U.S.S.Essex air wing April 1945 Part II/my first USN carrier aircraft in 27 years.

Hello everyone ... I wasn't sure I’d get around to one of these this year. But my cousin @corsaircorp just wont stand for that. So I did a review and realized I haven't done a USN corsair since the early 90’s. So thats what Im going to do. Ive decided to use a Kit that was gifted to me by a fellow member. UU3MFzS.jpg
Now of course I could go the obvious route and do a VF-17 bird. Unfortunately I have a personal moratorium on any VF-17 aircraft, so will go with something a bit different. Nothing personal against them but I just don't do them, mostly because everyone else does. My choice will actually be a 1D and yes the kit has the correct canopy in it. Im angling towards a late war GSB with Geometric pattern.

kmbyeCA.jpg
VBF-83

QIS3JoE.jpg
VF-5 ⬆️

uKj1Gvv.jpg

VBF-10 ⬆️ And the last plane I built was a 1C in these markings. ⬇️sMgmAJx.jpg

https://www.worldwarphotos.info/gallery/usa/aircrafts-2-3/f4u-corsair/fg-1d-corsair-41-of-vbf-88-on-board-the-carrier-uss-yorktown-cv-10-july-18-1945/

So This should start tomorrow or the next day ? Please feel free to ask questions, post comments, or add thoughts.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 17

Allelujaaaaahhhhhh !!

One more Corsair !! Congrats Cousin !!

So much years Corsairless ??? How did you survive ??

Great choice, Tamiya kit is fine

Geometric pattern is a good idea !!

So, What's not to love about it  ??

Don't you worry about the Jolly Rogers, I've a special link with this squadron

I've all the types they flew all over the years since 1943...

2 Already done, 3 on the bench....

It is up to you to start it at your best conveniance !! :jump_fire:

Give it a go now !! :doh:

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well Im going to switch this one up, going for a multi build with a Hellcat and hopefully an Avenger and Helldiver eventually. HY3wUGy.jpg
Going to go with VF-83 on board USS Essex. qlblPXa.jpg

I am attempting to track down a photo of a VF-85 Hellcat with the lightning identifier but if I cant might switch the corsair to VBF-83 markings. Construction should begin tonight. 

Dennis

• Like 16

• Corsairfoxfouruncle changed the title to My 1st USN Corsair in 27 years. U.S.S.Essex air wing April 1945

Two great kits that fall together!  Can't wait to see what you do do with these, Dennis.

I covet the Fundekals Corsair sheet.  Their online instructions are a must-read, it's the most useful collection of information for the Corsair modeller I think I've seen in one spot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jackson Duvalier said:

Two great kits that fall together!  Can't wait to see what you do do with these, Dennis.

I covet the Fundekals Corsair sheet.  Their online instructions are a must-read, it's the most useful collection of information for the Corsair modeller I think I've seen in one spot.

Yes the corsairs are quite nice, thus will be my first Eduard Hellcat. Though Ive just been gifted 5 of them so not my last. It is a great sheet, is there a specific plane you're after on it ? Im probably never going to use all of them. 

Ive started by the way gotten three builds started tonight, these two and a T-6 Texan in the single type build. u6IVJt8.jpg

47Pvn2w.jpg

Unfortunately Ive closed up the fuselage before snapping a photo of the Hellcats cockpit. N1bCCfn.jpg

omMgLvc.jpg

I will still need to add the belts to both builds tomorrow or the next day. 

58lMTB2.jpg

T9UnvxC.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Carlosee1974 said:

Hi...I don’t suppose you’ve come across a good 1/72 scale WWII Flightdeck tractor? I’ve got a SBD and a Corsair that need some help being towed around the diorama 😀

I know Tamiya released one with the 1/48 corsair but Ive not seen anything in this scale. Though a quick look found this. 

http://www.arcair.com/Gal12/11901-12000/gal11948-Tractors-Suvorov/00.shtm

It shows tractors from WW2 through modern and lists some kits ? 

Dennis

• Like 1

So happy to be following along with this one Dennis, I'm really interested in late war Pacific subjects as they don't see that many builds considering how much action was seen compared to the early war. I guess it's a little like RAF 2nd TAF subjects, very numerous and pivotal to the war effort, but not nearly as famous as BoB subjects.

• Like 2

Hello @Cookenbacher, @giemme, @bigbadbadge and everyone else following. I was able to get the rough sanding finished and the wings on both builds. Here is the family photo next to the MartletyoFpn1W.jpg

f1tCN1Q.jpg

mL6MZgy.jpg

y4FCzl0.jpg

FMpTrqE.jpg

gqNSXj3.jpg

XY42blo.jpg

Maybe some more work tonight. Possibly the tail planes, engines, and cowlings but I am ignoring my StuG.III build lately. And need to do the stowage and such. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 13

Following along.  

I too built Essex’s AG-83 though mine was in 48th scale.  I used Tamiya for the Corsair, Hasegawa for the Hellcat, ACC Min for the Avenger and Revel for the Helldiver.  Very much enjoyed that project.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Good morning everyone... I was able to get the bulk of the work done on these so next up will be the “Fun stages”, sanding filling, & repeat. I built up the Eduard engine, nicely detailed but for what you're going to see a bit overdone. I did add the photo-etch wiring harness. sLfGXuD.jpg

daD6PeL.jpg
The Corsair was up next. MvPpL7X.jpg

qiJGkqY.jpg

UxjYmx0.jpg

tPOWjhv.jpg

And a photo of both in formation. 

uyfaR3n.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 17

Looking good @Corsairfoxfouruncle. Those geometric designs look good on the navy planes, too bad they moved away from them. 

I bet both are nice kits but I've been checking out the Eduard Hellcat, might be something I do in the future. That engine looks superb btw.

• Thanks 1

Wow, fast progress on these builds - not sure how I missed them. They're looking really great!

'scuse my ignorance, but I'm intrigued by the two-tone interior:

On 03/04/2021 at 09:31, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

47Pvn2w.jpg

presumably cockpit area was painted an "interior green" while the remainder was YZC?

Looking forward to the next instalment!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very good idea Cousin !!

The sand martlet look very good too !!

I love these multi builds resulting in a whole CVG !!

The way I'm working too, so far I just finished one.... 

You are damn faster than me... Page one and 2 kits almost built... Wow !!

Amazing.

CC

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Wow, fast progress on these builds - not sure how I missed them. They're looking really great!

presumably cockpit area was painted an "interior green" while the remainder was YZC?

Cheers,

Mark

Not only...

One can also add salmon pink in some Corsairs...

Depending on which anti corrosion primer was at hand at the time being...

Early war, there was still a load of aircrafts with doped aluminium interiors...

The best is to follow pics when available...

Sincerely.

CC

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, corsaircorp said:

Not only...

One can also add salmon pink in some Corsairs...

Depending on which anti corrosion primer was at hand at the time being...

Early war, there was still a load of aircrafts with doped aluminium interiors...

The best is to follow pics when available...

Sincerely.

CC

Thanks, CC! Every day's a school day :) I've not built a Corsair since I was about nine or ten (forty+ years ago 😱) - it was the Matchbox version. I quite fancy adding one to my to-do list: lots to learn!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

2 hours ago, giemme said:

Great job on the engines, Dennis! :clap:  Also, you are going pretty fast with these! :frantic:  :clap: 

Ciao

Thank you

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Crikey they have built up quickly,  engines do look good too.

Chris

Thank you, it helps that Ive built so many of these. 

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Cheers,

Mark

Thank you, Yes on the interior colors, as my cousin @corsaircorp has added. You could also get Salmon or others. Now the landing gear bays were painted in primer but USN Regs. required bays to be the camouflage color so they will get a coat of gloss sea blue over them. I do the two colors for weathering purposes. And will chip and lightly go over them with a wash. 

1 hour ago, corsaircorp said:

Very good idea Cousin !!

The sand martlet look very good too !!

I love these multi builds resulting in a whole CVG !!

The way I'm working too, so far I just finished one.... 

You are damn faster than me... Page one and 2 kits almost built... Wow !!

Amazing.

CC

Thank you Cousin for the compliments and assist on the explanation. It helps that I've built the Tamiya corsair so many times now. Not to mention the 30+ Ive built since the 80’s, Arii, Hasegawa, Monogram, Tamiya, and Revell. 

47 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Coming along nicely Dennis - great work!

Cheers,

Roger

Thank you Roger

14 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, CC! Every day's a school day :) I've not built a Corsair since I was about nine or ten (forty+ years ago 😱) - it was the Matchbox version. I quite fancy adding one to my to-do list: lots to learn!

Cheers,

Mark

You really should 😉

• Like 5