Mirage IIIO 1/32, Scratchbuild

This project just gets better and better, I admire your woodworking skills. Having been a modelmaker it does me good to see there are others out there that carry on the good work. 

Colin

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Marklo said:

Yeah as mdf is essentially sawdust and glue I’d be nervous that it will just collapse on being steamed. Unless you were going to carve a profile of the curvature and steam it on to it do to speak.

Yep. TBH I’m not sure how it would behave but I suspect it might bend OK in the short-term but then delaminate or disintegrate over the next couple of years. MDF definitely does not like any moisture so I think steam could be highly damaging.

There’s also the chemical side of things to be considered. I suspect there are some fairly nasty chemicals in the glue that holds the fibres together so hitting MDF with steam and then breathing the vapour might be inadvisable. 🤔

• Like 2

Gidday, and here's me thinking that model making is a SAFE hobby. Perhaps I should take up another hobby instead, such as cobra snake charming or crocodile wrestling. Or maybe wing walking. On a Mirage. At mach 2. 🤔 

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Perhaps I should take up another hobby instead, such as cobra snake charming or crocodile wrestling.

Steady on Jeff!

You and I know that us hardened, bronzed Aussie 'sons of the ANZACs' types see dangers like that as routine, day-to-day occurrences, 🐍 but comments like this might scare off the 'non-antipodean' readership. 🐊 

Steve

• Haha 5

Gidday Steve, yeah, that's true, I was forgetting myself. Sorry. Maybe I should forget snake charming and crocodile wrestling, stick to model making and increase the life insurance cover by about 300%. Not that it'll do ME any good! 😟 Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Steady on Jeff!

You and I know that us hardened, bronzed Aussie 'sons of the ANZACs' types see dangers like that as routine, day-to-day occurrences, 🐍 but comments like this might scare off the 'non-antipodean' readership. 🐊 

Steve

Nah Makes me regret not moving to Oz when I had a chance in the 90’s even more.  

• Like 2

I've not said anything on this thread for a while - if ever? - but I just wanted to say I check in with every update and am amazed at how this is come together. What I thought was a truly dead art is alive, well, and being accomplished with style. Bravo.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:37 PM, Bandsaw Steve said:

Droppies

It is a strange feature of Australian linguistics that almost any noun that is either multi-syllablic or compound is likely to be reconfigured.  The standard method is to preserve the first syllable and replace the final one with 'ies' 

Thus:

• 'Photograph' becomes 'Photie'
  • 'Picture become 'Pickie',
  • 'Tradesmen' become 'Tradeies' 
  • 'Barbeque' becomes 'Barbie'
  • 'Football' becomes 'Footie' 
  • Australian becomes "Aussie'... and so forth.

Having never actually served in the RAAF I cannot be sure, but I'm willing to bet two shrimps and a dingo that they used 'droppies' (and not 'drop-tanks') on just about every Mirage mission.   

So let's make a couple of 'droppies' shall we?

Bandsaw Steve

Been following with great interest Steve, your Mirage is looking the goods. Being someone who worked on these in the RAAF I need to correct some of your 'terminology'. :D

The tanks were never called 'droppies'. Wow, I would never of even thought of calling them that. The tanks you have fashion would have had a hard time dropping in the first place as they were bolted to the wings. We called them 'Supers' as these 110 litre tanks were the only ones designed for use in supersonic flight.  Larger drop tanks were fitted for ferry flights and were in the 1700 Litre size and hung off larger pylons.

Also when it comes time to fit the flight control surfaces, the small inboard ones are called pitch dampers and would only ever droop a few degrees, if they drooped any more they were unserviceable. The larger out board surfaces are Elevons (elevator/ailerons) and did droop a fair bit when no hydraulics were applied.

Looking forward to the next update :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Underbelly

In 2008 Channel 9 produced a new crime show called 'Underbelly'. It purported to tell the 'true but dramatized' story of various illicit drug production and smuggling operations in Melbourne.  The remarkable thing was was that since many associated court cases were still in progress it was illegal for anyone in Victoria to watch it.  This was a shame for our Melburnian friends as it was really good and was a huge hit across the rest of the country.

Anyway - this post is my version of Underbelly. Victorians are not allowed to watch any further. Its the law. :police:

Here's the scene of the crime. Note the red line outlining a large bulbous underbelly on the lower fuselage of a Mirage III.   We have strong suspicions that  the bulge has been created specifically as a hiding place for methamphetamines and large wads of illegal cash. Despite what everyone says, we are sure it has nothing to do with aerodynamics or engines or systems or nothin'. 🕵️‍♀️   

75EdRFM.jpg

Here's exhibit two. Same thing but again you have to try to see the shape of the fuse and not get distracted by the big fuel tank.    It has to be modelled or the whole case for the prosecution will crumble like a cheap suit.  🧑‍⚖️

75Ob2pC.jpg

I took the shots back to the forensics lab and started to see what I could make of 'em'.

QXuDeAk.jpg

Us undercover operatives like to use easily concealed weapons like razor blades.  Won't draw no attention ya see... 🤫

PWFy4Ia.jpg

Grinding everything down... no fingerprints this way.  Plenty of white powder about though... if you take my meaning...

CQf0NeT.jpg

This grainy photo is from a security camera. Date's intentionally been set wrong to try to throw us feds off the case - but it won't work - we is too sharp for that. I'm wondering who did the tampering though; can't help but think that someone on the force is enjoying some after-work benefits if you take my meaning....💵

nUldX9w.jpg

More grainy photos.   Two part Body-filler being used to try to cover tracks and try to build up a smooth approach to the Underbelly.  Gotta be smooth and seamless when you are working on stuff like this. 🕵️‍♂️

2WmqikZ.jpg

Yeah - Underbelly.  Still too flat see... It's a jungle out there!

AsnQazR.jpg

Went to talk to 'Jimmy the Stick' down East-side.  He's got a good operation going - running Tasmanian Oak Dowel. Any size you like. I went for the 25 mm... 🔫

pBJyJsl.jpg

It stripped down pretty good. I took Mr hammer a little glue and a punch to it. Pretty soon I had a pretty sweet lead.  

Z51UVUP.jpg

Again - gotta cover your tracks with some two-part bog filla.  She looks rough here - but this is a rough part of town...  

dYL5MGE.jpg

In work like this you always gotta check against the plan...

qJnSZ9o.jpg

We were taking some heat from City Hall.  Seemed the Trailing edge fillet was sticking out too much - drawing too much attention to itself - not fitting in see? 

pMmaW0T.jpg

The Bandsaw made short work of that problem.  Down here on the streets folks don't mess with the Bandsaw... 😱

vIG3JAP.jpg

Now we could really cut into the case.  Seemed if we really wanted to fit in we could either cut more rebate from the fuselage or do a bit of this... 

XfWqmPl.jpg

Yeah - trim out some of society's dead wood to achieve...

8kFl6CJ.jpg

A nice seamless fit...  Maybe not a perfect crime; but then there's no such thing. 

McKYutp.jpg

After some routine post-operation policework we've cleaned things up pretty good.

8EUrQ4E.jpg

A nice rounded Underbelly.  

22pKqa4.jpg

I think you've got the idea.   I think we can wrap this up.  The mouthpieces can take this from here. 

Till next time...    Let's be careful out there! :police:

Bandsaw Steve

• Like 12
  • Haha 9

Gidday Steve, it looks like your well along in wrapping up the case. 👍 

BTW, here's another version of 'Underbelly':

Onslw220 hull formed

In an attempt to make the operation look legit it's sometimes referred to as the 'lower hull' or 'underwater hull'. Plenty of room inside for assorted contraband (so I'm told).

But seriously, yours is a very interesting and informative narrative. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Not ‘Sweeney Todd’ the barber @Vanroon !!! 🤨

Sweeney Todd the Flying Squad!!!

You know! ‘The Feds’, ‘The Bill’ ‘The Blue Heelers’ ‘The Filth’ ‘The Fuzz’; you’re an outlaw now you’ll need your wits about you! 🤔

• Haha 1

Bandsaw, if this modeling thing doesn’t work out for you, you just might have a promising career ahead as a writer of noir crime novels:

”Bandsaw Steve and the Case of the Bulging Mirage”

• Haha 4

Always up-to-date eh? 

The bayside city of Geetroit has had quite a deal of free movement possible for most of the last six weeks provided one doesn't go to or from Melbourne. My deprivation have been the quarterly trim and family visits to home.  

Nice whittling by the way.

I must send you a sample of Queensland Rosewood gathered during my road trip to Cairns in April. 

Not scared of wallopers. 

• Haha 1