A-4F VA-55 USS Hancock - Nam 1972 - Hasegawa 1/48

basket

Hi all and happy easter !

All fitting problems are solved ( until primer reveals some more :rant:  ),   joints sanded  and polished (and there are quite a few to check in fact) , and above all, I think that the engraving is not deep enough or sharp in some places of the kit . So I re-scribed  it entirely with a tip scriber , then clean it up with a toothbrush and a touch of Tamiya ultra thin cement ( green cap ) with its brush almost dry .

It already makes a big difference ( in live at least ) and it allows me to harmonize the whole engraving with the native beautifully engraved parts of the kit , such as  all the control surfaces .

20120401594717732317154986.jpg

No it's time to tackle the IP cap :

Before painting the bird , I need to have the  windshield installed and to do this, it is necessary to take care of the IP cap .

The real one :

20120401594717732317154987.jpg

HUD replaced by acetate  .

Under the cap black box on the left , the white squares (in fact lights of incidence indicator and others) are cut out of styrene strips.

The indicator lights and the box will remain visible, phew !

20120401594617732317154982.jpg

20120401594617732317154985.jpg

20120401594617732317154983.jpg

20120401594617732317154984.jpg

Thanks again for passing by  .

• Like 10

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Very nice work Remy, your attention to detail is superb. Adding those features under the IP cover is making a surprisingly big difference to how it looks.

Rescribing the lines will also make a difference too.

:thanks:

Hopefully it will ... :happy:

• Like 1

Hi all !

The devil  :devil:  is in the details ... my devil at least :wicked:... and he loves to bother me with all kind of details neglected by Haseg on this kit .

The next one on the list is  : the landing lights .

The thing is ... this particular detail poped up in my insane ( yes insane !!!   :drunk:  ) mind as the wings were already assembled ... to complicate the whole stuff  :angry:  !!! 

My devil is really a twisted one ... he could have told me before !!! :rant:

Well ... I have to cope with it anyway unless I might loose my sleep !!!!

The approach light , sixties/seventies style :

21020812040617732317249743.jpg

Back wall cut out of ultra fine PC.

Bulbs are stretched sprues  (cut with a razor blade) painted white and covered with translucent gunze paint (amber is an 80/20 H91 / X27 mixture).

Gray paint, gloss varnish, black oil juice, matt varnish, and gloss refinish on bulbs.

And all this is poured in Soliq UV resin wich can be flowed in several times if necessary, can be  sanded, and polished impeccably.

One "tiny" problem with this method the profile of the leading edge has 2 planes which cause diffraction.

WIP: the macro pic kills ....

21020801033217732317249753.jpg

The final result in real size and live , it is 100 times better than the Haseg part because it is perfectly transparent and super adjusted !

21020812040617732317249744.jpg

Thanks again for reading.

Again , feel free to comment , ask questions , mess around ....:fool:

Next update soon .

• Like 8

Well that is just showing off Remy!

Most of us (myself included) would just be happy to get the clear part for the landing light in place and not covered in glue, but no, you have to go further and show the rest of us up don't you! Your work really is fantastic, extremely well detailed.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Well that is just showing off Remy!

Most of us (myself included) would just be happy to get the clear part for the landing light in place and not covered in glue, but no, you have to go further and show the rest of us up don't you! Your work really is fantastic, extremely well detailed.

No I'm not at all ! :shrug:

In fact I really have this little devil always telling me " you could do that also " or " that stuff would be nice to have  " ... and I can hardly stop adding details on my models ... to a point that I didn't finish any during the last years ... not kidding !!!

There is an Etendard IVM somewhere here on BM started 5 years ago , that stalled more than a year ago ... and some others on my shelf of doom ...

To be honest , searching documentation for future projects and searching for solutions to scratch build one thing or another is at least 50% of my modelling pleasure .

And when it works , it's cool !

Anyway , this particular Skyhawk will pass the finish line and hopefully , before the deadline , that's my goal ! :winkgrin:

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, basket said:

No I'm not at all ! :shrug:

I know, I was only joking. I should have added a smiley face after my comment to make it clearer.

12 minutes ago, basket said:

To be honest , searching documentation for future projects and searching for solutions to scratch build one thing or another is at least 50% of my modelling pleasure .

I am the same to be honest, I spend far longer (too long probably) searching for information and unusual colour schemes for future projects and that something extra that will make future models stand out from the rest.

15 minutes ago, basket said:

And when it works , it's cool !

It really is, and your modelling skills are extremely good and on show here for us all to see. Please keep up the excellent work and keep sharing the extra details you have found interesting ways to add to your build.

5 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I know, I was only joking. I should have added a smiley face after my comment to make it clearer.

I am the same to be honest, I spend far longer (too long probably) searching for information and unusual colour schemes for future projects and that something extra that will make future models stand out from the rest.

It really is, and your modelling skills are extremely good and on show here for us all to see. Please keep up the excellent work and keep sharing the extra details you have found interesting ways to add to your build.

OOPS !

Sorry mate  :cheers:  , I perfectly understood and should have added the appropriate smiley too . :doh:

I just used your reply to explain the way my modelling and aviation addictions work !!! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, basket said:

OOPS !

Sorry mate  :cheers:  , I perfectly understood and should have added the appropriate smiley too . :doh:

I just used your reply to explain the way my modelling and aviation addictions work !!! :winkgrin:

No need to apologise my friend, no need at all.👍

It seems that our addictions are very similar!😁

• Like 1

Hi Remy,

great work on your Skyhawk!

I fully understand your attention to details. That's what makes everything more interesting.

It will be superb.

Cheers

JR

15 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Remy,

great work on your Skyhawk!

I fully understand your attention to details. That's what makes everything more interesting.

It will be superb.

Cheers

JR

Hi ( again )  Jean .

Thanks for your comments .

I just caught a quick glance at your profile to discover you're building a Heller E IV M .

If you need some documentation you can PM me or have a look at my own one in quater scale .

And you know what ... you won't be the sole guy having fun playing with holes .... 2 Shrike missiles need some drilling job !!! :giggle:

• Like 1

Good evening , morning , afternoon ... whatsoever ... you all !

Today's update : windshield is glued in place , masks as well :

21021609294517732317265861.jpg

Black primer from Prince August ( french brand for Vallejo ) .

21031512375917732317314423.jpg

Cheers !

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Nice smooth coat of primer Remy, will you be doing the marbling technique to build up the paint?

I do think that the Skyhawk looks good in black, almost like a what if from Top Gun if they had used the A_4's instead of the F-5's for the Mig-28's.

Hello .

Thanks , and yes , marbling is scheduled . :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Good evening , morning , afternoon ... whatsoever ... you all ! :bye:

When I think of the almost Prussian rigor that characterizes my approach to our hobby  I find this completely incomprehensible ... how could I have missed such a thing ... Actually ... three things.

First, I forgot an inconsistency in my modifications of the slats : I had to rescribe the junction between the upper surface and the locations of the slats previously represented by those very pretty steps, but non-existent in real life as said before. 

And then there is this forgotten CA bulge  in a previously  checked  area ...

Not to mention a " tiny "   skid of my sanding ... which obliterated part of the engraving ...

21031910333217732317323460.jpg

:think:    BIZARRE .... INCOMPREHENSIBLE ... STRANGE ... WEIRD ....  :surprised:

Let's think about it ... there only one explanation : Kenny Craig the hypnotist !!!!

For those of you who don't know Kenny Craig : check this out : a truly state of the art of British pop culture !!!! :giggle:

And .... still thinking about it .... I have  vague memories of my last viewing of Kenny on youtube ....

21031911223717732317323521.jpg

21031911223717732317323522.jpg

21031911223717732317323523.jpg

21031911223717732317323524.jpg

All is perfectly clear now ... I'm sure you will be convinced by this scientific explanation ....

well ... it's time for me to do some reworking ....

Stay tuned :winkgrin:

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Look into my eyes, you will sort it perfectly!

:giggle:  Not perfectly I'm afraid :chair:,   but done well enough to allow me to sleep peacefully .

Pics tonight .

• Like 1