, VT Red Sox Fan said:

Dennis, just catching up—impressive—thank you for your dark blue weathering tips earlier—thanks for posting this incredible work—best, Erwin

Always happy to help or pass on info, better I write it down than forget it in the deep dark voids of my memory. 

Good morning everyone … Had a little tome tonight so did what few decals I have for these two. First up is the Grumman or Eastern Avenger. To be 100% accurate this should have a little white 309 on each side of the cowling. However since I have nothing in my spares the correct size It’ll have to just be this. r4LEblD.jpg

gSY3Dqs.jpg

uDeHyya.jpg

kDbd6p9.jpg

And now the Curtiss Hell-diver. Now photo shows that this plane had a clean fuselage other than Stars & Bars and main #. Oddly enough both aircraft are in the 300 series just like both fighters were in the 100 series. 

KHOvkXH.jpg

G0MMdrZ.jpg

odkEnQH.jpg

rLxOMAk.jpg

Dennis

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...

Good morning everybody … Into the final stages of this build. Ive added landing gear and canopies to the Avenger. I will need to paint it tomorrow and add some antennas, rockets, and pitot yet. e2Kz4cl.jpg

1UTKfjF.jpg

YatBhX6.jpg

I did a modification and opened up the seat for the gunner. Sadly I forgot to photograph it before I closed everything up. dzfuKKZ.jpg

oEw7tuX.jpg

8KczhHT.jpg

Dennis

• Like 3