Hasegawa F-4E Phantom 1/72

Hi All

This is the old 1980s boxing of the F-4E Phantom which although quite basic has a good shape and goes together pretty well. Built completely OOB apart from pinching a canopy and wheels from a Fujimi F-4K/M. I used the kit decals which held up surprisingly well. Paints are Mr Hobby and Vallejo for a 52nd TFW machine based at Spangdahlem in the 1980s. The build brought back happy memories of when these aircraft were regular airshow participants in the UK at that time. 

Thanks for looking. Comments as always much appreciated 

Cheers! 

IMG_20210331_112404

IMG_20210331_112448

IMG_20210331_112524

IMG_20210331_112536

IMG_20210331_112432

IMG_20210331_112506

IMG_20210331_112419

Edited by binbrook87
  • Like 54

An excellent build. I like the addition of the travel pods. You don't see those on a model very often. They definitely add something to the finished model.

• Thanks 1

Very nice Rhino! I really like the scheme you chose, and I agree that the travel pods really add character. The old Hasegawa Phantoms can still be made into a very nice model, as you have done with this one. Well done! 👍

Mike

• Thanks 1

Great job on that old Hasegawa F-4!  This was the first kit I built when I returned to modeling a few years ago (after a very long time). A little love & attention is all it needs to turn out nicely, as you have shown. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, SAT69 said:

An excellent build. I like the addition of the travel pods. You don't see those on a model very often. They definitely add something to the finished model.

Thanks! I had to use something on the inner pylons as unfortunately the kit is not overloaded with weapons. Just these, the tanks, and some basic AIM-7s. Hasegawa did always like you to use their weapons sets! Kerrrching! 💲💲😁

1 hour ago, Gene K said:

Pretty amazing what a skilled modeller like yourself can do with an older kit. Speaks well of Hasegawa too!

Gene K

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really just an average modeller. Amazing how a camouflage paint job can cover up a load of mistakes! 😁

• Haha 1

Amazing build and paint job.  Other than using a cream color instead of white and being a little too thick, I have found Hasegawa decals , even from the 1980s, are quite usable.  

Fantastic work.  

• Thanks 1

Very nice,.... I remember seeing them flying in Germany in this scheme and remember the scheme being newly brought in,..... crikey I`m getting old! Nice to see an old SP Phantom in this very warlike and aggressive looking scheme,

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, binbrook87 said:

The build brought back happy memories of when these aircraft were regular airshow participants in the UK at that time. 

Echoing everyone elses' positive comments.  You've brought back long distant memories of days out visiting Air Days at places like Mildenhall, Alconbury, Bentwaters and Lakenheath particularly as the aircraft is in its Static Display fit with travel pods packed full of lawn chairs and sensibly priced squadron "gissits".

• Thanks 1

Super build!  The colors look great. 

I was at the 1986 Upper Heyford airshow with a Southeast Asia wraparound camo’d E and a freshly painted Euro 1 G model. I remember an English plane spotter came up to the jets and told me that the G was a new jet to our squadron (23rd TFS). He had a notebook of tail numbers for various squadrons. I was impressed at his dedication to keeping his records up to date. Also a little freaked out.  Good times...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark V said:

Super build!  The colors look great. 

I was at the 1986 Upper Heyford airshow with a Southeast Asia wraparound camo’d E and a freshly painted Euro 1 G model. I remember an English plane spotter came up to the jets and told me that the G was a new jet to our squadron (23rd TFS). He had a notebook of tail numbers for various squadrons. I was impressed at his dedication to keeping his records up to date. Also a little freaked out.  Good times...

Haha that's a great story. Yes us Brit plane nuts can be a little obsessive at times! Saw the SP jets many many times during the 80s.... always a pleasure to see as they were frequent airshow attendees. Happy days!

Thanks for the compliments.

26 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Haha that's a great story. Yes us Brit plane nuts can be a little obsessive at times!

Visiting the long departed Waddington Air Day one year I was talking with the Sentinel crew about their shiny new aircraft when another visitor asked what the aircraft's registion was: after noting it in his book he asked what its engines were, for a second he looked blank after being told they were manufactured by Rolls Royce before adding to his question: "sorry, do you know the engines' serial numbers please?".

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, binbrook87 said:

Haha that's a great story. Yes us Brit plane nuts can be a little obsessive at times! Saw the SP jets many many times during the 80s.... always a pleasure to see as they were frequent airshow attendees. Happy days!

Thanks for the compliments.

Not just you Brits, back I '96. The carrier JFK visited Dublin and a number of the complement flew off and were on static display at the airport on what was normally my flying club's ramp. I went to visit naturally and made my way to the F14. The pilot was there, surrounded by eager enthusiasts, fielding lots of questions. . It was an A model. Someone asked when they'd be getting the D model. He said he didn't know but from the crowd a voice told him when it was due. I remember it distinctly, he shook his head and said 'You guys really know your stuff'. 😂

Someone else who knows his stuff is Binbrook87. A very nice Phantom indeed. 

• Thanks 1

Hi,

these Hasegawa kits never get old and there are very few wrinkles to find. I really like them.

Congrats on a outstanding build!

All the boxes are ticked.

JR

• Thanks 1