Mirage IIIO 1/32, Scratchbuild

14 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Unfortunately due to some lax measurements I made more than a year ago, there were three vast gaps left on the underside.

Gidday Steve, don't we all get measurements wrong sometimes. I have a morbid fear (read 'terror attack') when I start to cut a hull in half, that maybe I've measured wrong. Your repair job is very good. Smooth filling and sanding is not my forte.

Good luck with the cockpit.

14 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Maybe not inundated because my modelling time is still rudely interrupted by ‘life’ and ‘work’ and other such fripperies.

Yeah, work is the bane of the modeling man. Oh well  .   .   .

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Marvelous, simply marvelous. 

Litho plate is pretty tough stuff. I am not sure what type aluminium it is made from but it is pretty hard. Any particular reason litho plate over something like heavy weight aluminum foil food trays?

This is a link to an interesting poster on Youtube https://www.youtube.com/c/ANKCreative/videos

Scratch builds a wide variety of subjects from repurposed PVC pipe and he makes some of his own tools too.  Inspirational and a bit humbling too.

cheers, Graham

Great suggestion on the foil food trays. I’ll give that a whirl as it might be very good on compound curves. 

As for the guy making stuff out of PVC I’ve seen his work before and it is really quite something. It’s the precision of the work, especially the fit of moving parts, that I find really impressive and very, very difficult to match.

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, Biggles87 said:

Good progress, looking forward to the cockpit.

John. 🇺🇦

PS: In my case it’s retirement that’s the bane of the modeller’s life, I spend a lot less time at the bench now than I did when I worked.

That’s a worry! 😆

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Biggles87 said:

Good progress, looking forward to the cockpit.

John. 🇺🇦

PS: In my case it’s retirement that’s the bane of the modeller’s life, I spend a lot less time at the bench now than I did when I worked.

As I've been finding out recently. :( 

The Mirage is looking a bit splendid Steve. Nice to see it on the go again.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 26/11/2022 at 06:42, HOUSTON said:

And your new shed looks the BIZ !!

I hope you have it fully secured and alarmed too.

:wicked:

:door:

Thanks @HOUSTON

My security team has advised no comment on our extensive security arrangements but suffice to say, even if security layers 1 through 8 are breached , any intruder would still need to overcome Mrs Bandsaw and her rolling-pin. 

• Haha 5

Scale Weight

Scale weight is the equivalent weight of the original subject if the original's mass was reduced in proportion to the reduction of dimensions. In the case of a 1/32 scale model (any 1/32 scale model) the mass of the original would need to be reduced to 'the original weight divided by 32 cubed' or which is equivalent to 'the original weight divided by 32768' 

If for some odd reason you want to delve into the logic behind this maths - it's all laid out here...(on page 9 of the Avro 504 thread) 

So - let's work out the 1/32 scale weight of a Mirage 3.  

According to Bill Gunston's 'Encyclopedia of World AirPower' an empty Mirage 3 weighs 7,400kg and one with a typical operational load of fuel and weapons would weigh 10,900kg

That means that the 1/32 scale weight would be:

• Empty;          7,400   /   32768     =   0.226 kg
  • Loaded;     10,900    /     32768    =   0.333 kg

Now let's have a look at the weight (so far) of my Jarrah, Lead, MDF and Lithoplate creation:

Zero The Scales

RQCYmuu.jpg

Put some ancillary bits and pieces in the bowl and sit the airframe on top...

FwyVMz3.jpg

and read the number.

R4PW5x4.jpg

0.645kg! 😱

So my model is almost exactly twice as heavy as it 'should be' even if it was represented in a typical mission configuration. 

Alas - even with full afterburner - I don't think she will ever leave the ground. ☹️

Bandsaw Steve.

• Like 5
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

So my model is almost exactly twice as heavy as it 'should be' even if it was represented in a typical mission configuration. 

And you've still got to add a pilot, ordnance and fuel (I hope that engine's not a wood burner). 🙂       Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 3

If the full size original were solid it would probably be close to your scale weight. You could always hollow it out if you really want accuracy of course.

Ian

• Like 1

Weight is often taken as a measure of quality, well my watch fanatic friend gave me that impression. By that thinking your model is of the highest possible quality and that gains it even more respect from me! 

Another bonus is that should an intruder get past your security they would be confronted by Mrs Bandsaw wielding a rolling pin in one hand and a 1/32 Mirage in the other. ;)

Richie

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The Ventral Bits

Oh-Er... Sounds a bit rude doesn't it... 'Ventral Bits'...:shocked:

Oh well here goes...

At the end of the last post the Mirage was at this point (please note that the big step between the fuselage and the air intakes has subsequently been sanded away). The airframe is starting to look quite complete except for three areas: 

• The cockpit walls 
  • The control surfaces
  • The ventral area 

ldS2G3Z.jpg

Focusing on the ventral area I cut out a small piece of paulonia wood and carved it into the correct size and shape to fit into the void behind the wing.

vF21cgU.jpg

I then further built up the underside contour using a thin slice of sappelli and then a contoured piece of MDF.  There was no real reason behind the sandwich switching from moderately soft wood (Paulonia) to hard wood (Sappelli) and then back to soft MDF, it was just one of those trial-and-error things, but it seemed to work out OK.

LwHqjgU.jpg

From here it's a familiar story... Sanding, Sanding, Sanding...

yKkbJvz.jpg

Filling, Filling, Filling - followed by more sanding.  

DGATY43.jpg

Next the big ventral fuel tank had to go in place, but as you can see it no longer fitted onto the curved base of the fuselage.

IDY479H.jpg

That's no problem, just grind out a hollow in the base of the tank so that it can nestle into the curve.

a2urvbj.jpg

I also cut some fine 'easing' slots into the fuel tank to help it bend slightly and conform closely with the lower fuselage. Here I'm bashing a small number of brads into place to hold it firmly in place while the blue glue dries.

vHmeaeL.jpg

After wiping away the excess glue and leaving it to set overnight, we have this. A much more convincing Mirage profile I think. 🙂

GfYi49W.jpg

And from beneath we see the full effect.

71U2Cmx.jpg

Next up is the control surfaces. I expect they will be somewhat more challenging.

Best Regards and Seasons Greetings to all. 🥳

Bandsaw Steve.

• Like 20

12 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Next the big ventral fuel tank had to go in place

Gidday Steve, I didn't know it was a fuel tank. This has been quite educational. And I see you have such a delicate touch with the model - using a hammer! 😲 Oh well, what ever it takes. Another modeler here on Britmodeller used a chain saw! 😖

15 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

A much more convincing Mirage profile I think.

I have to agree, she certainly looks the part. But I'm hoping the pilot is a non-smoker. Trying to light a ciggy in that open cockpit at mach 2 would be quite a challenge. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

27 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Steve, I didn't know it was a fuel tank. This has been quite educational. 

Hi Jeff,

I believe that on the earliest Mirage III marks this fairing housed a solid-fuel rocket to assist the jet in climbing to extreme altitude at extreme speed,  but as the design matured into a more multi-role aircraft and as more powerful jets were fitted, the rocket was replaced with a fuel  tank. I think the Swiss Air Force kept the rockets till the very end though. 🇨🇭

• Like 2

Really impressive, this is such an involved build. It's really looking the part. 

I've often been tempted to take a hammer to my projects but in a construction kind of way! 

Richie

• Like 1

Well, it was only a very small hammer. 😀

Yes this is a somewhat involved build, there are a few more challenges in a Mirage than first impressions might suggest. However, I still think it’s generally an easier subject than a WW1 biplane.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

However, I still think it’s generally an easier subject than a WW1 biplane.

I'm not sure it is, the shape is so much more complicated than it looks at first. The wings especially!!!

• Like 1