1:72 Sword Hawker Siddeley Harrier T.4 "VAAC"

That's absolutely stunning....one of the best Harrier models I've seen. I love this scheme, managed to see this aircraft at Cosford before it was transferred. What a colour scheme, one of the best of the Raspberry Ripples. You've modelled a fine tribute there. 👍👍

• Thanks 1

Hello Navy Bird,

Colorful and constructed/painted to the highest levels of perfection.👍

Regards, Orion.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Mark4700 said:

Excellent stuff. Your mods were definitely worth the trouble especially with the canopy. 

Thanks Mark. Being a short run kit I figured there would be some aftermarket required. When I selected this scheme, I really hadn't looked closely to see what was required - like the two pods on the bottom of the fuselage. I was lucky that I could use bits of the drop tanks to make a reasonable facsimile.

9 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

A great T.4, very colourful, interesting prototype! I assembled the same Sword kit and know it requires certain time and skill investment, so congrats with a great result!!!

Thanks Dennis. This might be the first Sword kit I've ever built. It seemed a lot like the typical Special Hobby/MPM/AZ short run kits that I've assembled. You are right about what is required to do a good job with these kind of kits, but overall it wasn't too bad. The front coaming was the biggest goof that Sword made. It was wider than the fuselage! Luckily I had some leftover Hasegawa Sea Harrier parts so I could borrow and modify from there.

9 hours ago, giemme said:

And from a Sword kit - that says a lot!

Thanks Giorgio. As I said above, I didn't think it was too bad. I have other Sword kits in the stash - Kittyhawk III, Lightning F.3, F8F Bearcat, J2M5 Raiden, Spitfire Vc, Seafire XV - if those don't give me any more trouble than this Harrier I'll be happy.    :)

8 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

That's absolutely stunning....one of the best Harrier models I've seen. I love this scheme, managed to see this aircraft at Cosford before it was transferred.

Thanks - you're a lucky guy to have seen the real thing. I wonder where (or if) it is now? I know it was sold at one point to Jet Art Aviation, but they listed it for sale this past May and it's now "no longer available."

6 hours ago, Homer said:

A very well built ,colourful model, looks great 👍

Thanks Homer. Hey - are you that Iliad guy? Great poem, I've read all the translations.     :)

Thanks for all the comments. I really appreciate them.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Lovely job Bill,..... yet another stunner mate,.... and I`ve even dug out my part built kit. 

Here is the real thing seen at Yeovilton;

VAAC-Harrier-T4-Yeovilton.jpg

• Like 5

Looks right to me too, you have done a cracking job and the paint scheme looks superb.

I have a Heritage resin and white metal version of this on the shelf of doom, the only occupant now, waiting for a canopy. After looking at yours I may revisit it and remove all the paint and try and sort the canopy issue.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Here is the real thing seen at Yeovilton;

Hey, that looks just like my model!     :)    Thanks Tony!

30 minutes ago, alt-92 said:

And you've put my mind at ease seeing the beautiful blue from that MRP bottle.

Thanks. I used the "airbrush ready" MRP acrylic lacquer. It has a viscosity about the same as water, so you have to build it up slowly. That's OK with me as I like paint that is highly thinned. In a case like this scheme, where you have hard edges between the colours, I find that several coats of highly thinned paint don't leave as much of a ridge when you remove the masking tape as a thicker paint will.

14 minutes ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Looks right to me too, you have done a cracking job and the paint scheme looks superb.

I have a Heritage resin and white metal version of this on the shelf of doom, the only occupant now, waiting for a canopy. After looking at yours I may revisit it and remove all the paint and try and sort the canopy issue.

Thanks. I've never seen any of the Heritage Harrier kits. How are they?

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

How are they?

Middle of the road, they need considerable clean up and a good amount of work to polish up, also plenty of white metal which I have always found to be of poor quality and zero detail in the cockpit and wheel bays.

BUT not as bad as Magna, for instance, of which I have several.....😬

I will finish it one day because I hate to be beaten....

• Like 1