Airfix Beaufort

Well, I enjoyed that. Been waiting for these for what seems like ages now and pleased to say I wasn't dissapointed. Typical Airfix plastic which is rather soft but nicely engraved. The construction is very tight with regards to parts tolerance so make sure you clean off any paint from the edges of parts' particularly the engines and  cowlings. Cockpit and fuselage detail is adequate for the scale and the clear parts will show it off nicely. I did invest in the 2 Eduard sets but only really used the seat ( the kit one is very thick and chunky and is easily seen) and some side placards. On my next one I'll try to use the weapons bay set and the instrument panel. The one item I will recommend tho' is the Eduard canopy masking set. It was a godsend and makes all the difference. Oh, and I used some Eduard wheels too.

Only one thing concerns me and its too late to do anything about it now and that is the camouflage pattern. Bear with me on this. I had originally intended to build one of the aircraft from the Xtradecal sheet simply because it was based at Thorney Island. Same squadron just earlier. When I went to apply the decals I noticed the markings were on the wrong colours (ie the green and brown). I used the kit pattern assuming it was standard. However looking at the Xtradecal sheet and the caption of that aircraft (and the kit one) in the Warpaint they say it's the B scheme.

You can tell the difference from photos as there is brown on the front port fuselage and the colours slope in the opposite direction..

Unfortunately I can't find a photo of the kit subject to prove it? Anyway, its too late now I'm not repainting it even if it is wrong! I just hope Airfix have got it right?

So other than that, a most enjoyable build and I look forward to building my next one. Thanks for looking.

51085979422_9cdef4d357_b.jpgB2 

51000961469_ec86c6ffdb_b.jpgB1

51016702685_31c3ea23e1_b.jpgB3 

51082431453_14cc379e3f_b.jpgB4

51016702995_e69b0ab78a_b.jpgB5 

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 68
  • Thanks 2

We won’t tell anyone about the reversed camouflage colours if you don’t.  That notwithstanding that’s a lovely rendition, beautifully said moly presented.

I’ve opted for the 217 Squadron option from the kit for my first Beaufort but having seen yours the urge to build the 22 Squadron option is now stronger.

When you build your next one leave the wingtip navigation and position light covers clear; only the bulbs were coloured.  You can replay cate this by drilling no a shallow depression into the inboard face of the navigation light (leading edge) covers and filling them with appropriately coloured paint.  The position lights (trailing edge) were white (clear bulbs and lenses).

• Like 2

Very nice indeed,..... you`ve done a beautiful job and nice decal option selection too,...... you have set a high bar for us all to follow now! 

Cheers

Tony

That does look fab, a nice and clean build.  I know what you mean about using masks, an absolute must with complex canopies.  Yes, it can be done without, but why...??

Lovely model.

Congratulations, that’s turned about beautifully and you’ve done a fantastic job of what is an excellent new kit. Would you mind telling me what topside colours you used. I’m struggling to find an adequate replacement for the old formula Dark Earth Gunze H72 as the new bottles look more like Taniya’s XF-52 these days.

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Congratulations, that’s turned about beautifully and you’ve done a fantastic job of what is an excellent new kit. Would you mind telling me what topside colours you used. I’m struggling to find an adequate replacement for the old formula Dark Earth Gunze H72 as the new bottles look more like Taniya’s XF-52 these days.

Cheers and very well modelled.. Dave 

Thank you. The green and brown are from AK Real Colors (RC286 & RC287) The sky is normal Tamiya XF21.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, keithjs said:

Thank you. The green and brown are from AK Real Colors (RC286 & RC287) The sky is normal Tamiya XF21.

That’s a brand I’ve not tried out as yet, however do have their FAA set. They look good, what do you thin them with? 
Cheers, Dave 

29 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

lovely , thats a cracking job . :worthy: i have one but am holding out for the 1.48th ICM kit .  :hmmm:

+1

12 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s a brand I’ve not tried out as yet, however do have their FAA set. They look good, what do you thin them with? 
Cheers, Dave 

You're welcome. I thin mine with their own bespoke thinners but Tamiya works OK as does normal alcohol.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Beautifully done--and so quickly!  This is really sharp.  Do you receive a prize for first out of the gate?  

Thank you. No not really, I always get told I build too quickly anyway.. Not always to as high a standard as other builders on here, but I do my best and as its a hobby for my own benefit I'm happy enough. In fact I got so inspired by this one, I've started the second one now. 

Edited by keithjs
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Do you receive a prize for first out of the gate?  

You've beaten @tonyot and his modelling elves, so that must be worth an Easter egg or two... 😄

• Haha 1