Mirage IIIO 1/32, Scratchbuild

• 2 weeks later...

'Ello 👋 I've not been in on a Bandsaw build for a while. I'd best buff off a few of my best double-entendres.

I went to Telford at the weekend, there was a special display celebrating 60 years since the Mirage was introduced into service. There was a whole row dedicated to it, with hundreds Mirage's on display. Shame this couldn't have been there.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Matt_ said:

'Ello 👋 I've not been in on a Bandsaw build for a while. I'd best buff off a few of my best double-entendres.

Welcome back @Matt_.

Remember, around here we prefer our humour crude, obvious and childish. These are now your KPI’s. 

We are confident you can meet or exceed the required targets.🤔

There might be an update on this project later today. 

• Haha 2

Hi Steve, I have a bit of catching up to do after being out of commission for a while. This has made a dramatic leap forward in my absence. The litho skinning looks great, something I'd love to have a crack at one day. It's gone from looking Miragey to very much Mirage. Brilliant work mate!

Richie

• Thanks 1

Remake / Remodel

The first track on the first ever Roxy Music album 'Roxy Music' was 'Re-make / Re-model'. The first two lines of this standout art rock masterpiece were;

‘I tried but I could not find a way

Looking back all I did was look away’

At the time this was considered open to interpretation - enigmatic even - but now it is quite clear that the young Mr Ferry was urging anyone scratch-building models not to take short-cuts.

In the previous substantive post I tried but I could not find a way to ignore the fact that I had been lazy and had not fully rounded off the fuselage.  I tried to ignore the shoddy result  but looking back I all did was look away...

So here's the obvious solution - Remake / Remodel...

The good news is, it turns out removing lithoplate is just as easy as putting it on. Just slip a razor-blade under the aluminum and slice / wedge it off.  This is another advantage of using hardwood as it will hold its shape through abuse of this nature.

o5wkZxB.jpg

Sand off all the dried up cyanoacrylate muck.

lDRQPn1.jpg

This time I'm going to use this very, very fine-bladed razor saw to permanently scribe on the section line at the point that I'm working.  I only bought this saw a few months ago and have to say it's excellent.  Having this 'datum line' permanently etched into the job is very helpful as it allows us to ensure we are always applying the template to the correct place and it also allows us see at a glance the contour that has been carved. 

boE0Y51.jpg

Not much more to add really. Just carry on and finish the job. Do it properly the first time and you won't have to do it again. Note all the rolled up slithers of wood where the chisel has peeled off thin slices.

i2UBOA9.jpg

Yep, that stands up to scrutiny a lot better.

VjWQaAT.jpg

As shown below the spine was also far too square. I had always intended to finish this before final attachment, I'm not quite gash enough to leave this this poorly shaped.  Anyway as I was in a carving mood I pressed on and rounded this one off correctly also.

Za5fq33.jpg

All of which resulted in this effect. I’m  still to reinstate the lithoplate on the fuselage.

jEyNiYt.jpg

Here’s another view.

N8alov7.jpg

Which may not seem like much progress to you all, but I have a pretty good excuse why not much work has been going on.  The Mirage is not the only thing in my life that that has been ungoing a Re-Make / Re-Model!

Two weeks ago this is what my little shed / factory looked like. This is where almost all of my modelling and certainly all of the woodwork and carving and so forth happens. 

CJgOjUK.jpg

Unfortunately this little shed was right at the end of its useful life. The bottom of each wall was rusting out and whenever it rained I had to put buckets out to stop water dripping in through holes in the roof.  if the rain was really heavy, water would flood in under the door and threaten mayhem.  So...

Two weeks ago we started a major project at Bandsaw Manor and here's where we are up to...

• Old shed demolished
  • Old 'foundations' removed
  • New concrete slab laid and screeded
  • New shed frame erected. 

Vkff8UV.jpg

Now, just like the Mirage, the shed is being 'Remade / Remodelled' and, just like the Mirage, the next step is to clad it with metal! :thumbsup:

So fair warning folks, there probably won't be much work completed on the Mirage before Christmas.  I do have a modelling area in the house though that's good for plastic work, so with a bit of luck I might make some progress on the PZH 2000.

Best Regards,

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 18

Gidday Steve, that shed is going to take an awful lot of lithoplate, although it should look good when it's done. 🙂 Seriously, it looks a rather solid construction, it should last you awhile. That extra work on the Mirage is well worth it, I think. And I've been wondering how the PZH 2000 is getting along. Looking forward to an update on it. Regards, Jeff.

• Thanks 1

Wow Steve, a brand new workshop, fantastic. I do like those steel structures but I can't help but wonder why you didn't allow for more windows!

The open coat aluminium oxide paper you are using is great stuff. I used to use it for my cabinetry up in Johannesburg. Having moved 1200k southeast to the coast, but can't currently find any!

Keep at it.

Colin

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow Steve, a brand new workshop, fantastic. I do like those steel structures but I can't help but wonder why you didn't allow for more windows!

Just one window going into the new shed as windows are a bit expensive, especially since it’s going to be double-glazed (for sound proofing). We are putting in a small air conditioner too, so fewer windows equates to better insulation.

It’s all going to be a bit flash! 🤙

Gidday Steve, it certainly looks flash. But I was wondering, how will you attach the outside cladding to those walls that back onto the fences? 🤔 Or, like Baldrick, do you have a cunning plan? 😉

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

On 11/23/2021 at 1:33 AM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Just one window going into the new shed as windows are a bit expensive, especially since it’s going to be double-glazed (for sound proofing). We are putting in a small air conditioner too, so fewer windows equates to better insulation.

It’s all going to be a bit flash! 🤙

I can live with that, I understand the need for insulation. Enjoy it once you are installed. I only have a 10" table saw now, which has to be stowed against one of the workshop/garage walls when not in use. The rest of my power tool are all handtools.

Colin

• Like 1

Hi @heloman1

just re-reading your comment above about the window. I think you might have misinterpreted the photo.

The small square ‘window frame’ on the right side of the steel frame nearest the camera is for the air-con unit; it’s  not the window. If you look closely at the free standing frame on the left of the picture you will see a larger window    opening near the corner closest to the camera. 

just in case you were worried! 😬

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Steve, was this the ship picked up some of the survivors of the Kormoran? Regards, Jeff.

Yes indeed! 80 years ago today (or maybe yesterday?)

On that basis I was originally going to build her as part of the ‘Emergency’ group build but that GB didn’t get across the line so now I’ve moved to ‘Big and British’ which is a perfect fit. 

Apparently Aquitania visited Fremantle 22 times.

• Like 1

HMAS Sydney was sunk on the 19th, 80 years ago last Friday so the Germans must have been adrift in their lifeboat for a few days. I guess Aquitania would have been a bit more comfortable. I think one boatload of survivors were left in their boat but towed, much to their disgust, but I think the rescuing ship's captain didn't want his ship being taken over by them. I can't recall which ship but I've got the book "Bitter Victory" which is due for a re-read.

I'm looking forward to seeing Aquitania come to life. I intend to take part in that GB myself, but I'm still deciding what to build at present. Maybe a ship too, for something different. 😁 Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Hello @Romeo Alpha Yankee

I regret to say that I have not done anything more on the Mirage beyond what is posted here. 

The shed took muuuuuuccccchhhh longer to finish than anticipated but is now done and I have a far superior working area than before. 

Unfortunately I still have three active modelling projects on the go; the PZH 2000, the SS Xantho and this one.

I’m trying to focus on getting the PZH out of the way as it’s nearly done, but the large number of final details Is sapping my mojo. 

With three major jobs already in hand, I don’t think I’ll be up to starting anything to mark the 75th anniversary of the formation of the USAF in two days time. A shame really because I have a good set of plans for a USAF xyz in 1/xx scale! 🤔

• Like 2