U.S.S.Essex air wing April 1945 Part II/my first USN carrier aircraft in 27 years.

26 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

You really should 😉

Is the Tamiya 1/72 kit the best for accuracy? I'd quite like to do an early FAA example with the clipped wingtips, but not sure about which version is which, so some research is needed!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I know Tamiya released one with the 1/48 corsair but Ive not seen anything in this scale. Though a quick look found this. 

http://www.arcair.com/Gal12/11901-12000/gal11948-Tractors-Suvorov/00.shtm

It shows tractors from WW2 through modern and lists some kits ? 

Dennis

Ah ha, I had no idea they used Willy’s Jeeps onboard....of course seems logical - small and can pull heavy....now I know what to do with the one I was about to have spare from this set I picked up on eBay....

The Kubelwagen and Kattenkraftrad are for a diorama I’m doing with a couple of Stukas and Me-110s...the Jeep was going to be left all by itself 🙂

spacer.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Carlosee1974 said:

.the Jeep was going to be left all by itself

Apparently the Willys jeep was considered superior to the Kubelwagon and quite a few captured examples were put to everyday use. So no need to leave it out just find an appropriate captured scheme.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Is the Tamiya 1/72 kit the best for accuracy? I'd quite like to do an early FAA example with the clipped wingtips, but not sure about which version is which, so some research is needed!

Cheers,

Mark

Hello Mark, yes I think so on the accuracy, better than the Revell for sure. I’m not sure if you know the R.N. operated corsairs with three wingtip types. The very early birdcage usually had standard tips and were used for training on type. Full standard and two versions of the clipped, an early (left) and late (center/photo). 

v4PZmnJ.jpg

The slightly less squared off earlier ones to the left and the later full cut off tips. In this scale the lower wingtips come squared off already. Really all you would need to do is remove the rounded edge and file to shape. The upper wing is the type where it butt joints  to the lower wing. That should get you an almost spot on late R.N. Corsair. Now Id say for an early F.A.A. version I would say yes but you would need do one of two things, measure and cut the upper about halfway from the tip to where the lower wing butt joins. Or glue together and cut/sand/file to shape. I hope it helps and I look forward to seeing a corsair from you. 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Carlosee1974 said:

Ah ha, I had no idea they used Willy’s Jeeps onboard....of course seems logical - small and can pull heavy....now I know what to do with the one I was about to have spare from this set I picked up on eBay....

The Kubelwagen and Kattenkraftrad are for a diorama I’m doing with a couple of Stukas and Me-110s...the Jeep was going to be left all by itself 🙂

spacer.png

Early on they used standard jeeps, but later versions were cut in half and given a tricycle arrangement for the confined spaces. Here is an article talking about them. 

https://forums.g503.com/viewtopic.php?t=63321

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Mark, yes I think so on the accuracy, better than the Revell for sure. I’m not sure if you know the R.N. operated corsairs with three wingtip types. The very early birdcage usually had standard tips and were used for training on type. Full standard and two versions of the clipped, an early (left) and late (center/photo). 

v4PZmnJ.jpg

The slightly less squared off earlier ones to the left and the later full cut off tips. In this scale the lower wingtips come squared off already. Really all you would need to do is remove the rounded edge and file to shape. The upper wing is the type where it butt joints  to the lower wing. That should get you an almost spot on late R.N. Corsair. Now Id say for an early F.A.A. version I would say yes but you would need do one of two things, measure and cut the upper about halfway from the tip to where the lower wing butt joins. Or glue together and cut/sand/file to shape. I hope it helps and I look forward to seeing a corsair from you. 

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your post and the extra info! I didn't know the FAA used versions with three different wing tips - the huge wealth of knowledge is what makes BM so great.

As I said before, every day's a school day :) I'd say my best option is a late FAA Corsair!

I've got a few builds to move on, but I'll be adding an F4U to my stash in the near future ;)

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark

• Like 1

Dennis it looks like the Corsairfoxfouruncle Flight demonstration Team is coming along nicely, Pay no attention to me I'm gonna be over here --------> observing and quaffing multitudinous Guinnesses root  beers, cheering you on from the cheep seats.:drink::yahoo:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for your post and the extra info! I didn't know the FAA used versions with three different wing tips - the huge wealth of knowledge is what makes BM so great.

As I said before, every day's a school day :) I'd say my best option is a late FAA Corsair!

I've got a few builds to move on, but I'll be adding an F4U to my stash in the near future ;)

Thanks again and kind regards,

Mark

Externally FAA Corsairs also had two small intakes on each side of the fuselage to vent carbon monoxide from the fuselage and one under the fuselage.  Seat belts and radio fit were different too but it doesn’t really make a difference to your model but look at photos of the aerials as FAA Corsairs seem to have a mix of whip aerials and an aerial mast.  Fundekals have some interesting notes which show some of the details which are well worth a look..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Grey Beema said:

Externally FAA Corsairs also had two small intakes on each side of the fuselage to vent carbon monoxide from the fuselage and one under the fuselage.  Seat belts and radio fit were different too but it doesn’t really make a difference to your model but look at photos of the aerials as FAA Corsairs seem to have a mix of whip aerials and an aerial mast.  Fundekals have some interesting notes which show some of the details which are well worth a look..

Thanks I forgot about the vents. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Grey Beema said:
14 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, GB, I'll look out for those details - amazing what small differences there could be, quite apart from seat harness, radio fit etc which were standardised according to service if course.

Cheers,

Mark

Good morning everyone... Well the painting on both of these is complete. I sprayed the white on the corsair for the geometric markings and also did the Hellcats drop-tank in white. Once that was done I made the masks for the corsair and sprayed the GSB. xuiRwct.jpg
You can see in the next couple of photo’s that I sprayed into the wheel bays. 

70JHHso.jpg

6bJYfo6.jpg

qPqytJV.jpg

For some reason the mask didn't line up on the port vertical so I needed to touch it up. Should be able to blend it when I do the weathering. As you can see I’ve already done some fading on the planes. 

WdIVgz7.jpg

73dsMRT.jpg

o3lK6oB.jpg

AlPahSV.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

9 minutes ago, giemme said:

Smooth paint job, Dennis! :clap: What kind of color have you been using for the dark sea blue, please?

Ciao

Thanks Giemme the paint is Hataka orange line lacquers Gloss sea blue ANA623

https://spruebrothers.com/htkc0001-hataka-hobby-orange-line-lacquer-paint-bottle-17ml-dark-sea-blue-fs15042-ana623/

• Thanks 3

Paint looks great, I like the fading effects you have done too.  Thanks for posting the FAA wingtip images,  I too had no idea of the three different types,  I have a 32nd scale kit for an FAA bird.

Great work. 

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Evening everyone... I was able to get around to the decals today. DO2XUs9.jpg

M3n0Y5q.jpg

8sQLgDc.jpg

Unfortunately the lower star & bar is slightly different. Me and my stupidity had just coated it liberally with Micro-sol and then gripped it while mixro-soling the rest of the decals. Only to see it shred into about 14 pieces when i removed my hand. The replacement is same size but no insignia blue surround. bXoA6OV.jpg

Next up the Hellcat. 9n3zqog.jpg

nNqlG29.jpg

ophs83T.jpg

zQdGaRQ.jpg

Though the picture is a few days old, you csn see that Ive done the Hellcat’s drop tank in white. NLxWH8r.jpg

Dennis

• Like 10

Hello everyone ... Well I was able to get a bit of time to catch up today. I sprayed the satin coat and weathered three planes today, and painted my Cavalier Mustang’s first color. i5Xq25Z.jpg

PeQny7S.jpg

DIHjNFV.jpg

GJBqVz0.jpg

Its hard to see but there is a fuel stain down the side of the plane. 2iIfcuO.jpg

0NBMApx.jpg

And now the Hellcat. oBeKPM7.jpg

iB8SP9D.jpg

FfT7nvC.jpg

TJUJMSZ.jpg

And finally a Grumman family portrait. kHL4OQb.jpg

Dennis

• Like 10

They’ve come along nicely Dennis.  When I built my version of the air group I was lucky enough to be in touch with a radioman in the Avenger Squadron.  He told me the aircraft were meticulously looked after and were very well maintained while on board so I did very little weathering on my models.  I offer that in the hope you may find it useful in your build too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1