Mirage IIIO 1/32, Scratchbuild

8 hours ago, k5054nz said:

You're mad, but I am extremely thankful to you for documenting the descent.

Mad!?  Mad you say!!! 😱

I’m not just mad, I’m Furious! 😡

Wibble Chuff Kilouazi!🤪

• Haha 6

Very ingenious way of building up the wing - reverse lamination!

Just curious - I'm guessing the leading edge, tips and trailing edge are not co-planar. How are you going to get the washout and curved edges in there? If it were just wood I'd guess you could steam a curve into it, but it's got filler on it too, and I don't know how flexible that is.

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just curious - I'm guessing the leading edge, tips and trailing edge are not co-planar. How are you going to get the washout and curved edges in there? If it were just wood I'd guess you could steam a curve into it, but it's got filler on it too, and I don't know how flexible that is.

Hi Adrian,

Good questions, all well asked!

The short answer is that I’m kinda ‘winging it’ (geddit? ‘Winging It!!!’ 😜 God I’m funny sometimes) and don’t really know how I’m going to deal with some of the more complex ‘non-co-planar’ shapes.

I know how to deal with the Anhedral on the wing - probably just doing something like I finally did with the Avro 504 dihedral - after three failed attempts. The washout of the wing (the progressive twisting of the wing so that the angle of incidence is lower at the tips that the root) is likely to prove much more challenging (I.e. I don’t really know how I will do it).

I doubt that steaming is an option as I think it would weaken and perhaps destroy the MDF. MDF swells and delaminates over time if moist so even if steaming appeared to work in the short-term the wings might be damaged long-term. I’m also fairly sure that the filler I’m using will not respond well to steam. I will experiment with this though just to make sure.

I think the final outcome will have something to do with a series of fine cuts in the MDF allowing small segments to be reset at different angles and possibly some new specially carved inserts in and around the wingtips. 

Happy to discuss & hear any suggestions as this is not something I have a ready-made answer for. 

Steve

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

fine cuts in the MDF allowing small segments to be reset at different angles

Sounds like a plan to me!

As for steaming, I was thinking back to making balsa wingtips from my stick-and-tissue days. The state of my kitchen cabinets should have reminded me that water and composites don’t really mix!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 01/06/2021 at 12:30, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, from a Rowan Atkinson sketch? Regards, Jeff.

I now have visions of Steve beavering away in his workshop with a pair of pants on his head and a pencil up each nostril. I am also concerned that said pants might be @general melchett,s battle y-fronts, one not so careful owner.

Worried of Mars 👽

• Haha 8
  • Sad 1

Gidday, I'm REALLY trying to put the idea of General Melchett's pants out of my mind. 🤮

Actually, the Rowan Atkinson skit I was referring to was "Headmaster kills student". If you have a warped and twisted sense of humour (like me) it's very funny. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Actually, the Rowan Atkinson skit I was referring to was "Headmaster kills student". If you have a warped and twisted sense of humour (like me) it's very funny. Regards, Jeff.

Well, it’s funny when I do it... but Rowan’s a bit of a hack. 😕

• Haha 4

Strewth, I missed this one, old Bandsaw's off again. It was only Martian banding my battalion thunderpants around with seemingly gay abandon, that it came to my notice and I'm jolly glad he did, wonderful project...proper modelling (if it goes well) awful idea if it doesn't...Those Japanese chaps seem to have the hang of it, now it's over to you Steve. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

9 minutes ago, general melchett said:

wonderful project...proper modelling (if it goes well) awful idea if it doesn't...

Thank You Sir 

I needed that extra bit of pressure! 😬 

• Haha 4

23 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Thank You Sir 

I needed that extra bit of pressure! 😬 

I think Baldrick said something very similar!

Ian

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

Nice work on the wings Steve. Personally I’d use the mdf wings to vac form a set of plastic ( think synthetic wood if you must) wings then bend in the washout.

Not a bad idea. 🤔

I would need to build a vac-form rig and would have to use a bbq for heating because SWMBO would- perhaps understandably - not be keen on me ‘melting’ plastic in her oven. 

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Not a bad idea. 🤔

I would need to build a vac-form rig and would have to use a bbq for heating because SWMBO would- perhaps understandably - not be keen on me ‘melting’ plastic in her oven. 

Why not? I get away with it. Admittedly though, Mrs Martian seems keen for me to buy a small vacform machine: can't think why.

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Building a vacuum box is fairly simple and all you need is a vacuum cleaner and a grill.

I must admit SWMBO doesn’t like me using the household  appliances for this and as a result I have a small toaster oven and an old vacuum I inherited from my father in law dedicated to the job.

• Like 5

because SWMBO would- perhaps understandably - not be keen on me ‘melting’ plastic in her oven. 

I must admit SWMBO doesn’t like me using the household  appliances. 

I would slap a note on her resume simply saying  'recommended for further training'.....then stand well clear.

I have to also confess, the Memsahib doesn't like me going anywhere near household appliances, domestic pets or sharp knives, just can't work 'em out sometimes/ever.

• Haha 6

Enough said about sharp things. I managed to land myself in A&E three weeks ago due to a mishap with a very sharp blade a piece of lime wood and both my index fingers :( 

Its a wonder I’m being let out of my bedroom let alone into the kitchen or the use of my Sabatier chefs knife ( this one is so sharp, I’m vaguely scared of it, however it’s also a joy to cook with for the same reason, but I still count my fingers after each use :) )

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

above I've been taught and believe that a sharp knife is safer than a blunt one.

Yes, at least the wounds were clean :) but they still gave me a tetanus shot.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

On 05/06/2021 at 02:04, Marklo said:

due to a mishap with a very sharp blade a piece of lime wood and both my index fingers :( 

Both of your index fingers at once!?!?

How is that even possible? 🤔

On 05/06/2021 at 02:04, Marklo said:

Its a wonder I’m being let out of my bedroom let alone into the kitchen or the use of my Sabatier chefs knife ( this one is so sharp, I’m vaguely scared of it, however it’s also a joy to cook with

Although I’m no expert, my understanding is  that one cooks with a stove or an oven, the knife should generally by used for cutting. Perhaps you burned both index fingers? 🔥

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Although I’m no expert, my understanding is  that one cooks with a stove or an oven,

Or a blowtorch, as depicted in "The Real Man's Cookbook".

1 hour ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

How is that even possible?

Perhaps he held something in both hands, and the knife in his mouth (presumably by the handle). 

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

This also flummoxed (great word) me too...please elucidate or if that's not possible, tell us how you did it?

Perhaps he held something in both hands, and the knife in his mouth (presumably by the handle). 

Jeff might be on to something there...strange way to prepare your supper, but each to his own.

Although I’m no expert, my understanding is  that one cooks with a stove or an oven,

I use a wife...safer for all concerned.......(light blue touch paper and retire)

• Haha 7

3 hours ago, general melchett said:

I use a wife...safer for all concerned.......(light blue touch paper and retire)

I was thinking it might be a bad idea to let Lady Melchett see that post. In fact, if I were in your position, I would rather face a heavy machine gun toting Hun, dressed in his battle lederhosen (soiled), on a day when he's come home to find his wife has run off with all the beer and knockwurst.

Concerned of Mars 👽

• Haha 8