1/72nd Academy B-34 Lexington/Ventura, 13 Sqn, RAAF, Australia 1943.

Hiya Folks,

My second 1/72nd scale Ventura from the Australia/New Zealand GB,..... this aircraft represents a B-34 Lexington/Ventura Mk.IIa from 13 Sqn RAAF, based in Australia during 1942. Now 13 Sqn is better known for operating the later PV-1 Ventura  but it also operated some of the 20 B-34`s sent from the USAAF to Australia, all equipped with ASV radar with its Yagi antennae. Here is the subject of the model, SF-J,.... which I have made an educated guess at being A59-11,

ventura-b-34-13-sqn-raaf-NEW.jpg

ventura-Psd-765a.jpg

And some other RAAF B-34`s, to help illustrate the radar etc;

ventura-b-34-13-sqn-raaf-2.jpg

A59-4 seen below was being used for trials work;

VENTURA-raaf-147-2.jpg

Ventura-A59-4.jpg

The cockpit interior was scratch built to better represent the early Ventura variants, additional windows for the beam gun positions were cut out and guns added while the other windows were also increased in size, the under wing ASV antenna came from an Academy Catalina, the fuselage side antennae are etched and came from a High Planes Beaufort and the model was brush painted with decals coming from the spares box with codes from Fantasy Prinshop,....., here is the WIP;

And here is the model;

DSCF0267-NEW.jpg

DSCF0266-NEW.jpg

DSCF0264-NEW.jpg

DSCF0254-NEW.jpg

DSCF0257-NEW.jpg

DSCF0253-NEW.jpg

DSCF0258-NEW.jpg

DSCF0259-NEW.jpg

DSCF0265-NEW.jpg

DSCF0271-NEW.jpg

DSCF0262-NEW.jpg

DSCF0264-NEW.jpg

DSCF0256-NEW.jpg

Thanks to Bill (Navy Bird) for the kit and to Chris (bigbadbadge) for sending me an RAF style canopy,.....cheers fella`s,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 44
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Looks fantastic Tony ,  great job and great photos too.  I like that.   

Chris

Thanks Chris,.... I was worrying that nobody liked it or that I had made a cock up somethere LOL

• Like 1

Excellent I always liked the shape of the Ventura. Never knew it was also called the Lexington. I must get my hands on one one day. 

As ever a very nice model. 

Edit: Just noticed your comment that maybe no one liked it. 

As if! There are certain modellers on this site who are 'must see'. You're one. 

Edited by noelh
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, noelh said:

Excellent I always liked the shape of the Ventura. Never knew it was also called the Lexington. I must get my hands on one one day. 

As ever a very nice model. 

Edit: Just noticed your comment that maybe no one liked it. 

As if! There are certain modellers on this site who 'must see'. You're one. 

LOL,.... I wouldn`t say that! Glad you like it and yes, the USAAF named the Ventura Mk.IIa`s which it repossessed from RAF contracts after Pearl Harbour, the B-34 Lexington,.... later re designating it the RB-34 to show that it was to be used for `restricted' use,.... ie training duties and not for combat.  

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, tonyot said:

Thanks Chris,.... I was worrying that nobody liked it or that I had made a cock up somethere LOL

No chance , as Noel said above your models are a must see fella, usually at work I might get a sneaky peak during the day  but have been particularly busy so didn't get the chance to have a quick squiz round .  

Chris

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

No chance , as Noel said above your models are a must see fella, usually at work I might get a sneaky peak during the day  but have been particularly busy so didn't get the chance to have a quick squiz round .  

Chris

Thanks bud. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cngaero said:

Looks like Lockheed is back in full production again. Once again, another fine looking Ventura beautifully made and finished. 

Thanks Chris,.... I thought the same at one point when I had all three part built on my table too! I`ve got two part started 1/48th Ventura`s too! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way how you enhanced the Academy kit with the antennas and the guns. You invested a lot of care and effort in order to create this highly accurate Ventura. As I have said before, I am always impressed by the way how you research and build your projects Tony. 👍

• Like 1

OMG, how'd I miss this. Maybe I was thinking of the WiP rather than the RFI, or maybe I'm feeling a bit DOA lately. ;) :D  'Tis a beauty Tony, I really like that scheme & reckon that the use these were put to was likely more appropriate than that the "Flying Pigs" were put to in Europe.

Steve.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 112 Squadron said:

I like the way how you enhanced the Academy kit with the antennas and the guns. You invested a lot of care and effort in order to create this highly accurate Ventura. As I have said before, I am always impressed by the way how you research and build your projects Tony. 👍

Thanks mate,.... I do enjoy the research side and try to incorporate it into my models where I can. 

13 hours ago, kapam said:

Always keen to see RAAF aircraft builds.

Your Ventura is a work of art.  Well done!

:clap2:

Thnks mate,..... not sure about work of art,..... but glad you like it. 

9 hours ago, stevehnz said:

OMG, how'd I miss this. Maybe I was thinking of the WiP rather than the RFI, or maybe I'm feeling a bit DOA lately. ;) :D  'Tis a beauty Tony, I really like that scheme & reckon that the use these were put to was likely more appropriate than that the "Flying Pigs" were put to in Europe.

Steve.

Cheers Steve,..... the Ventura`s were much better than the Blenheim`s that they replaced in 2 Group,.... and the casualties were nowhere near the same,.... but with aircraft like the Mosquito coming along it was becoming outclassed in heavily defended skies like NW Europe in 1943. 

• Like 1

Tony,

The Ventura was made for this scheme and that wing planform was so  distinctive. Another example of serious research and modeling skills! You never cease to both amaze and educate! Keep 'em coming! (Guessing that the RAF Ventura canopy was either from a Falcon set  or the RAF boxing of the Academy Ventura kit?)

Miike

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Tony,

The Ventura was made for this scheme and that wing planform was so  distinctive. Another example of serious research and modeling skills! You never cease to both amaze and educate! Keep 'em coming! (Guessing that the RAF Ventura canopy was either from a Falcon set  or the RAF boxing of the Academy Ventura kit?)

Miike

Cheers Mike,..... yeah the scheme really suits it doesn`t it. The canopy came from the Mk.II RAF boxing,.... I had one in the spares box from a broken up model,.... and another BM`er kindly offerred to send me one he had spare,..... for the other Ventura I was building,..... the nose glazing with guns also came from the same broken model. ..... lways pays to save some bits from a scrapper if possible mate,

9 hours ago, Pat C said:

Looks great Tony - how is the Academy kit in general to build ? Have long planned an RAF Ventura with the rather rueful looking duck on the side (Hells a Poppin’?).

Pat

Thanks Pat,.... it isn`t too bad to build,..... have a look at the WIP,.... hopefully it will give you an idea. The weak point is the canopy,.... the turret is very basic too and there is a door moulded in the right side of the fuselage which needs to be removed,.... but the basic parts are nice. Later releases like this one are suffering from old moulds I think. ..... some say it was based on the old Frog kit?

A 2 Group Ventura,.... go for it mate,.... it will look brilliant.

9 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nicely done, Tony. How about a photo of all the B-34/Ventura models you've made from these Academy kits? A nice family photo.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill,..... and cheers again for the kits mate,.... you are a star. 

A photo,.... I`ll try,.... but they are scattered around a bit and I`m struggling to get about at the moment. I might just dig out those in the cabinet.   

10 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Nicely done, Tony. How about a photo of all the B-34/Ventura models you've made from these Academy kits? A nice family photo.

Cheers,

Bill

Hiya Bill,.... I could only get to four of them,.... here they are,..... rear L-R,....

-25 Sqn SAAF in Italy,-operating with the Balkan Air Force in Italy, 1944. This model is built more from the box, although it is fitted with a BP 4 gun mid upper turret (from a Special Hobby Baltimore or Revell Hallifax) as the Ventura`s of this unit were fitted with modification kits sent from the UK to South Africa to modify them for the coastal role which included this 4 gun turret, ASV Yagi antenna and additional interior tankage,...... however after flying across Africa to Italy in 1944 the unit was re roled to the light bomber role (which had been `outlawed' over Europe for the type the previous year following disastrous losses flying from the UK  with 2 Group)  so the radar and extra interior tankage was removed. These aircraft also had the distinctive South African style air intakes above the engines and to replicate this I used Milliput. Many early Ventura`s in South Africa had their undersides painted Sky Blue and had A Type roundels applied;

-34 OTU RAF in Canada,- Basically straight from the box but with a scratch built cockpit.

-464 Sqn RAAF 2 Group in the UK- his Ventura Mk.II is from 464 Sqn RAAF, 2 Group of Bomber Command in the UK and I used the interior detail set and resin tail from Pavla, Neomega resin engine nacelles plus a spare BP mid upper turret from a Revell Halifax, which required the hole in the fuselage to be opened up. Also, see if you can spot the shark mouth

-13 Sqn RAAF in Australia- Another straight from the box, with scratch cockpit, spares box extras.

;

DSCF0464-NEW.jpg

DSCF0465-NEW.jpg

DSCF0466-NEW.jpg

DSCF0467-NEW.jpg

Cheers

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

They look great Tony! I can see the subtle differences easier when they're side by side. Great collection!    👍

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks Bill,..... I`ve added the two new ones to that original Commonwealth Ventura`s post to update it too.