A-4F VA-55 USS Hancock - Nam 1972 - Hasegawa 1/48

basket

Rescribing, repriming , it's not quite perfect on the port side, but I'm happy with it given the conditions for recovery  ... and the best being the enemy of good ...

In short, a thought for the talented  Amy Winehouse : Back to black !!!

Back to black !

21031902422117732317323692.jpg

And marbling .

21031902535117732317323719.jpg

21031902535117732317323721.jpg

21031902535117732317323720.jpg

That's all for tonight .

Cheers.:bye:

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Looking suitably diseased.  Any reason why you didn’t marble the underside of the tailplanes?

AW

:giggle: Chickenpox at least !!!

Tailplanes underside = Just forgotten ... :chair:

Yeah, the panel lines on the wing around the slats are a problem. I don't believe that the well line on the kit is the position of an actual panel line, but I've spent days of study to find where the actual line(s) are and I'm still not convinced. The drawings I have are confused and inconsistent with other drawings and with the kit lines. While taking pictures of a TA-4J a long time ago I took pictures of this area, but the panel lines are so hard to see on the real aircraft that I still can't tell exactly where they went. I ended up doing what you did - follow the line from the top of the box with the screw holes all the way towards the wingtip in a straight line.

I was going to tell you to remember that this panel line is not the line of demarcation for the red paint, but from looking at the location of the weathering you did you already knew that.

2 hours ago, spejic said:

Yeah, the panel lines on the wing around the slats are a problem. I don't believe that the well line on the kit is the position of an actual panel line, but I've spent days of study to find where the actual line(s) are and I'm still not convinced. The drawings I have are confused and inconsistent with other drawings and with the kit lines. While taking pictures of a TA-4J a long time ago I took pictures of this area, but the panel lines are so hard to see on the real aircraft that I still can't tell exactly where they went. I ended up doing what you did - follow the line from the top of the box with the screw holes all the way towards the wingtip in a straight line.

I was going to tell you to remember that this panel line is not the line of demarcation for the red paint, but from looking at the location of the weathering you did you already knew that.

Hello . You just summed up what I thought and finally did . All this convinced me that the other way to solve the slat panels trick is far better, as I said while discovering the mdelling minion way !!!

Thanks for your comments .:winkgrin:

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

I think that you did a good job on the rescribe Remy, very neat,

The marbling looks very good, should be very effective, especially when you do the underside of the tailplanes too.😁

Thanks ! Not as neat as my target was , but ... " the best etc ... "

And about the tailplanes ... no comment !!! :drunk:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zebra said:

Just catching up with your build Remy - it's looking great - I really love what you've done with the approach lights in particular.

Thanks very much . :bye:

Good morning , afternoon , evening  ... whatsoever ... you all !

So ...  

Lower surface is painted, fifty shades of white :devil: are still dicernible , happy I am ! 

Ditto for the control surfaces. Happy again I am !

Dark brown undercoat for slats and flaps is made too.

The big boo-boo on the lower surface is repaired, the upper surface one  needs to be mitigated as well .

There are 4 traces of the junction between intrados and extrados  to be chewed with cyanotalc: at the level of the root of the slats (again them !!!! ) on both sides and on the wing and tail tips, as well as part of the trailing edges (red arrows).

That's for the annoying things , on the other hand, the positive is the richness of the white that I tried to let appear even on the less lighted photos.

A pic is worth 1000 words :

21032311312917732317331514.jpg

:thanks: for following this build.

• Like 5

59 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Good work on the white Remy, it can be a very tricky colour to paint but it looks like you have got good coverage and a nice smooth coat too. The marbling has worked very well on the undersides too.

Thx .

Yes , white ( and red ) are tricky colors ... too bad when you want a high viz USN aircraft :winkgrin: , I tried once gunze glossy white ... it was terrible ....

Generaly speaking I'm more at ease with matt colors . So I painted the white with Prince August  Air matt white thinned at roughly 30% , to achieve very thin layers of paint ( between 5 to 8 depending on the effect and opacity wanted ).

• Like 1

On 4/11/2021 at 6:46 PM, modelling minion said:

I am the same, I cannot get on with their gloss paints at all but their matt range is my favourite.

Your results with the white show that you have git the hang of it.

Thanks .

I'm really pleased with my white , and generally speaking with the painting of my scooter ... until now ! ;)

• Like 2

Hi Remy,

great job to date, bar for the sick look of the pre shading!!! I have just lost my appetite. If you take it to a COVID vaccination center, they will have a jab ready for your A-4!

What you say about your paint work having been fine UNTIL NOW (!!!) sounds rather ominous. Tell me I am paranoid.

Keep having fun!

JR

Edited by jean
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 4/15/2021 at 7:17 PM, jean said:

Hi Remy,

great job to date, bar for the sick look of the pre shading!!! I have just lost my appetite. If you take it to a COVID vaccination center, they will have a jab ready for your A-4!

What you say about your paint work having been fine UNTIL NOW (!!!) sounds rather ominous. Tell me I am paranoid.

Keep having fun!

JR

Skyhawk jabbed today , no side effects for the moment ! :giggle:

Next update tomorrow .

• Like 1

Good morning , afternoon , evening  ... whatsoever ... you all ! :bye:

Time for red painting .

As said before , to avoid a pink or too bright red I started with black primer , then brown and finally red .

20210310.jpg

21032512054017732317333440.jpg

In french I would say : " c'est beau de loin , mais c'est loin d'être beau ", which could be translated in " It's nice from far , but it's far from nice " .... when masking was removed I discovered some rather " anoying " pink overspray .... :yikes::rant::chair:

21032510333717732317335043.jpg

I have to partly repaint the white on the intrados and ailerons and to reprime / preshade the extrados ... masking again ... :doh:

Let's be postive : it will be a good training !!!

• Like 5

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

That red has turned out very well Remy, the perfect shade.

That overspray is a pain though, could it not be possible to remove it by some very light sanding?

Yes ... but No...  ( Vicky Pollard seems to be nearby ... in my brain at least !! :giggle: ) , this bloody red is sticked to the model !!! And my layers of paint are rather thin ...

Reworking ... it's still working ... :chair:

• Like 1

I am very pleased to learn that Mr Basket has been released from the asylum where narrow minds had temporarily confined him under the false pretext of inappropriate dress and behaviour in a public place (we will probably have more precise details at a later date).

Welcome back dear friend with this beautiful red  😝

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Yeah but, no but, yeah but, it is still working.

Exactly !!!!   My errors are starting to get a little bit on my nerves , but it's a way to learn and to remember that airbrush painting requires a masking disciplin suffering no exception , unless you're a master , and I'm not !!!  :think:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fabrice Simon said:

I am very pleased to learn that Mr Basket has been released from the asylum where narrow minds had temporarily confined him under the false pretext of inappropriate dress and behaviour in a public place (we will probably have more precise details at a later date).

Welcome back dear friend with this beautiful red  😝

:thanks: my friend , and you know perfectly well what means  inappropriate clothing in the spririt of  narrow minded people ... considerring that you're usually dressed like Mary Poppins from friday 7pm  to sunday 11pm . :giggle:

I would also like to give credit where credit is due and say a few words about your science of colours ,  since  " the  brown under the red " trick  comes from you,  my dear Emily.

For those among the readers of this topic that may not understand the reason for " Emily " , please note that Fabrice turns into Emily from friday 7pm to sunday 11pm ( basically it's connected to Mary Poppins clothing ) , and therefore , as an open minded friend , I call him Emily during the week-ends .... and some bank holidays .

Thanks for passing by , next update tomorrow ... later in fact.

• Haha 2

Good morning , afternoon , evening  ... whatsoever ... you all !:bye:

So ... A-4 was partially reprimed in black , pre-shaded with white and all white areas were repainted and  masked ... again .:frantic:

The gull gray should have been painted yesterday ... but ... I am the victim of a terrible treachery ... from a yellow tool .. ( the color of the traitors ... it's a sign ...:rant: ) .

The traitor ,  a kind of yellow livered coyote , infamous, without faith or law ... is called  UHU Patafix !!! ( a french equivalent to blutak , more or less , but it's yellow , the color of traitors .. it's a sign :rant: ).

Although I have been  offering a roof over this traitor's head  for years ( I bought it when I got hooked back to the hobby " several"  years ago  )  , I was expecting him to help me when time would come , or like Horatio Nelson once said , I expected him to do is duty ! :rambo:

And yesterday should have been it its hour of glory : ensuring a smooth paint demarcation between  the fuselage and the intrados of my A-4 ...

This  damned UHU Patafix ...  revealed it's true nature : dry and hard , as sticky as soap :wall: ... unable to fulfill its mission ...   

In short ...   my paint job was not for today !!!! :rant:

UHU Patafix the traitor deserved 12 bullets in the belly   ... but if humor saves ... ridicule kills as well  ... and  I decided to use UHU Patafix  for a metaphor summarizing its usefulness for my Skyhawk ...

a4_shi10.jpg

As for my A-4 ... it will remain adorned with the finery of a nachtjäger until tomorrow ... He 219 style ...also called UHU !!! 

Thinking about it , my A-4 is not rancorous at all !!! :winkgrin:

a4_nac10.jpg

:thanks: again for following this thread .;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1